Lefties

MWARLEY2

Just looking at the first team  squad photo with Kellyman in it. Of the currently fit players who play in the more attacking positions 7 out of 8 are lefties.

Diaby Bailey McGinn Zaniolo Traore Duran and Kellyman. Have we ever had this before with so much reliance on left footers up front. ? 

Is this why we are having success ? 

And then to go against that the 5 players we would expect to play the centre mid pivot positions. All are right footed. 

I actually think it's a bit of a detriment since we have to shoehorn a bunch players into that LM position. If Buendia and JJ were fit, it wouldn't be too much of a problem but instead we have McGinn and Zaniolo making do there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Diaby Bailey McGinn Zaniolo Traore Duran and Kellyman. 

i was thinking Torres, Mings, Digne - it'd never really occurred to me that any of the front lot are.

Thinking through them - Traore's goal against Leicester, Diaby's goal last week, McGinn's volley, Bailey's goal at the weekend, Duran's goal against Palace, Kellyman and Zaniolo I had to check - and you're right - there's loads of em.

As a leftie myself, I'm appalled I hadn't noticed how many we'd collected - it's almost sinister.

• Like 3

If I’m calculating right (excuse the pun) the only right footed signing emery has made so far has been tielemans - and he was on a free so clearly we don’t like paying money for right footers(!)

moreno, Duran, pau, diaby, zaniolo, lenglet, 

18 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

i was thinking Torres, Mings, Digne - it'd never really occurred to me that any of the front lot are.

Thinking through them - Traore's goal against Leicester, Diaby's goal last week, McGinn's volley, Bailey's goal at the weekend, Duran's goal against Palace, Kellyman and Zaniolo I had to check - and you're right - there's loads of em.

As a leftie myself, I'm appalled I hadn't noticed how many we'd collected - it's almost sinister.

Bravo! 👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Just looking at the first team  squad photo with Kellyman in it. Of the currently fit players who play in the more attacking positions 7 out of 8 are lefties.

Diaby Bailey McGinn Zaniolo Traore Duran and Kellyman. Have we ever had this before with so much reliance on left footers up front. ? 

Is this why we are having success ? 

And then to go against that the 5 players we would expect to play the centre mid pivot positions. All are right footed. 

I've mentioned a few times that Unai is a leftie as well, and seems to love them.

One moment in particular, don't remember which match stood out to me.

McGinn made an outstanding pass through at an awkward angle forward straight through the lines to Ollie.

It caught everyone off guard because of the trajectory from his left foot etc 

43 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

If I’m calculating right (excuse the pun) the only right footed signing emery has made so far has been tielemans - and he was on a free so clearly we don’t like paying money for right footers(!)

I never even realised Tielemans was a leftie as well ffs 😂

28 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I never even realised Tielemans was a leftie as well ffs 😂

He's not, hence why he said he's the only right footer we've signed 😂

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JPJCB said:

I knew we'd signed a lot of lefties but hadn't quite realised the fact that 6 of the 7 signings under Unai were!

You don’t get many teams with exactly split 50/50 L/R players… most teams likely have more rightfooters as that’s the way the population is, but I can’t see it as a problem anymore than having more lefties is a problem