Resident Evil 4 (2023)

Chindie

Well, it's out.

It's really good. I've just completed chapter 3.

I only finished the original last year, I just couldn't ever get on with the controls until I actively forced myself to get through it. And rightly it's obviously a tent pole title that inspired a lot of action games for years afterwards. 

This though... It's basically that original game reimagined with today's tech and game design conventions. So the graphics have all the latest bells and whistles, models are far more detailed, textures extremely high quality, ray tracing etc etc. Meaning it's a bloody good looking game. The RE Engine is really a great engine and it's been revelatory for these remakes.

They've also updated the controls so it has the expected basic twin stick over shoulder set up, meaning it controls like a modern game. Interestingly they've managed to maintain a lot of the essence of the original game with the shooting gallery style, but it plays with the fluidity and snap of a modern game.

There's been subtle changes to the game itself, it's... architecture... that feel like they took the ideas of the original and expanded them. Things like buildings having more complex realistic layouts, environments being more detailed. But it's fundamentally still RE4.

It's very good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

Well, it's out.

It's really good. I've just completed chapter 3.

I only finished the original last year, I just couldn't ever get on with the controls until I actively forced myself to get through it. And rightly it's obviously a tent pole title that inspired a lot of action games for years afterwards. 

This though... It's basically that original game reimagined with today's tech and game design conventions. So the graphics have all the latest bells and whistles, models are far more detailed, textures extremely high quality, ray tracing etc etc. Meaning it's a bloody good looking game. The RE Engine is really a great engine and it's been revelatory for these remakes.

They've also updated the controls so it has the expected basic twin stick over shoulder set up, meaning it controls like a modern game. Interestingly they've managed to maintain a lot of the essence of the original game with the shooting gallery style, but it plays with the fluidity and snap of a modern game.

There's been subtle changes to the game itself, it's... architecture... that feel like they took the ideas of the original and expanded them. Things like buildings having more complex realistic layouts, environments being more detailed. But it's fundamentally still RE4.

It's very good.

loved the original. interesting that IGN has given this remake a perfect 10/10. looks like they've made some changes to make it more challenging. i recall on the original you can conserve ammo really easily by using the knife a lot but looks like they've made it so that you can only use the knife a certain amount before you need to repair it. crafty little tweak that.

i'm bored of RE village now having played it to death so definitely look to buy this

They need to do the first RE:make in this style imo.

I've never played Code: Veronica, Zero or 5. I can't see them doing Zero before doing the original again, given the original schedule of releases for those and how unloved Zero is. 5 I wonder if they're concerned they're too close to for a while yet - it came out in 2009, that feels a couple of years away from reimagining feeling 'earned'. Code: Veronica is the one, that's a very old game now and it's very beholden to the classic formula that these remakes have been so successful in reimagining.

The problem though is I believe Code: Veronica is really disliked by Capcom and nobody would go to bat to sell the company on the benefit of doing a remake of it. As a result while it's the obvious choice and probably the best choice (despite Capcom's distaste for it it's a loved title amongst fans) it's not likely to happen sadly.

Bought it on my lunch this afternoon. The original was my favourite game for a long, long time (many hours sunk into my ps2 when I should've been revising for my GCSEs) so I am absolutely buzzing for this!

• Like 1

Finished RE4 Remake last night and my impressions are mostly positive.

The main issues I had with the game are issues I also had with the original game, so in that regard it's a very faithful remake.

I think 85% of RE4 is a masterpiece while the final 15% is pretty damn average. That said the remake improves the combat, improves Ashley and improves how the story flows which does make it the definitive edition even if I don't like the final few chapters much.

• Like 1

And first playthrough done. Really, really great.

It's just a fantastic action game. It has that cool 'one day mission' thing that makes the whole game feel like an extended classic action movie, and keeps that pretty unique Japanese tongue in cheek over the top tone, it looks great, it plays great, it takes the original game and extrapolates it out into the kind of game you'd release in 2023 as opposed to 2004.

Onto the next run...

• Like 3

Professional A rank done, and a no heal run. Now onto the S+ runs and if I can manage those, it's rinsed.

They've also released the Mercenaries add on today, always a popular mode and by all accounts still very, very good.

Hardcore S+ rank done. Another skin of the teeth one but managed it with about 2 minutes to spare.

Just the one trophy left - I need to either S+ rank the 3 Mercenaries maps or complete a Pro run without any special weapons. I know I can do the latter but it'll be a slog. I'm not very good at Mercenaries. I dunno whether I commit to learning Mercs or use that time to just crack on through the Pro run...

Â