If you had the money would you educate your kids privately?

paddy

Would you put your kids into private education if you had the money?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Would you put your kids into private education if you had the money?

• Yes
    • No
    • I already do

makes us wonder if you're pushing him too hard"

ah ha , that's a different thing altogether and very wrong in my opinion ...

it may be a different thing to a good number of people (you and I included) however, far too many people seem to think that the best way to help their children is to put them into paid for education as if you pay for it, it must be better. Which is why although a different point, it is linked.

makes us wonder if you're pushing him too hard"

ah ha , that's a different thing altogether and very wrong in my opinion ...

it may be a different thing to a good number of people (you and I included) however, far too many people seem to think that the best way to help their children is to put them into paid for education as if you pay for it, it must be better. Which is why although a different point, it is linked.

I think some people pay for their children’s education, not because they believe it will make them more intelligent, but they will meet the ‘right’ people and then hope they will go to the ‘right’ university where again they will meet the ‘right’ people. Its the social/networking aspect of things, nothing to do with the teaching.

no question of that PB the social network is there as it can be seen that private schoolkids do do very well say in media cricles

the point is would these kids have done any worse at a state school, for some careers the answer is defintely yes but others no.

for me it is easy, if I stay on my estate, Amy will graduate from going to her Creche, to her pre school and then Junior all on the same site, then at 11 go to the local comp, all within easy walking distance of home, that is how it should be, if I had any intention of going private the nearest one is at least 5 miles and a car ride away.

no question of that PB the social network is there as it can be seen that private schoolkids do do very well say in media cricles

the point is would these kids have done any worse at a state school, for some careers the answer is defintely yes but others no.

for me it is easy, if I stay on my estate, Amy will graduate from going to her Creche, to her pre school and then Junior all on the same site, then at 11 go to the local comp, all within easy walking distance of home, that is how it should be, if I had any intention of going private the nearest one is at least 5 miles and a car ride away.

Its probably more to do with getting into the right university than school, but to get into the right university its probably having gone to the right school.

I seem to remember when this topic was raised before there was a notion that people within the private and public school (by public I mean Rugby, Eton, Harrow, Westminster, etc) are more confident; either through the education or through the arrogance of these systems, such schools tend to breed ‘leaders’; one only has to look at the prime ministers of this country to see how many went to public or selective schools and graduated from Oxbridge...

there is no question of that, the current Tory leadership shows how they stick together !!

Maggie of course was an exception she never even went to Grammer school did she and hated the 'toff's within the Tory party.

I think within the schools it is the system and what they teach them and it works but does mean in poltics for example few 'noemal' people can get to the top

the current Tory leadership shows how they stick together !!

not really sure why you wanted to turn this thread into a political one .... but it's hardly limited to the Tory party now is it .. Lord Falconer etc etc

don't some the 20th Century's maddest Generals and despots all send their children to private schools in England to be educated

what more proof do you want that the system works ....

there is no question of that, the current Tory leadership shows how they stick together !!

Maggie of course was an exception she never even went to Grammer school did she and hated the 'toff's within the Tory party.

I think within the schools it is the system and what they teach them and it works but does mean in poltics for example few 'noemal' people can get to the top

Thatcher went to a girls school that was a grammar. Of all the recent prime minister Major, who left school at 16 might be considered the most ‘normal’; Callaghan who didn’t go to University did pass the Oxbridge entrance examination.

Whilst any kids are hopefully a long way off (if at all) ;), I don't think I would. I think going to a state school did me good. Sometimes it was hard, and the facilities weren't the best in some areas, but it kept me very balanced. I received what I'd consider a pretty damn good education, it was good enough to get me to a uni thats a bit of a name in my field, and perhaps mor eimportantly it taught me how to get on in life.

Of course it's quite incredibly hard to talk about this in a balanced manner because, well, most of us would only have an experience of either/or really. I would say that by and large the people I have encountered that went private do match the stereotypes, and some are really stuck up arseholes living in a bit of a dream world.

I;m also slightly unsure where I sit on the idea that having money affords you a priveledge in something as necessary as education. The problem being, it's not that simple.

Ok so still within the state and so did Brown, forgot about Major !!!

so in fact the private school influence is not as influential as I may think it was !

Blair was educated in the private system, Cameron was educated at a public school, so you might say its on the rise compared to Grocer Heath and the Grocer’s daughter

Â