World of Warcraft

The_Rev

People will sign up for the beta because its free. But like Conan, they will leave in droves once they are asked to pay a monthly fee.

WoW's strength is its graphics. It will run on pretty much anything, which is the key to getting a large subscriber base. People can play it in cybercafe's and on laptops, thats very important and a huge mistake that Conan made. If you want a popular online PC game these days, its a good idea to follow the WoW model of having low system specs. If you can do it in a bit of style (see Team Fortress 2) all the better, but trust me, the only MMO that will "beat" WoW will be one that is made by Blizzard themselves.

Yup. I had to quit AoC because the required specs are just plain ridiculous.

The thing with WoW I find is that it has a certain quality that makes me want to come back.

No matter how many times I cancel my subscription I always end up renewing.

Which is exactly what I'll be doing once I get my damn computer sorted out.

Zoink!

That time at Stormwind was great though. I cant believe that screenshot was taken after an all nighter (it was 5:15 AM or so). I distinctly remember my good self, Dan and Gulthrak going to Darkmoon Faire after a raid, Darkmoon Faire was outside Stormwind at the time. I think we pissed about at the Faire for a couple of hours then we decided to take the Inn in Stormwind which we held for **** ages. There were only five or six of us there. The Dashers in the screenshot and some Mage who's name is on the damage meters.

I remember that night! It was during the 2006 world cup, I stayed up all night and watched England play the next day as knackered as ****.

@ Tarj, I'm in Australia, Brisbane

I'll be home at xmas desperately trying not to buy WOTLK which will surely be out by then?

Yep, its a funny thing.

I'm playing wow on Deathwind, the old server we started on, and made contact with a fiew guildies still playing since befroe the Tarren Mill server migration. - And I've rolled a new class - a Warlcok, whcih has raced to l47, which was kinds of fun, as I'd not played a lock before, and have rolled another Hunter, but a BELF, and been doing the questlines out of Silvermoon and Ghostlands, which I'd not seen before. And its seeing chunks of the game before thats kind of fun.

The thing about wow, is that largely, it works. The trades, ok a bit repetative, and you waste a lot levelling them, but they work, are useful and add to the character. When I played POBTS,the trade skills felt oddly disconnected from the charater. The Auction house as well, just "works", easy to navigate and use. My only critisism is that some of the early zones like the Barrens, Ashenvale seem huge, and then it seems that WOW shrunk a bit, all the outlands zones just seem smaller, too many flight paths, makeing it a bit arcady. When you literally had to spend ages crossing zones, it all felt like Azeroth was "bigger" than it feels these days.

I was quite the opposite, once i had made the journeys to place A, B or C a few times i hated the chore of really long journeys.

11aanpc.png

Which is why i rolled a Mage.

Finally got this game 2-3 weeks ago.

WOW ;) Fantastic..

couldn't get off it the first week or so...down to 2 to 4 hours a day now!

Dangerous game though...First time on i game across a teenage lad who had been online 24 hours straight!!

Level 31 Paladin at moment. Lot to learn still..

I'm 58 now, and I've just moved on to Hellfire.

Is it too soon to go there, 80% of the quests are orange?

When i went in with my Warlock (opening day of TBC) i was level 60 and had some of the finest gear in the game, the quests were stupidly easy. I had so much stamina and spellpower i could solo pretty much anything, though given how many people were in Hellfire Peninsula that week (it was probably a couple of thousand, it was surreal) i always had plenty of help.

When i went in with my Mage, i was level 58 and in greens. I didnt find it too difficult tbh, save a bit of ganking. Luckily most mobs are melee, and Mages are stupidly strong against Melee.

Â