O'Neill's Fate

maqroll

What is MON's Fate?  

236 members have voted

1. 1. What is MON's Fate?

• Stays on as Manager for the Whole Season
    • Quits at Some Point
    • Sacked at Some Point

perhaps the "experts" need to look a bit deeper than simply saying "villa fans should stop knocking mon and look where they finished in the league last year" when they talk about the club.

best thing about the club? didnt we exist before 2006 or something?

mon might need time, but he needs about half a dozen players as well.

The point being half a dozen players who will be hit and miss at best, even if he gets round to buying them, if his transfer history at the club is to be taken into consideration. (Although i think 4 decent players, 3 defenders and a goalscorer would suffice personally).

Downing and Delph both said Martin O'Neill was the main reason why they joined Villa. Were they wrong?
I daresay Collymore said the same about Gregory and Justin Fashanu said something similat about Clough when he joined Forest.

Did anyone watch the Sunday Supplement this morning?

Paul Hayward of the Observer said that it would be inconceivable for Villa to get rid of Martin O'Neill. He said that if that happened we might as well close the club, as MON is the best thing about the club. The rest of the panel agreed fulsomely and all of them thought that those Villa fans who wanted MON out were short sighted and misguided. They said that he needs the time that Moyes has been given to build something great at AVFC, and rated both MON and Moyes as great managers.

Perhaps it's time that we took a step back and looked at MON and Villa from a more unemotional perspective.

Yes, where on earth would we find another manager with such a sound defensive record as O'Neill? Where, oh where would be the manager willing to come to work for £3m a year, with one of the best owners in the league? How on earth would we replace a man who saw fit to spend £25m on Davies, Cuellar and Shorey.

If O'Neill ever left, who else could we get to waste Randy's money? I mean 6th place in the league, it takes a special kind of manager to achieve that.....

I hope he turns it around, but to be honest I cant ever remember a manager at this club turning something like this around once the momentum and mood is the way it is

I dont think he'll be sacked though

i agree with this...

I think it can be done, for me it's a confidence thing at the moment. We've got some good players at this club, they just need to believe in themselves, believe that there's life after Laursen and Barry.

A good performance and win (or even a draw) against Liverpool (doesn't like likely atm I know, but hear me out), a good performance and a two-goal (or more) win against Rapid Vienna, 3 or 4 new signings of the quality that most fans seem to be happy with (say Warnock, Distin, Upson, Tuncay or players of that ilk) and the momentum and the mood will be turned. Fans will be upbeat, positive and optimistic again. We're funny that way.

It's why they call us fickle :lol:

MON buys low profile mediocre players that are dull to watch. The club has its potential of growth held back by this...and many other things that are more solid football matters.

John Carew is low profile and mediocre? Ashley Young is low profile and mediocre? James Milner is low profile and mediocre?

We can't attract Champion's League level players because we won't pay them silly money and because we're not in the competition. So we buy the best of the rest and, funnily enough, our league positions in two consecutive seasons were what you would expect of a team that has players who are the 'best of the rest'.

It is frustrating, but your ire would be better aimed at UEFA who have done nothing to break the status quo and the hierarchy of the Premier League who favour a set in stone top four.

As for other matters -- our reserves finished top of the reserve league last season, thus indicating we have a very solid base for the future. Yet people want shot of the manager that has turned us into a force? Very, very odd indeed.

Did anyone watch the Sunday Supplement this morning?

Paul Hayward of the Observer said that it would be inconceivable for Villa to get rid of Martin O'Neill. He said that if that happened we might as well close the club, as MON is the best thing about the club. The rest of the panel agreed fulsomely and all of them thought that those Villa fans who wanted MON out were short sighted and misguided. They said that he needs the time that Moyes has been given to build something great at AVFC, and rated both MON and Moyes as great managers.

Perhaps it's time that we took a step back and looked at MON and Villa from a more unemotional perspective.

Yes, where on earth would we find another manager with such a sound defensive record as O'Neill? Where, oh where would be the manager willing to come to work for £3m a year, with one of the best owners in the league? How on earth would we replace a man who saw fit to spend £25m on Davies, Cuellar and Shorey.

If O'Neill ever left, who else could we get to waste Randy's money? I mean 6th place in the league, it takes a special kind of manager to achieve that.....

Looking at the squad we had two years prior to our first 6th place, then yeah, I'd say it takes a special kind of manager to achieve that.

Oh, and I see that the sum spent on Davies, Cuellar and Shorey is rising by the minute....

