The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Real Madrid far too strong for Espanyol, 2-0 at half time with goals from Ronaldo & Khedira. Looking very much like their 10th consecutive league win, which would be their 20th win from their last 21 league games.

I know Messi has his own thread, but some props to Ronaldo too. Scored two against Betis, which now means he has scored against every side he has played against in La Liga. He has now scored more goals for Real Madrid (124) than he did for Manchester United (118) despite having played way less than half the number of games (126 for Madrid, 298 for Manchester United) and he will almost certainly reach 100 league goals for Madrid this month in only his third season. He currently has 96 goals in 88 appearances in the league.

Yeah, seems the stat I took hadnt been updated. He has 98 in 89 appearances (85 starts) in La Liga.

I dont know why it is but it seems media dont really respect his achievements. Messi got 5 vs Leverkusen and eulogised by all corners of the media(deservedly so). If it was Ronaldo it wouldnt be the same

Yeah, seems the stat I took hadnt been updated. He has 98 in 89 appearances (85 starts) in La Liga.

I dont know why it is but it seems media dont really respect his achievements. Messi got 5 vs Leverkusen and eulogised by all corners of the media(deservedly so). If it was Ronaldo it wouldnt be the same

How can you say that?

Ronaldo has never come close to doing anything similar on such a stage. That's what sets them apart right now.

Is it fair to say Cronaldo is a bit of a flat track bully?

Possibly, if you look at Messi he got 2 in the CL semi v Real last season and has 2 goals in CL finals v Man U. Ronaldo did score in the 08 final, but Im pretty sure if he got 5 in a knock out game in the CL he would be eulogised as well.

Is it fair to say Cronaldo is a bit of a flat track bully?

Maybe...

but he scored in the Copa Del Rey final last season.. which was a big game as at the end of the day it was a Clasico and was the final.

Also for what it's worth if Madrid do win Liga (which I think they will) it will mostly come down to Ronaldo as during the season he has been consistent at home and away in terms of scoring goals.. (I say mostly but others equally play their part)

Opta said that Ronaldo scored twice as many goals as Messi against other clubs in the top six of La Liga last season and he scored the winning goal against Barcelona in the final of the Copa Del Rey. He does score a lot of important goals, and his record in the Champions League is excellent compared to everybody other than Messi.

There is also a lot to be said for being a flat track bully, its why Madrid are currently ten points clear of Barcelona at the top of the Spanish league. If Madrid can beat everybody else in the league and Barcelona cant, it doesnt really matter how they get on in the classico.

Another thing interesting is Di Maria and his stats..

Mourinho has played him centrally at times and he raked up so many assists in that role in Liga it's unreal..

He has played only 15 games (he has been injured for a while) and has got 12 assists within that time, Ozil leads the table with 15 even though he has played 10 games more (25 games)!

I reckon if Di Maria wasn't injured he'd easily be on 20+ assists as he is lethal in that central role.

Ronaldo is an unbelievable player, a great goalscorer and has been working on his all round team play, I think what sets the two apart is just the extra work outside the box and creation of chances. Just my opinion but Real Madrid have others who are the heart of Real Madrid's attacks but Ronaldo is always there to finish it off or get a shot off, Messi is the main man when it comes to creating chances through the middle for Barca and also has the ridiculous goals to add as well.

Wouldn't call him a flat track bully as such but I do think his problem during the real tougher games against teams of similar or around Madrid's ability is that he can be wasteful in possession in terms of shooting from ridiculous places, if you aren't going to dominate the ball as much as usual or create as much as usual, sometimes you need to be more precise with attacks and too many times, I think especially last season against Barca, he'd try the spectacular for himself when building an attack would be more useful.

Brilliant player, unfortunate timing really.

it's an 8 point gap instead of 10..

Madrid vs Malaga game was so so poor.. tired players and the lack of rotation from Mourinho meant the players were tired before kick off.

I think Real Madrid will drop further points so it will be interesting to see what happens, The betis game, the Rayo game now this game.. just not good enough at all.

Madrid should've had a penalty or 2 at 1-0. Interesting to hear Medieta and Ballague on Revista talking about the Barca directors are much closer to the Spanish FA than Madrid which puts all this Madrid bias to rubbish, when if anything it's the other way.

Mourinho's a great coach, no doubt, but Benzema should never, ever, be starting over Higuain. Not even half the player.

Â