Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

Sorry mate you're not fooling me.

If you had put down at the start of the window what you had expected Spurs to do this summer there is no way it would be "bring in a few squad players".

I'm with BOF, we've had a let off big time this window. I was expecting players like Suarez, Fabiano etc to come into Spurs with your new found Champions League status.

I don't see how Villa have "had a let off big time this window" at all, to be honest fella.

Villa have lost their best player and their top class manager.

Spurs have bought in an experienced central defender to challenge the allegedly "shit" Dawson. A defensive midfielder who's coming with a big reputation, having just won the South American version of the Champion's League. A truly top class attacking midfielder, who won't have been the first to have their career stagnate at the merry-go-round of Real Madrid (ironic coming from a Spurs fan, I know) As well as solid goalkeeping back up for Gomes, as Cudicini has never convinced me in a Spurs jersey.

And they've bought those four players in for £16m.

And just as importantly, Spurs have also tied down Redknapp, Modric and Bale to long term contracts, and with no first team squad players leaving.

So Spurs are stronger than last season, whereas Villa are weaker than last season. And Spurs also finished 4th last year, Villa finished 6th.

Also, I'm sure most, if not all, Spurs fans are disappointed to not have bought in a truly top class striker, but that's easier said than done, especially when you're only in your debut Champion's League season.

Spurs have a squad more than capable of challenging the top four again this year. If they succeed, I'd expect a high calibre striker to be on his way. Until then though, the current strikers are decent enough. They just need to put their goalscoring boots back on.

And just as import

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a let off because it could have been so much worse for us if you had spent big and truely streaked away.

I don't know if you were saving for the new stadium or waiting till you made the group stages before spending but to have you guys only spend £16m the season you made the champions league is much better than most Villa fans would have feared at the start of June.

I don't check the Spurs boards but there must be a number of fans on there grumbling that you haven't made more of this window.

It's been difficult since there's no activity in the market, if we were to bring more players in there had to be some going out as well (wage budget & 25 man rule) and there just weren't any takers. Also the top targets were either not willing to move or their clubs not interested to sell within reason. I'm sure we'd prefer to have someone like Dzeko, but there just weren't any candidates this time around.

All in all the transferwindow was good for Spurs though;

Pletikosa, Gallas, Sandro and van der Vaart in.

New contracts for King, Bale, Modric - no key players wanting out.

VDV is a quality signing for that price. Villa fans were jizzing at the thought of him not long ago, but now he's joined Spurs he's ordinary all of a sudden. Something to do with the green eyed monster i reckon.

It was Sneijder we were all excited about from my memory.

Van Der Vaart is a good signing for 8million but that's the only one they made this whole summer that other teams would be envious of.

That is a wasted champions league transfer window in my book.

It's a let off because it could have been so much worse for us if you had spent big and truely streaked away.

I don't know if you were saving for the new stadium or waiting till you made the group stages before spending but to have you guys only spend £16m the season you made the champions league is much better than most Villa fans would have feared at the start of June.

I don't check the Spurs boards but there must be a number of fans on there grumbling that you haven't made more of this window.

As I said, many fans were hoping for a top class signing. But, who is available at a sensible price who would geatly improve the first team without exploding the wage structure?

Dzeko was a big option, Spurs were quoted £30m.

Forlan was another option, Spurs quoted £20m+ for a 31 year old who either wouldn't have come or would've demanded massive wages.

Fabiano was close to signing three times, apparently, but the company that part owns him continually raised the price, so that was a no go.

Huntelaar was offered for £11m, but he didn't really offer anything different to what is already at the club.

Cardozo was down the list somewhere, but clearly wasn't fancied.

So it wasn't a case of lack of desire or lack of effort to bring in a top class player, it's lack of choice. There was also the problem of not being able to shift players no longer needed from the club. I'm sure Levy and Redknapp assumed that at least a few of Hutton, Jenas, O'Hara, Bentley, Keane and Pavlyuchenko were going to be leaving, freeing up wages and increasing the transfer budget. But offers were hard to come by this window.

The important thing is that the transfer money will still be there in January and next summer, along with £40m+ of assets ready to be sold.

As I said, many fans were hoping for a top class signing. But, who is available at a sensible price who would geatly improve the first team without exploding the wage structure?

Dzeko was a big option, Spurs were quoted £30m.

Forlan was another option, Spurs quoted £20m+ for a 31 year old who either wouldn't have come or would've demanded massive wages.

Fabiano was close to signing three times, apparently, but the company that part owns him continually raised the price, so that was a no go.

Huntelaar was offered for £11m, but he didn't really offer anything different to what is already at the club.

Cardozo was down the list somewhere, but clearly wasn't fancied.

