Running

trimandson

The good thing about doing laps of a small circuit is that you're never far from home.

The bad thing is that it's boring.

One of the nice surprises of joining a club was being taken on "mystery tours" (on- and off-road) of areas that I thought I knew well, but which actually has far more interesting running routes than I realised.

I now sometimes lead groups myself and I get people saying: "I've lived in this area for years, but I've never run this route - and I have no idea where we are!" Followed by: "Ohhhh, now I see how it all joins up!"

Great fun.

Ouchy for me, got a kick on the back of my leg during football and it has caused me to have a dead leg for the past 48 hours, although it has died down it was horrible running yesterday, I perhaps should have taken the day off but I went much slower than usual and I think it helped.

I'm running in a 6 month old pair of Asics running trainers but they don't feel like mine, I really want to have a pair that I enjoy but none of those I have tried have really felt like they would belong to me, I am tempted to go NikeID, problem is... I have wide feed and Nike are usually slim aren't they?

Anybody got experience of running in their trainers too?

Alright, thought I'd finally do a proper contribution to this thread by submitting a plea for help of my own :)

Used to be a decent short/medium distance runner (by non-competitive standards) less than half a year ago but my stamina seems to have dovetailed and I struggle to complete even a mile these days - and I'm 18! (and not overweight)

I strongly suspect it's got something to do with my diet so any tips? Just the basics will do, can't be bothered Googling and then being bombarded with a hundred different diets and running plans.

Edit: Take into consideration Singapore weather :D

Hmmm. My diet is pretty shit at the minute, but I supplement.

Try high carbs and high protein. Carbs are good for energy (things like pasta) and protein is good for recovery. I eat as much fish, veg and pasta as I can and take protein shakes. But far too often I fill myself full of crap.

How much should I eat? My appetite hasn't been too good recently - not terrible, but always got the sense that it'd be ideal if I ate more.

I;m 5ft7 and slightly under 140 pounds.

About the same as me and at that I consider myself drastically under weight and low on energy at the minute. Trying to put weight on is hard for me as it sounds like it is for you, my appetite sometimes wont allow it.

The other day I ran 5 miles and burned 600+ calories. That's an entire meal. I think the extra weight for people like us (midgets) does help, the more energy in reserve the better. I'm aiming for 155 pounds.

Trying to put weight on is hard for me as it sounds like it is for you, my appetite sometimes wont allow it.

Ha! That's funny because I'm trying to lose weight :)

Okay actually I'm not but point is I'm not bothered with all the gym and putting on muscle stuff, all I want is to keep fit and not have people talking about how fat I've become (which happened 2 years ago when I was having a bout of depression)

Trying to put weight on is hard for me as it sounds like it is for you, my appetite sometimes wont allow it.

Ha! That's funny because I'm trying to lose weight :)

Okay actually I'm not but point is I'm not bothered with all the gym and putting on muscle stuff, all I want is to keep fit and not have people talking about how fat I've become (which happened 2 years ago when I was having a bout of depression)

Really? 10 stone is probably not considered unhealthy for our 'height', but it leaves me feeling a little weak. You say you're not bothered with putting on muscle mass which is fair enough, but as you burn energy the body has nowhere to go for it's reserves if you're not carrying the right kind of mass.

I know that if I can put 10-15 pounds of the right kind of weight on I'll have more in the tank. I don't know enough about the science behind it to explain why, I just know how my body feels.

I suffer from depression too, hence the weight loss. Any kind of physical exercise is a god send, it releases adrenaline and more importantly the likes of dopamine and seretonin which are great mood enhancers. In fact, I'm on sertaline for my depression, which works with your seretonin levels. Drugs and running are saving my life! Keep it up.

**** hell :shock: depression is the new pandemic. What has the world come to.

Haha. Yeah.

I think it's more widely diagnosed, admitted to, more socially acceptable etc. Mine was triggered (although not necessarily caused, bless her) by a woman, who's still hanging around like a bad smell. Sometimes when I run, I like to pretend I'm pounding her face rather than the pavement. :winkold:

You're not underweight.

I'm taller that you two, and a stone lighter.

Doing something about it now though, going to start running soon, and I've started to do some weights.

Just checked the BMI and you're right, we're not underweight. 5'7" and 10st gives a BMI of 21.96.

It just doesn't feel right for me I suppose and that's what counts.

You're not underweight.

Doing something about it now though, going to start running soon, and I've started to do some weights.

Just checked the BMI and you're right, we're not underweight. 5'7" and 10st gives a BMI of 21.96.

Just thought I'd share this - here

Apparently Asians like me are more susceptible to heart disease etc or something.

You're not underweight.

Just thought I'd share this - here

Apparently Asians like me are more susceptible to heart disease etc or something.

Interesting.

To be honest though, you need to take BMI with a pinch of salt, unless your off the chart so to speak. For example, I'm looking to put 10-15 pounds of muscle of, which will make me almost overweight according to my BMI. But if anything I'll be less likely to suffer from heart disease etc.

Leg muscle for us short arses is massively important FWIW. We have to take extra strides so we need that muscle to carry us through.

Legov: Just run - slowly - and listen to your body. Don't give up the minute it hurts (beating that is THE secret to running), but don't go too far beyond it - tomorrow's another day. Too many people starting running go flat out until they collapse and then decide that they aren't capable of running. Walk some of the time if need be, it's not a crime.

As a guideline, our club's minimum entry requirement is that you can run for 30 minutes non-stop, pace irrelevant. It takes off from there.

In other news: skinnies often make good runners, but I know a few fatties who are better than you'd expect.

And running is a fantastic help for depression and anxiety, no doubt about it.

Â