O'Neill - stay or go, the update

Risso

Should O'Neill stay or go?  

535 members have voted

1. 1. Should O'Neill stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

Stay for me. Although I feel this season may well be his last if we fail to do something. Finishing in the top six should be expected this season and if it isn't achieved then MON should be held responsible.

He has had the opportunity to strengthen the squad and has not done so thus far. Hopefully he will get this sorted in the coming weeks before the window shuts. Yet, I'm not sure if he is capable of attracting good enough players. Time will tell.

There is no doubt that MON can be extremely frustrating as a manager, yet he also has so many positives. This season will be a big one for him though and he can have no excuses if we fail to do well.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would we even be wasting our time being fans then since we "long for a defeat".

Honestly I think a lot of our more negative posters really enjoyed that game yesterday. There are all sorts of posters mentioning how 'they knew it was coming', and pointing out how they've been doomsaying for the last three years etc etc.

I can imagine them sitting at their keyboard, rubbing their hands with glee as they let loose all their frustration.

Expectations at Villa Park are ridiculous these days. We have no right to beat Wigan. We have the right to see effort and application from our players (something which we didn't see from most of the team yesterday). We have no right to see fancy dan football played out by world class players.

We are on our way to being the next Newcastle in terms of expectations. Our booing and negativity and lack of support to team and management are all our very own though.

why would we even be wasting our time being fans then since we "long for a defeat".

Honestly I think a lot of our more negative posters really enjoyed that game yesterday. There are all sorts of posters mentioning how 'they knew it was coming', and pointing out how they've been doomsaying for the last three years etc etc.

I can imagine them sitting at their keyboard, rubbing their hands with glee as they let loose all their frustration.

Expectations at Villa Park are ridiculous these days. We have no right to beat Wigan. We have the right to see effort and application from our players (something which we didn't see from most of the team yesterday). We have no right to see fancy dan football played out by world class players.

We are on our way to being the next Newcastle in terms of expectations. Our booing and negativity and lack of support to team and management are all our very own though.

Nothing remotely shit-stirring or conflictive about that post then.

Careful you might get red ink for that.

I haven't actually voted but I would draw your attention to the Newcastle situation when they had Sir Bobby Robson. Their fans got pissed off with finishing around 5th/6th etc and thought that he'd taken them as far as he could. They sack him and went out to get the up and coming, relatively well thought of Sam Allardyce. Look at the barcodes now. It all started to fall apart because of sacking Bobby. Would we be making the same mistake? Who would come to Villa that is better than what we currently have?

Just for the record. I'd love MON to be more expansive with his signings but perhaps we just can't get the people we really want in order to take us further up the pecking order. We have to sign the best of the rest, jump on the carcass of the relegated teams etc. That damn glass ceiling eh?

While I am not one of these doomsayers you mention, I have no idea how you can say we have no right to beat Wigan. We should expect to beat teams like Wigan. Being that MON has spent so much money on the squad and that we have better players (although it didn't seem like it yesterday).

I think our expectations should be high in all honesty. Yet I feel that there is one person who has low expectations for us, thus hampering our signings and possibly team morale. That man is MON....

I don't want him to get the sack but he really needs to pull his finger out and get us going again. I think he can do it and I hope that he does.

I have no idea how you can say we have no right to beat Wigan.

If teams had a "right" to beat each other it would make for a very boring season, no? :P Add to that the fact that we've never beaten Wigan at home in the Premier League and expectations were a little too high yesterday.

Although for the first 15-20 minutes it looked like we'd get our first win over them, then we capitulated in a fashion that only the Villa can do. It brought back a lot of memories from years gone by, and not good ones!

It is just my opinion. I don't see it as "shit-stirring or conflictive", rather a call for more realistic expectations and less booing. Yes, I know people have the right to boo but I don't see it as helpful in the slightest.

Shocking...

To suggest MON should be sacked is a **** joke and anyone suggesting it should be ashamed. I mean seriously last week after pre-season we were world beaters, one bad performance and some shakey performances its the end of the world. Its not its a 2-0 loss to good side Wigan.

