O'Neill - stay or go, the update

Risso

Should O'Neill stay or go?  

535 members have voted

1. 1. Should O'Neill stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

So, if MON goes, who is going to come in and do a better job? I honestly can't believe that this thread could be a logical debate. There is no one in football who could do a better job. What we do need assistance in is buying new players, and getting better scouting, however, to replace MON is just ludicrous.

No one in football? Jesus...

you say that and then offer no names as to who you want

same as most of the others who want him out, easy to slag MON, harder to offer a sensible solution

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...the press told you? And btw...isnt Ashley the God diving quite regular?

It was in the English papers, so you may have missed it. And yes Ashley dives far too much, needs to cut it out. But he is only one player in our team, Chelsea do it all the time -- they are trained to take every advantage they can however much cheating or gamesmanship is involved.

The thing with MON is now, i honestly don't think he has a clue what to do next. Our squad should have been sorted by now, his first team plans and tactics should have been sorted. I think Villa is too big of a club for him to manage.

The thing with MON is now, i honestly don't think he has a clue what to do next. Our squad should have been sorted by now, his first team plans and tactics should have been sorted. I think Villa is too big of a club for him to manage.

because villa are such a huge step up from celtic?

Guest Ricardomeister
So, if MON goes, who is going to come in and do a better job? I honestly can't believe that this thread could be a logical debate. There is no one in football who could do a better job. What we do need assistance in is buying new players, and getting better scouting, however, to replace MON is just ludicrous.

No one in football? Jesus...

you say that and then offer no names as to who you want

same as most of the others who want him out, easy to slag MON, harder to offer a sensible solution

To categorically state that there is "no one in football who could do a better job" is totally wrong imo. I am sure there are quite a few who could do better and also quite a few who could do worse.

The only way to find out if someone could do better is to give them the job, but I don't think we are at that stage yet.

I do think that both Randy and MON will need to change their conservative approach as that will only take us so far. Eventually you will have to take a risk or two if you want real success. Are we prepared to risk failing in order to potentially have true success? I guess we will have to wait and see.

In my opinion he needs to revert to the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation that brought us the results in the early to mid part of last season, our midfield looks brittle and weak with only 2 in the middle and we really lack ideas apart from playing to Ashley on the left and then leaving him with 2 or 3 opposition players around him and hoping that he miraculously manages to skip past them all.

However i'm sure O'Neill knows what the problems are and i trust him to sort them out.

Put it this way, if we sack MON, we'll be a laughing stock! If people seriously think Hiddink, they've been on some serious medication. Next someone will say why not try for Wenger or Mourinho. I've watched the game again, and you know what alot of blame does lie with MON, his tactics were all wrong, but credit where credits due, Wigan were superb, the pressure they put on us, the way they kept the ball, I really think they'll be darkhorses in this campaign. We'll be back, add a few more 'quality' players. Liverpool is the best game for us, we can go there with no pressure and just play our game.

If you cant handle discussions without being offensive then leave it. I am fine and I dont need medication. You on the other hand needs to finish your education.

Tricella, everything is offensive to you! You've been waiting for this day a long time, so i'll let you gloat.

Yes we had a poor finish to the season and we were terrible yesterday but i think fans lose their confidence in the manager too easily. I think most fans are fickel and that goes for most clubs (eg 5 seasons ago utd fans were calling for fergie's head when they didnt win anything major in 3 years, now u would find it hard to find one complaint about fergie.) Yes we havent won anything under o' neil but he has established us a top six club and a contender for the top 4, When was the last time that was said before o'neil took over, its sad to see that fans have no faith in their manager or team..

The majority want MON to stay, that debate is over, he stays. The problem I think we all see is that we do have some great players, why are they not performing

They start to panic far to easily and then the hoof ball comes into play. IMO opinion some think has gone missing, perhaps its confidence?

