World of Warcraft

The_Rev

WoWinsider"]

Wrath sells 2.8 million in the first 24 hours

by Mike Schramm

Nov 20th, 2008

We knew it was going to be a lot, but I think the game outsold even our expectations: Blizzard has announced that the game's second expansion, Wrath of the Lich King, sold 2.8 million copies worldwide in the first 24 hours, and undoubtedly many more in the weekend after that (we're expecting an announcement later this month around five million in the first 30 days). That makes the game the fastest selling PC game of all time, and by far the fastest-selling expansion of all time (remember that this isn't even a complete game that's flying off the shelves). The previous record, of course, was set by the Burning Crusade, which sold 2.4 million copies during launch.

Pretty huge, but when you consider that the game has 11 million subscribers around the world, those numbers are just about right. Looks like Morhaime is on to something -- as long as they have players ready to buy the game in numbers like this, Blizzard will undoubtedly release expansions as long as they can.

Blizzard announced they broke the 11m subscriptions barrier and earned over $270m in subscriptions in Q3 this year. Its only going to go up in Q4 isnt it? Whoever had the idea for this game will probably get quite a nice xmas bonus!

L73 now. Could do with a couple of instance runs to update some gear hopefully. It's still the case that gear you get from dungeons is miles better than q rewards, even from long chains.

wowscrnshot112308010442cf5.th.jpgthpix.gif

Soloing a 5 man quest ftw.

Apply slow, shoot instants, run, shoot instants, run, shoot instants, reapply slow. Just make sure you run in a big circle.

Arcane Mage mana regen is such that I can keep it it up forever (fnar!) to the point where Mana Gems and Evocation are there just to speed things up rather than keep me from running OOM.

wowscrnshot112308010442cf5.th.jpgthpix.gif

Soloing a 5 man quest ftw.

Apply slow, shoot instants, run, shoot instants, run, shoot instants, reapply slow. Just make sure you run in a big circle.

Arcane Mage mana regen is such that I can keep it it up forever (fnar!) to the point where Mana Gems and Evocation are there just to speed things up rather than keep me from running OOM.

A lot of the groups quests are noticeably quite easy. I've done all the early two and three man quests by myself with no trouble whatsoever.

Rev, what addon is that bar at the top of your screen? I used to have Fubar but scrapped it. That looks similar. Is it Titan?

Anyway, am enjoying this expansion. Am trying to level both my Mage and my DK now, which is proving to be a bit tedious. Loving the quests, but to be honest there are so many.....

Its fubar. I just changed the colour of it. I have quite a few plugins for it though, which is kinda the point of Fubar I guess.

I like this addon though. Forte Xorcist. Im using as a cooldown timer, and a fine one it is too.

I still don't know how someone with 2 hands can wield 2 2 handers, it's paradoxical

I don't understand how hard it would be for a shaman to hold a sword. It's bigger than a dagger, but smaller than an axe, so what gives?

Â