The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Iv been loving the 2 Real draws i have bet in play on both of them. cha-ching. Although last night i won £60 if Villareal won i would have won £170 i was delighted with the 2 reds! Real were still the better side even down to 9 and were closer to getting the winner

But it did appear that Ozil got sent off for absolutely nothing.

Which usually means he questioned the ref's parentage or compared him to the female genital area. Mourinho acts the prize word removed on the sideline and everything follows from that. The other coaches, subs, players and fans all see it and think it's OK. Then the siege mentality kicks in. The 'everyone's against us' thing. Delusion. They were a disgrace at the tail end of last night's match. Khedira was lucky to stay on the pitch too. Two minutes after his yellow card he went through someone in the opposition box and you could see the ref delaying before not booking him again. If anything, Real should have been down to at least 8.

Ozil according to the ref was sent off (straight red) for "clapping/applauding his decision" he didn't say anything about any genital areas..

Rui Faria was sent off for "clapping one of my decisions from the bench" - according to the ref.

Neither of those merited a red and at most was a yellow.

The ref had a shocker last night.

Although my point stands that Madrid have been poor for a while and as it stands it isn't good enough.

You're right on one hand DVIN. It's important to be able to separate the incidents instead of wrapping them into one convenient argument. On one hand it's not good enough that Senna was in a position to equalise in the 83rd minute. Real should have been out of sight. But with regards to the clapping, the Faria & Ozil incidents were not isolated. They were a continuation of what Mourinho had started earlier. Mourinho was sent to the stands for that and more. He also did his whole routine of sarcastic thumbs up with winks and the pointing as only he can when Senna scored.

If Faria & Ozil did not realise that Mourinho had succeeded in winding up the referee to the point where sarcasm would be swiftly dealt with then I'm sorry but they lacked a basic judgement and replaced it with a fairly impressive stupidity. I'm afraid their behaviour was fairly typical of the behaviour at Real since Mourinho has taken over. It is getting results though. They are, after all, still 6pts clear at the top of the league ahead of the team most rate as the best in the world. It just won't win them any friends in the manner they're doing it. And similarly there's no point in really trying to defend their behaviour in and of itself when it happens. Just acknowledge it and take the league title. In other words take the good with the bad and acknowledge both equally.

I agree that the behaviour can be poor at times by both the players and manager but equally I can see why Mourinho has done it at times.. it's stupid but if it means his in the press rather than his squad he'll do it.. I don't necessarily agree with it but I think that is part of the reason why he does some of the things he does (some not all).

Still think the ref should've been more in control of the situation and he wasn't imo.. I reckon with the key players suspended now Madrid will drop more points and i can see barcelona lifting the liga title.

but equally I can see why Mourinho has done it at times.. it's stupid but if it means his in the press rather than his squad he'll do it..

But that doesn't make sense. By doing what he does, his players then do what he does and that hurts the team if and when they get sent off. He'd be much better served by keeping his council while on the sidelines. You'd have Ozil available for the Sociedad game for one thing :)

That referee should be banned, that was one of the worst referee performances I have ever seen. The refereeis either a massive barca fan or was bribed. some of his decisions were strange to say the least.

He made Phil Dowd look world class!!

fair point but I wasn't on about yesterday's incident alone I was on about his general method of deflecting things onto himself..

I think Ozil, Ramos, Pepe, Xabi (5 yellow cards I think) all need a rest so I think it's not the end of the world if they miss the game against sociedad.

I think if Villarreal perform like they did yesterday they'll stay up no problem.

speaking of Villarreal Borja Valero the WBA "reject" is either going to Real Madrid or Barcelona in the summer. Football is a funny game as he a top player just didnt fit in England

That referee should be banned, that was one of the worst referee performances I have ever seen. The refereeis either a massive barca fan or was bribed. some of his decisions were strange to say the least.

He made Phil Dowd look world class!!

Which incidents in particular? It's a stretch to go from a ref having a bad game to him being either bribed or a Barça fan. Every decision that I saw was very easily explainable and most if not all were justified. The only ones I saw that could have been dealt with more leniently were the Faria and the Ozil* ones but as I've already explainedd above, in the context of what had happened before them, I don't think he was being unreasonable. And he also kept Khedira on the pitch when he should have walked for a second yellow.

Sometimes a team just has to hold it's hands up and say it got what it deserved. Last night, through it's own doing, Real got what it deserved and they have absolutely no-one to blame but themselves

* Assuming the Ozil thing is as reported i.e. more saracstic clapping

Which incidents in particular? It's a stretch to go from a ref having a bad game to him being either bribed or a Barça fan. Every decision that I saw was very easily explainable and most if not all were justified. The only ones I saw that could have been dealt with more leniently were the Faria and the Ozil* ones but as I've already explainedd above, in the context of what had happened before them, I don't think he was being unreasonable. And he also kept Khedira on the pitch when he should have walked for a second yellow.

Sometimes a team just has to hold it's hands up and say it got what it deserved. Last night, through it's own doing, Real got what it deserved and they have absolutely no-one to blame but themselves

* Assuming the Ozil thing is as reported i.e. more saracstic clapping

What about Marcos Ruben getting 2 yellow cards and not sent off. Surely game should be replayed because of this alone

What about Marcos Ruben getting 2 yellow cards and not sent off. Surely game should be replayed because of this alone
The 19th minute card was for Senna (who was walking away), not Ruben. So Ruben didn't get 2 yellow cards, the match shouldn't be replayed and the ref is merely a scapegoat for Real's latest underwhelming performance. Maybe fans should blame the players in white who aren't winning games? Just a thought.

Apparently Senna was booked but the TV stations gave it to Ruben because Senna was 50 yards away taking a corner

In protest at the refereeing decisions, Mourinho refused to give his post-match press conference at El Madrigal, while Pepe was quoted by Marca as saying to Paradas Romero: "What a robbery, you son of a b**ch."

Pepe, what a nice fella

Also Higuain was booked before the game had even started, it gets more bizarre.

Referees have made a habit in last 5 years of helping Barcelona when its needed e.g PEpe ridiculous red in Champions League and Messi not getting 2 yellows in Bernabeu. Cant be all a coincidence

Pepe and red cards. I don't know the specific incident you're referring to, but might it be his reputation preceding him a la Joey Barton? That's not anti-Real bias. That's just a known scummer being picked on by refs. Happens all the time even when it's not deserved. And I flat out don't accept that the ref was helping Barça last night. I do accept that Real Madrid helped them though. Over and over again they helped them. If Barça do beat them to the title (and I don't actually think that they will) then I will laugh my tits off. I'm not a Barça or a Real fan but it is the only soap opera that I let myself watch :D

6 point gap, if Barca beat them it'll be 3, then they'll only need to match Real Madrid due to having a better head to head. I reckon Real will fail to win at one or two of Osasuna, Madrid and Bilbao, so it could get very interesting.

Pepe and red cards. I don't know the specific incident you're referring to, but might it be his reputation preceding him a la Joey Barton? That's not anti-Real bias

At 0-0 and changed the game

Â