When will he play 4-5-1? We need to go back to basics, not loosing. The next 4 games could easily see us with out a win, just hope we start to stop loosing before the pressure really starts to build.

I never thought the day would come when I would think it would be in the best interests of Aston Villa Football Club that Martin should leave the club. However, we have been preforming badly since the end of last February but he has not been able to turn it around.

Over that time there has been a catalogue of poor decisions with team selection and I'm sorry to say I don't see a magic wand that will fix all the problems that has been slowly, but surely building up.

It's as if Martin is working with a blue print from the 70's in terms of tactics, man motivation and insisting on running the club his way only.

Sounds a bit like Brian Clough? well yes it does and also in my opinion, I believe Martin is now fighting for his professional reputation to remain as a top manager. The thing is how long will it take to turn it around and more importantly can he do it?.......I sincerely hope so but sadly, I fear the worst.

Martin O´Neill is not bigger than Aston Villa FC!

Who said he was?

Sacking a manager like MON after one game into the season would make us the laughing stock of football.

Let's not follow the Spurs/Newcastle model.

We need to keep our nerve FFS - it's only one game into the season.

People has been talking about all 2009! You keep on nagging about one game! It is 18 games and two wins...MANY managers would´ve got the sack with that statistics...and add that to the fact on how the team looked yesterday.

Why do people think we be Newcastle and Spurs all of a sudden? Are you kidding yourself to believe MON is the only solution for Villa?

I'm not 'nagging on' about anything pal, I've ony posted twice in this thread.

If you think it's a good idea to sack the manager tomorrow, one game into the season with the transfer window still open, then fair enough. But then you should also have an opinion on who is available to come in and do a better job?? So who??

Many is suitable to be fair but I named Guus Hiddink as one...(now people will minimize Aston Villa and say that I am an idiot to think he will join..but that is my opinion that Hiddink could be a reasonable manager for Villa).

Is he realistically available though? If he was, he would be Chelsea manager now. He is Russian boss, and isn't he also some kind of technical director at Chelsea as well?

So, who is AVAILABLE and could come in and do a better job?

Frank Rijkaard and Robert Mancini are the only available managers that would bring something different i can think off.

Would they do a better job? Who knows, but they'd bring a different philosophy and different ideas.

I'm happy with MON for now, but if worst comes to worst those two would be my choice.

Not Alan **** Curbishley, as some tit said on another thread.

He's had long enough to build a squad with strength in depth and yet after all this time its still on the ground.

That's the problem. It's not on the ground but up in the sky, Wimbledon style. When we were playing shit last season he could've made it rather easier by using Barry and Petrov more. 2 players good at ball retention and passing and instead he got the team hoofing balls up to the front me. Now he had Delph and Petrov yesterday, use them to their strengths, aka keeping the ball and passing. Central midfield is a major problem cos he won't **** use them properly!!!!

For me it matters not who he brings in, as long as this shit non-league style football carries on we won't push on at all.

your spot on stewie,i couldnt agree more mate..all the money that he spent and we play like shit hooof hooof all game..it reminds me of the Jack Charlton days in ireland,the only thing about then was we done ok,mon is stuck in the past imo,he thinks he can play the same tactics in the prem as he did in the SPL..i have news for him it wont work..

Frank Rijkaard and Robert Mancini are the only available managers that would bring something different i can think off.

Would they do a better job? Who knows, but they'd bring a different philosophy and different ideas.

I'm happy with MON for now, but if worst comes to worst those two would be my choice.

Not Alan **** Curbishley, as some tit said on another thread.

FR is the galatasary manager so he's a no, Guus as someone else said, we have no chance!

Guus would be a great appointment if we could get him!

The whole point is thought that even if we needed a new manager, we couldn't get him.

Who realistically is available, and would be willing to come to Villa, and would improve on what we've got, which is two top-six finishes and two European qualifications in two years?

because villa are such a huge step up from celtic?

the league we play in is..ffs get your i love mon bloody hats off for once..

Â