Who's gonna win and how?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Who's gonna win and how?

• Hatton on points
    • Hatton T/KO
    • Draw
    • Pac on points
    • Pac T/KO

After Manny Pacquiao's two round destruction of Ricky Hatton on Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, promoter Bob Arum told reporters that Pacquiao's next fight will likely come against WBA welterweight champion Miguel Cotto in either November or December. He said Pacquiao will be in New York to sit ringside at Madison Square Garden for Cotto's fight against Joshua Clottey.

While many would expect a fight between Pacquiao and the winner of the July 18 bout between Juan Manuel Marquez and Floyd Mayweather Jr, Arum has a lot of heat with Mayweather and his manager Al Haymon. There could also be some very big problems with making the fight when it comes to the split of the money. Mayweather is sure to want at least 50% or more, and Arum has already said that Pacquiao will be getting the bulk of the money if the two sides every sit down to negoiate a possible fight. Since Arum promotes both Pacquiao and Cotto, it's a much easier fight for him to make.

I mentioned the purse problems on another forum & sadly I might have been right. I still think it'll be resolved at some point.

Should be a 50/50 split imo, both fighters have the same to lose or gain.

They have been the top p4p fighters within a very very close space of time and appear to be of similar ability. Floyd will want to retire knowing that there was not anyone around that he couldnt beat, not just that he retired just as that person came along. Manny will not want people to say he is champion....but only because Mayweather had given it up.

When two fighters overlap so closely and are both so highly rated then folks will always dispute who was the better. So I agree with Harry Hill, there is only one way to settle this....

They need to stick Floyd on the end of that!

No chance.

Really? None at all?

I could understand if you slightly favoured Mayweather but it is a fight that could feasibly go either way. For example bookies will probably come down in slight favour of a favourite, but it doesnt mean they'll be giving the other guy no chance, the odds will be close.

At this moment in time i would favouor Pacquiao myself. But only just.

No chance.

Really? None at all?

I could understand if you slightly favoured Mayweather but it is a fight that could feasibly go either way. For example bookies will probably come down in slight favour of a favourite, but it doesnt mean they'll be giving the other guy no chance, the odds will be close.

Floyd is bigger than anyone he's faced. Floyd is better than anyone he's faced. Pac throws wild punches coming forward which Floyd will counter and eventually stop him late on. I think Floyd will have to put in a very good performance to win & it'll be tough, but I don't see Pac winning.

so,i wounder will Hatton be dropping Mayweather sir as his trainer now?..or will it be the other way around,its prob a silly question really seen as we dont even know if Hatton will ever fight again..

If he fights again, I don't think Mayweather Snr will be in his corner.

Rumours were rife prior to the Pac fight, that the pair had fallen out.

Apprently Mayweather Snr was turning up late for training sessions etc.

I watched Hatton/Pac 24/7 before the fight, and in one Mayweather Snr made himself late for a training session because he stopped off at Taco Bell. Ricky wasn't happy. :evil:

No chance.

Really? None at all?

Floyd is bigger than anyone he's faced. Floyd is better than anyone he's faced. Pac throws wild punches coming forward which Floyd will counter and eventually stop him late on. I think Floyd will have to put in a very good performance to win & it'll be tough, but I don't see Pac winning.

Fair enough, i think alot of people will agree with that. I can see it happening but i can also see Manny's speed and power overbearing him at some point, a point which will be pivotal in dertermining the rest of the fight. I think the whole of the boxing world wants to see this one played out now. :D

Haven't you learned anything in the last year?

Boxing isn't about size, it isn't about a few pounds. Pac started at 106 and just destroyed two boxers who are naturally a lot bigger.

Mayweather's style means size really becomes irrelevant, doesn't mean anything.

Mayweather will sit on the ropes and Pacquiao will look to pick holes with quick, sharp punches. Mayweather has the perfect punch to disabled a southpaw, the lead right hand.

And there's absolutely no way that Mayweather stops Pacquiao, not a chance.

It's a 50/50 fight that needs to happen.

Well Pac man got rid of 2 heavier guys alot easier than Floyd did. Some people thought that DLH and Hatton were too big and he out classed them with skill and speed.

You also have to remember, i think Floyd would have to knock Pac out because if anyone wins on points, i think its pac-man.

Boxing isn't about size, it isn't about a few pounds. Pac started at 106 and just destroyed two boxers who are naturally a lot bigger.

Mayweather will sit on the ropes and Pacquiao will look to pick holes with quick, sharp punches. Mayweather has the perfect punch to disabled a southpaw, the lead right hand.

Yea! Gabby15, have some of that! :winkold:

People said that Pac wouldn't stop Hatton. Have you not learned anything either? Pac has been stopped at lower weights before and has barely even been hit at above 135. We'll see how his chin stands up against a guy coming in at a strong 150, with a good camp behind him. There's no denying Pac is a great, great fighter but Mayweather is special. Pac might have destroyed two big fighters recently, but DLH was dead and Hatton didn't connect with anything and fought like an absolute amatuer.

