Running

trimandson

I'm proud of you Stevo!!!!

As for the Mud Run, I don't know how long ours is but one of the obstacles is jumping over a pit of fire. Did you have a pit of fire? I don't want nor have I ever wanted to jump over a pit of fire. The rest of it does sound really fun though, and I don't mind the muck. Seems like a blast.

Per usual....you wasted no time.

ROB! I am really happy about this so could the boob comment at least be second to a congratulations?!

#1. FANTASTIC! You did really well.

#2. FANTASTIC! Boooooobs! :lol::lol::lol:

So which sports bra do you recommend, ME? :D

EDIT: I suppose I should have put NSFW on that!

There was definetely no fire pit... Just chest high pits of mud and water.... Saying that some of the water was rank and you could smell the rats so fire might have been just as harmful! :D Great craic though... I would say to go for it!

ROB! I am really happy about this so could the boob comment at least be second to a congratulations?!

Everyone's a comedian.

In all honesty, I wear one two sizes too small. It works well. But there IS a sports bra called the Ta-Ta Tamer. It's $50 so I haven't purchased it.

Lombardo, did you say you could smell the rats? What the hell was going on? Maybe I am fine with the fire pit.

ME - seeing you live in Florida, you ever considered doing the Walt Disney World half or full marathon - Or are you sick to death of Mickey Mouse and all his pals ?

Personally, I would love to run all around the Disney estate and take in all the views etc along the way.

Noticed that information for the 2012 event has now been released and due to take place early Jan 2012

ME - seeing you live in Florida, you ever considered doing the Walt Disney World half or full marathon - Or are you sick to death of Mickey Mouse and all his pals ?

Personally, I would love to run all around the Disney estate and take in all the views etc along the way.

Noticed that information for the 2012 event has now been released and due to take place early Jan 2012

Disney would be cool. The problem is location......ORLANDO. I hate Orlando. And it's also a matter of not being ready for something THAT big. I just did the Gate River Run which was a little over 9 miles. Until then I had never gone farther than 5. I see me doing a Half marathon one day but I have no desire to do a full.

Also, in Orlando they charge double what they would charge almost anywhere else. However, now that you've brought the idea to my attention it's something I might do in a year or so.

Everyone's a comedian.

In all honesty, I wear one two sizes too small. It works well. But there IS a sports bra called the Ta-Ta Tamer. It's $50 so I haven't purchased it.

Lombardo, did you say you could smell the rats? What the hell was going on? Maybe I am fine with the fire pit.

Yeah it didn't smell the best... The race was set on a farm over several fields so in between each field was a stream/dyke and they normally contain rats as they are dark and relatively warm etc.... We had to run through several of these during the race. You could also smell the disinfectant which they spread, probably in an effort to take some of the rank smells away! A fire pit would literally be a walk in the park compared to this!!! :D

Everyone's a comedian.

Yeah it didn't smell the best... The race was set on a farm over several fields so in between each field was a stream/dyke and they normally contain rats as they are dark and relatively warm etc.... We had to run through several of these during the race. You could also smell the disinfectant which they spread, probably in an effort to take some of the rank smells away! A fire pit would literally be a walk in the park compared to this!!! :D

Okay, I officially am fine with the fire pit now. It's really not the rats themselves that would freak me out, it's the smell. For all the races I run in my downtown area, we always have to run by a giant Maxwell House coffee plant and it's awful. Every time I'm near it I want to hurl. So the smell of dirty rats would not be good.

You want to be careful with that.

Rat disease kills Redgrave’s gold medal partner: Rower dead in days from water-borne illness

26th October 2010

Olympic rowing champion Andy Holmes, who twice partnered Sir Steve Redgrave to gold medal triumph, has died suddenly from suspected Weil's disease.

The athlete, who became a father for the fifth time only a month ago, had recently returned to the water after a 17-year break from the sport.

The 51-year-old was said to be in superb physical condition but became unwell after competing in a 26-mile sculling marathon at Boston, Lincolnshire, a couple of weeks ago.

His brother Simon said yesterday: 'In the days afterwards he started to feel unwell, he had a fever, and in the next two or three days it continued getting worse.

' Within hours of being admitted to hospital in South-East London the rower - gold medallist with Sir Steve at the Los Angeles and Seoul Games - was in intensive care.

'By Sunday of last week he was in the liver ICU on life-support,' said his brother. 'There was an overwhelming, serious and severe reaction to some kind of infection.

'The working diagnosis that the clinicians were working on was Weil's disease. It was very sudden.'

Holmes died on Sunday. Weil's disease is a rare but potentially fatal water-borne bacterial infection commonly linked with the urine of infected rats. Simon added: 'It's a dreadful, tragic irony because rowing was the love of his life, it really was.'

Daily Mail

Oh I know all about the Weils disease... Spent years as a kayaker so heard several horror stories on that. Luckily the little buggers didn't piss near me!! It's not something to be sniffed at. You have to be within 30 seconds of a fresh rats urine though to be effected I think.

This sounds brilliant!

I'm genuinely looking into it.

Probably wouldn't be able to commit to 2012 at this stage, btu assuming they do it annually, I would love to do it in 2013

This sounds brilliant!

I'm genuinely looking into it.

Probably wouldn't be able to commit to 2012 at this stage, btu assuming they do it annually, I would love to do it in 2013

It is an annual event - In fact, I'm sure they do different runs throughout the year. I believe the half marathon is in it's 15th year now.

Been doing a lot of research on this, since I posted yesterday - the marathon dates run from 5 Jan 2012 - 8 Jan 2012 (different events on different days) - but the full marathon being on Sunday 8th Jan.

$140 it costs to register (very steep) - but the course looks brilliant.

The half marathon takes in Epcot and Magic Kingdom, whilst the full one covers all the 4 parks - here, take a look

newdisneymarathonmap.jpg

I guess however for us UK folk, adding flights and hotels onto this - it's going to cost around £1k - purely to run a race.

However, I'll see what the wife says about this tonight when I approach the subject.

Looks brilliant.

I think if you integrated it with a normal holiday then you'd be ok. Plus it's ages away so plenty of time to save (especially for me if I was to do it in 2013)

I also notice there's a "Race and a half", 39 miles over 2 days for the hardcore ones amongst us!

I think if I can get a few mates to do it it might be worth me looking into it. We could rent a Villa and make a fortnight of it, starting or culminating in the race.

I don't think $140 is that much.

The 10k I'm running in may cost over 30 quid to register, and that's in bloody manchester. So 70 quid (ish) more for a full marathon in Disneyworld seems quite reasonable to me

Just so you know guys, there are great deals for flights if you fly into SFB (Sanford) It's basically part of Orlando. But even flying directly into MCO is beneficial sometimes. And for some reason there are usually good deals *IF flying from the UK* on hotel rooms. That being said it's a fairly pricey run.

Flown into Sanford many times - much prefer that then Orlando International.

I have to say, this has really tempted me, as always been not too bothered about running a full Marathon - even the likes of London or New York. But the thought of missing out on running at Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and some of the Disney hotels if I ran the half, has really got me interested.

I might just bite the bullet and register for the full one, therefore know I have a place, and then try and sort hotels/flights etc nearer the time.

Flown into Sanford many times - much prefer that then Orlando International.

I have to say, this has really tempted me, as always been not too bothered about running a full Marathon - even the likes of London or New York. But the thought of missing out on running at Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and some of the Disney hotels if I ran the half, has really got me interested.

I might just bite the bullet and register for the full one, therefore know I have a place, and then try and sort hotels/flights etc nearer the time.

Well it sounds like your mind is made up so I am excited for you!!!!!

Â