So it wasn't a case of lack of desire or lack of effort to bring in a top class player, it's lack of choice. There was also the problem of not being able to shift players no longer needed from the club. I'm sure Levy and Redknapp assumed that at least a few of Hutton, Jenas, O'Hara, Bentley, Keane and Pavlyuchenko were going to be leaving, freeing up wages and increasing the transfer budget. But offers were hard to come by this window.

The important thing is that the transfer money will still be there in January and next summer, along with £40m+ of assets ready to be sold.

Yeah I agree with you, it was just laughable how Glaston had come on saying what a great transfer window Spurs have had when plainly you haven't.

I assume you will try again in january but that is an even tougher window than the summer and good players are cup tied.

If you don't manage to finish 4th again then your chance to attract players by offering them champions league football will have passed by.

... You still could have done with a striker ...

Yep, I agree with this, but there's always the January window, when perhaps some suitable possibilities will become available (and non-CL-cup-tied, provided Spurs are still in the CL for this to make a difference).

Given that Sandro was really signed back in Feb/March time, Spurs haven't spent a fortune this summer, so maybe we'll have some cash left in reserve for the next window.

I would have liked Suarez the most, but that was a non-starter given that Ajax also qualified for the CL.

TBF Glaston did say 'arguably' world-class. Presumably only argued by fans who are clinging to a piss-poor transfer window given the absolute golden opportunity to cement their place among the elite ...

It's hard to take such nonsense seriously.

Just signing VdV alone is a major coup for Spurs by any standards. And as an earlier poster said, had Villa signed him VT would be exploding with delight right now.

Are you even aware of VdV's track record as a player? Lampard is rightly considered to be prolific goal-scorer for a midfielder, with a career total of scoring in 29% of appearances: VdV's equivalent percentage is 37%.

I said VdV is arguably world-class and I stand absolutely by that. Your ignorance is breath-taking.

TBF Glaston did say 'arguably' world-class. Presumably only argued by fans who are clinging to a piss-poor transfer window given the absolute golden opportunity to cement their place among the elite ...

Just signing VdV alone is a major coup for Spurs by any standards. And as an earlier poster said, had Villa signed him VT would be exploding with delight right now.

Are you even aware of VdV's track record as a player? Lampard is rightly considered to be prolific goal-scorer for a midfielder, with a career total of scoring in 29% of appearances: VdV's equivalent percentage is 37%.

I said VdV is arguably world-class and I stand absolutely by that. Your ignorance is breath-taking.

I cant be bothered to invetstigate those stats but despite claiming that his "ignorance is breath taking" im sure BOF may have something to say on the matter ;)

Then it is matched by your arrogance :lol:

At least the other Spurs fans on here can admit you missed a great opportunity this window.

If you don't manage to finish 4th again then your chance to attract players by offering them champions league football will have passed by.

True, but if Spurs don't manage to finish 4th again then the means to which to pay those top players will have been lost too, which means money from elsewhere would have to go towards those high wages.

Levy's not stupid, I'm sure he was well aware that last season may have been a one off, so while I'm sure he would've liked to sprinkle the squad with a world class striker, he also has to maintain profits at the club.

And paying £25m+ transfer fee plus £100k p/w wages + add ons only to then finish 5th or lower and suddenly that big player that was attracted to the CL incentive suddenly becomes a financial burden on the club.

Truth be told, I don't think it was a bad window for Spurs at all. I don't think it was a good one either, they obviously could do with another striker. But i genuinely believe (and i hate to say it)that Spurs will finish Top4 again. And there weren't many players out there who would have been good for Spurs as far as i can tell.

I would have thought a good left back would have been on the shopping list also, not just the big fancy name striker. It looks like a weakness now Bale is playing as a winger.

That had crossed my mind too. The squad is a little bit light at left back, especially when you consider Spurs have about 5 right backs on the books.

But Assou-Ekotto is solid enough and Bale will drop back into defence whenever Assou-Ekotto is unavailable, with one of Modric or Kranjcar moving to the left side of midfield.

And Bassong and Naughton can also play left back if absolutely required.

There is fairly decent cover there, so a new left back would have to come in and be better than all those listed in order for it to be a worthwhile signing, I suppose.

Truth be told, I don't think it was a bad window for Spurs at all. I don't think it was a good one either, they obviously could do with another striker. But i genuinely believe (and i hate to say it)that Spurs will finish Top4 again. And there weren't many players out there who would have been good for Spurs as far as i can tell.

I think Spurs will finish fourth again too. Figured I'd just be called deluded if I just said it outright though. :/

Yeah I don't rate Assou-Ekotto myself and he hasn't had a very good start to the season. Away to Young Boys he was haulled off and he was poor again against Wigan.

The way Harry has been reacting to some of his performances I thought he was going to be replaced for sure.

Â