Think Mon will quit if he See's things getting to such a state with no way of establishing the status Que at the club, also if you remember Mon said 5 years, well if this season turns sour, we won't recover in the 5th season that's for sure. He will walk in a very considered and deliberate business like manner.

As for the pundits on the box, they say that about every manager coming under pressure, its like a clique, they did it with Newcastle last year, they do it until there is no way back for a club other than relegation, then they come out and say how shambolic the club as been run, did that with Newcastle also.

Liverpool tomorrow, then 2nd legg Rapid followed by Fulham and then B'ham, I can honestly see Fulham giving us a real battle, i think Liverpool will be a bridge way to far for us, so the banana skins are without doubt IMO, Rapid and B'ham, if we win both, Mon will remain intact, to lose both and we become real strugglers in the Prem, thats when i think Mon would say, enough is enough.

Not really on topic, but no point in starting another thread either.

When people tell you that the only people who are 'restless' about the present situation and a load of negative whinging keyboard warriors are posters on VillaTalk, I suggest you have a look at one of the other leading fan sites, Vital Villa.

There is a poll there in which people are asked if they think MON is the right man for the job. 104 say he is. 109 say he isn't.

There you are. "Not many people know that." ©Michael Caine

Not really on topic, but no point in starting another thread either.

When people tell you that the only people who are 'restless' about the present situation and a load of negative whinging keyboard warriors are posters on VillaTalk, I suggest you have a look at one of the other leading fan sites, Vital Villa.

There is a poll there in which people are asked if they think MON is the right man for the job. 104 say he is. 109 say he isn't.

There you are. "Not many people know that." ©Michael Caine

One could argue that Vital Villa is the most negative Villa fan site on the web, and that a lot of 'positive' posters have left the site because of 'the atmosphere' and their affection for conspiracy theories. :winkold:

I am an unabashed optimist and I love Mon warts and all. I understand that my views can be annoying and I'm not saying that I'm right and that posters who have real doubts are wrong. It's just the way I choose to support Villa, win lose or draw. UP THE VILLA!!!!

I am an unabashed optimist and I love Mon warts and all. I understand that my views can be annoying and I'm not saying that I'm right and that posters who have real doubts are wrong. It's just the way I choose to support Villa, win lose or draw. UP THE VILLA!!!!

Well, whad'ya know, that's how I feel!

I know being an optimist or pessismist is not always something you can choose, therefore I count myself lucky being born one (an optimist that is).

I spend my days as a Villa fan being upbeat and optimistic looking forward to every game, thinking we can win. Then the weekend comes, if we win I'm overjoyed and still happy, if we lose it's a bummer.

In a 'losing week' then at least I have spent half the time feeling upbeat and optimistic, rather than being a miserable, negative son of a gun one hundred percent of the time.

:cheers:

We can't attract Champion's League level players because we won't pay them silly money and because we're not in the competition. So we buy the best of the rest and, funnily enough, our league positions in two consecutive seasons were what you would expect of a team that has players who are the 'best of the rest'.

Some of the players are "best of the rest" I agree, eg Ashley Young, Luke Young, Milner and on his day, Petrov. When fit, I'd actually say that Carew is probably the closest we have to a proper top four calibre player.

However, too many are decidedly mediocre, and are nowhere near "best of the rest" eg Sidwell, NRC, Knight and Heskey, and I'm afraid, some aren't even that good eg Cuellar, Davies, Harewood and Shorey

O'Neill also has the problem in that the other two top 4 calibre players we had, Barry and Laursen, weren't signed by him, and he lacks the ability to replace them with anybody even close to being as good.

Gareth Barry had been part of a team that finished top 6 on at least 3 occasions before O'Neill came along, so I'd say he wasn't that far off. It was only SGE's ridiculous decision to continually overlook Barry that meant Barry's profile wasn't as high as it should have been.

One could argue that Vital Villa is the most negative Villa fan site on the web, and that a lot of 'positive' posters have left the site because of 'the atmosphere' and their affection for conspiracy theories. :winkold:
Hmm. 8) Post on poster. How dare you insinuate that I'm positive! :lol:

Gareth Barry had been part of a team that finished top 6 on at least 3 occasions before O'Neill came along, so I'd say he wasn't that far off. It was only SGE's ridiculous decision to continually overlook Barry that meant Barry's profile wasn't as high as it should have been.

Not sure I agree, don't forget he was on the verge of a £4m move to Pompy when O'Neill arrived, not much top 4 interest then.

Â