Its not ideal but get some f'ing perspective.

'We're not fickle, we just dont like you' No we are just fickle and its an absolute embarrassment.

It is just my opinion. I don't see it as "shit-stirring or conflictive", rather a call for more realistic expectations and less booing. Yes, I know people have the right to boo but I don't see it as helpful in the slightest.

well if your happy with 2 wins in 18 good on you,you must be more than happy living in the mid table Ellis days..

To suggest MON should be sacked is a **** joke and anyone suggesting it should be ashamed. I mean seriously last week after pre-season we were world beaters, one bad performance and some shakey performances its the end of the world. Its not its a 2-0 loss to good side Wigan.

'We're not fickle, we just dont like you' No we are just fickle and its an absolute embarrassment.

So..out of curiousity..do you think we have a strong squad? Do you like the way we play? I am now talking about competitive games from last season second half and until yesterday. How can you say that Villa fans are fickle after watching the club fail BIG in many PL games...and also failing quite considerable to improve the squad with quality signings?

I am amazed that someone can defend it...I really am.

You're making the mistake that a lot are - assuming people are voting the way they are due to one bad game. Well, I'm voting based on the last 20 odd competitive fixtures and have seen nothing to fill me with confidence. If the form continues the way it has been we would be staring at relegation this year. We have a worse team than at the end of last season, with a smaller available squad (injuries) and MON seems to be losing the plot as regards tactics, team selection and substitutions.

One game does not make people react like this, basically anything 2009 has.

You're making the mistake that a lot are - assuming people are voting the way they are due to one bad game. Well, I'm voting based on the last 20 odd competitive fixtures and have seen nothing to fill me with confidence. If the form continues the way it has been we would be staring at relegation this year. We have a worse team than at the end of last season, with a smaller available squad (injuries) and MON seems to be losing the plot as regards tactics, team selection and substitutions.

One game does not make people react like this, basically anything 2009 has.

This is exactly why...

i say we give him until december to address the big problems at the moment. we should be pushing on but we are just going backwards.

he has had all summer to get the defence sorted. he could have signed a class striker like defoe TWICE but ignored to sign him and instead we end up with heskey. he was blown 12m on a player we cant play until christmas!!

what kind of decisions are this??? too much of a gamble

So..out of curiousity..do you think we have a strong squad? Do you like the way we play? I am now talking about competitive games from last season second half and until yesterday. How can you say that Villa fans are fickle after watching the club fail BIG in many PL games...and also failing quite considerable to improve the squad with quality signings?

I am amazed that someone can defend it...I really am.

I think we should change the formation, I think we are 3 players short of a good squad, I am not happy and I want MON to take control of the situation.

But I also have a better memory than some clearly, I dont think he is the messiah I am not apologising for the stupid stuff he does.

But what im saying is to suggest a manager, a manager that saves us from the brink of relegation should be sacked after 1 game THIS season is a joke.

We tailed off last season, we all know, stop barking on about it. I think the fact we started last season in July has a big factor on that.

What happened to fresh season, fresh start. Thats what I see, our pre-season form was good, we played good football, we beat big teams.

MON made some massive mistakes yesterday, but too often us Villa fans jump the gun, its embarrassing.

Getting rid of MON after a bad game against a good wigan side would destroy us, not because MON is a god-send but the players we have that are decent would want out, the fans would be in uproar and a new manager would have no time to make his own signings.

What we need is a player like Distin and a decent left back and a change back to 4-5-1, I trust this will happen.

People just seriously need to get a grip. Because in 10 games time when were playing good football and winning games you'll all be positive again.

I hand you all back your dummies and I look forward to the next game.

Don't know if this was mentioned earlier in the thread but if MON went I think some of our best prospects would be out of the door in the following transfer window. All of the work to date to put the squad together would be undone, a tragic waste when we only need another three decent players and a rethink of the formation to get back on track.

Definitely not time for him to go but he does need to look at what he is doing with brutal honesty and make some changes.

Â