World of Warcraft

The_Rev

I hear the consensus on WAR is that, for a PvP focused game, it turned out to be poorly balanced with siege mechanics that didn't work turning many people away once they reached end game.

I played WAR for a while and found it great at first and then soon after really really boring. Questing was the height of tedium, open world PvP or RvR was supposed to be the main aim of the game but the servers were ghost towns. There was no PUG system for getting a team together for the instances and the few who were online just seemed to spend all their time doing scenarios (BG's in warcraft) because you could get quick XP there (and there was nothing else to do). If they wanted the game to suceed they should have had massive populations on very few servers IMO.

There are several problems with a PVP focussed game

1) not many people play PVP to even a basic level as it is massively time intensive to even start to get a grip on it. The top players, those who can really play (which certainly in the case of GW was a tiny number) all naturally gravitate together and pwn everything in sight. This gets really dull really quickly.

2) Creating a game that is perfectly balanced is horribly hard. If you have even the tiniest gap, people will exploit it.You need balanced maps, balanced skills,balanced equipment, balanced win conditions. The only game I have seen that achieves this that could sustain it over time is Counter Strike - which is also the only game with a decently sized high end population

Certainly on the WAR BETA it looked good. my GW Guild played for about 2 weeks and it looked promising, although I quit GW shortly afterwards to concentrate on life.....

Sick of playing Horde on your server? Swap to the Alliance then!

I sense bad things...

That is shocking....

I don't get it though. Will they change your race too? As others said on the forums it would be weird having gnomes on Horde etc. I mean, surely they will make it so you change race too. Anyway, not liking this whatever it is you can do. Just giving way to lazy people once again...

I'm pretty sure you wil be able to chose what race you want to be when you cross faction.

Not a chance will there be Ally Taurens etc.

So... 90% Horde pop BG's and vise versa anyone? People are going to sway to w/e faction dominates the, as that is the case on most Battlegroups. UD's goinf from about 20% representation to 40+?

How long before class changes? Gear swaps? Vanilla WoW realms? Legaly buying epics from Blizzard with real money (thats already the case with some mounts)?

I would imagine its a clever way of stopping people whining on the PvP forums that they regret rolling Night Elf and want to be able to change race.

I would imagine its a clever way of stopping people whining on the PvP forums that they regret rolling Night Elf and want to be able to change race.

Not even the end of all time could stop any of the whining in the PvP forums.

Not even the end of all time could stop any of the whining in the PvP forums.

The WoW PvP forums :crylaugh:

Is there anything worse on the internet? Every time I used to go there I didnt know wither to laugh or hang myself.

This is where Guild Wars wins for PVP

I can roll a PVP only character, fully levelled on roll, with access to all equipment and skills I have unlocked by playing PVE, or if I was really lazy, by buying a PVP pack (an expansion with no PVE content, just skill/equip unlocks). These characters have access to all PVP maps on birth. Player skill>time spent grinding so the marketing said .... bit puzzled why anyone would play PVP on WoW tbh

In Guild wars all the moaning came on the PVE forums from people who found their uber pwn all solo farming necromancer got his skills nerfed because of PVP abuse :lol: Poor lambs.

Seriously, if you want to play PvP, get Counter Strike or Call of Duty 4.

Some people kind of migrated into MMO PvP accidentally....personally I came from "Magic the Gathering" online as did most of my original GW Guildies - although I played a little casual Counter Strike I dont think any of the people I've played MMOs with would go anywhere near that kind of game as a serious competitive pursuit .... there is an extra layer of complexity in an MMO I think ( as there is in MTG) which appeals to a slightly different kind of player - more cerebral, more tactically stimulating - something about the mix of skill sets that(certainly in GW, I cant speak for WoW) is very similar to MTG .... setting up a team build in GW is a very similar pursuit to setting up a deck in MTG .... have we got the balance of skills right.... have we got enough toolbox stuff .... can we counter the meta

You just dont get that with shooters. Although I spent more than 2k hours online on GW PvP, I probably spent twice that designing and testing builds, watching other teams on observer mode to get a handle on what was happening in the meta, discussing tactics on forums and irc etc etc

Â