Pac got stopped about 10 years when he weighed as much as my cock, he was a wild, free swinging one handed fighter. Fights like that have no bearing on today. And 36 people alone on this thread said Pac would stop Hatton, it was always going to end in a KO for somebody.

Mayweather isn't a puncher and he fights off the back foot, the danger here isn't Pacquiao getting KO'd, the danger would be Mayweather outmanoeuvring Pacman and outboxing him.

Mayweather hasn't fought anybody as good as Pacquiao, just like Pacquiao has never fought anybody as good as Mayweather. Pac's kryptonite is a counter puncher, Mayweather's kryptonite is a fast, accurate, puncher with a great workrate and endless stamina.

Mayweather will do everything he can to avoid this fight, he's a cherry picker. Pacquiao will really have to force this fight and I hope it happens. The fight would be at a catchweight and I doubt it there would be more than 5 pounds between them come fight night, which would mean nothing.

And 36 people alone on this thread said Pac would stop Hatton, it was always going to end in a KO for somebody.

Ill wager that at least 25 of them were people who voted after the fight had ended. ;)

As for the point of Pac's defeats and the fact that he has been stopped? Well, he has lost 3 of 54 fights. 2 of those defeats (both KO's) happened when he was still a kid. He had only just turned 18 and was fighting every four or five weeks when he lost his first bout. The second time he was knocked out he was still only 21. His technique, ring experience and physical power have changed so much since those days that the defeats are completely irrelevant. They dont pad out fighters records with easy wins so they get long undefeated records in every part of the world.

The only other time Pac has lost, and the only one that is significant on his record if you ask me, is the points defeat to Erik Morales. Losing to somebody with the class of the great Erik Morales is no disgrace either. And of course, Pacquiao then went on to knock Morales out twice in their two rematches. The only two times that Morales has been knocked out in a glittering career of his own.

Pacquiao vs Mayweather seems destined to happen. I think it could be our generations Hagler vs Hearns. Here's hoping.

If he fights again, I don't think Mayweather Snr will be in his corner.

Rumours were rife prior to the Pac fight, that the pair had fallen out.

Apprently Mayweather Snr was turning up late for training sessions etc.

I watched Hatton/Pac 24/7 before the fight, and in one Mayweather Snr made himself late for a training session because he stopped off at Taco Bell. Ricky wasn't happy. :evil:

It's wrong to try to put blame on Mayweather for this loss, it's hardly Mayweathers fault that Hatton lost his head on the night, he even asked him what the hell he was playing at after the first round - and for most of the 2nd round it appeared it had sunk in. Hatton actually got caught with that big left hook twice towards the end of the round, the first time wasn't quite as accurate as the 2nd one but it would have taken his head off had it landed cleanly. Then the berk bull-rushed forward right into the same shot again :shock:

Mayweather Snr might be a bit of a prick, but he is a very good trainer....can't polish a turd though I'm afraid. My initial pick for this was Pac by late KO and I still think that's what would have happened if Hatton had fought like he did against Malignaggi, and not like he fought against Tszyu.

Size most certainly does mean something, otherwise why bother with weight classes? Mayweather has advantages over Pac in height, weight, reach and is more skilled and has just as much speed too. This is a relatively easy fight to pick to be honest, people are getting excited because Pac stopped Hatton quicker than Mayweather did, it's meaningless. Unless Mayweather has slipped due to his absence (which I doubt he will have) he'll walk through Marquez with relative ease, then beat Pac too, lopsided decision or late stoppage due to Pac getting desperate like Hatton did when he fought Floyd.

One other point - the De La Hoya that Mayweather beat was a different animal to the one that Pac beat too.

I'm with Gabby on this, I've not got a doubt in my mind that Mayweather will win if the fight comes off.

How do you work out Mayweather has a size advantage? Mayweather came in at 148 - 150 for all his WW fights, Pac came in at 148 for the Hatton fight. They're the same size weight wise, Mayweather has slight advantages in height and reach.

Weight only matters in extremes, a few pounds here and there don't mean anything, skills wins fights not scales.

I don't think Mayweather has carried his speed as well as Pac. Mayweather got floored by Judah and rocked by Corley, so southpaws have got to him. And he can't use his shoulder roll defence againsr southpaws, has to use an orthodox hands up defence instead.

Pac has advantages in speed, workrate and power for me. Pac would definitely be the hardest fight of Mayweather's career, he'd have to find a way to time as Pac bounces in and out....at the same time he'd have to avoid Pacquiao's punches.

Mayweather has the perfect style to take Pac, but I just can't rule Pac out, Pac is a weight jumping phenom.

$49 (£33) a go in the USA too. So well over £80m in PPV sales from these two countries alone.

Dunno how they would have broadcast the fight in the Philippines, im guessing free to air. Wonder how many people watched it over there though? The fight would have started at what, 11:30am Filipino time? Apparently the country stops when Pac fights. Ill bet the advertising spots werent cheap.

Â