Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

I thought pub fights these days end in a stabbing or are temporarily put on hold til someone goes off and finds a gun. It's rarely simply fists these days.

I'm reminded of a Billy Connolly skit about the way young blokes fight these days. They start off with the raised voices and the sound of people backing off, followed by them both running away from each other, assessing the situation, and coming back all guns blazing.

Aren't most pub fights like that. A lot of bobbing and weaving but not many punches thrown.

Willie Pep is the greatest featherweight Boxer of all time. I wouldn't exactly compare him to a pub fighter ;)

On the Bread fact, I realise the stupidity of it. Someone just posted it on my Facebook and I thought it was quite amusing.

Aren't most pub fights like that. A lot of bobbing and weaving but not many punches thrown.

Willie Pep is the greatest featherweight Boxer of all time. I wouldn't exactly compare him to a pub fighter ;)

On the Bread fact, I realise the stupidity of it. Someone just posted it on my Facebook and I thought it was quite amusing.

Did Willie Pepp eat bread before that fight?

Did Willie Pepp eat bread before that fight?

I'm not sure, I haven't seen any evidence that he committed any violent crimes so it's unlikely.

The coach of the Bulgarian tennis player who reached the semis of Wimbledon (can't remember her name) is coached by her Dad. Whcih is fine.. except her Dad can't actually play tennis.

The coach of the Bulgarian tennis player who reached the semis of Wimbledon (can't remember her name) is coached by her Dad. Whcih is fine.. except her Dad can't actually play tennis.
Well, as long as he only coaches her coach, and not her....

• 3 weeks later...

The speed record for helicopters is 249.09mph, set in 1986 by a stripped out British Westland Lynx. It is a record that is unlikely to be bettered thanks to the limitations of the way helicopters work.

A number of FPS games, perhaps most well known of which is the seminal Goldeneye on the N64, make a fundamental flaw with the nature of their representations of firearms for the sake of aesthetics. They have spent catridges ejecting from the gun towards the centre of the screen. This is unrealistic because it would mean anyone firing the gun would be constantly being hit by very hot pieces of brass - all right hand operated guns eject to the right to prevent this.

Thus, it was either a conscious design choice to look cool, or perhaps in the world of the FPS, an awful lot of people have left hand set up guns and the likes of James Bond just can't get a break.

This is also undoubtedly the most useless thing I know. And maybe the geekiest.

On the gaming theme actually...

Donkey Kong, the famous game that launched Mario (then called Jumpman) and Donkey Kong himself as Nintendo staples, was the subject of a law suit by MCA Universal on it's release, claiming it ripped off King Kong. Nintendo won the case when it was discovered that MCA Universal had no claim to own the rights to King Kong, and had in fact actually previously won a law suit itself that placed King Kong in the public domain.

And for a couple of other completely useless bits of gaming trivia...

Mario is named after the landlord of a warehouse Nintendo of America was renting in 1980, Mario Segale. He had a heated argument over late rent payments with the then President of the company, and the staff chose to rename 'Jumpman' after him.

Also, the reason Mario has a moustache is because of the limitations, at that time, of making a character look human with a defined face. Giving him a moustache created the illusion of a much more defined face than a pink blob with a nose would.

Â