Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

18 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Dybala coming to the Villa then hopefully? 

#wishfulthinking

I’ve seen very little of Dybala but he has a good reputation… when I have seen him, he’s never impressed me. Never made much of a mark for Argentina either?

How good is he? And how does he compare to a settled or on form Felix, for example?

He has recently said that he’s happy there and has a real connection with the fans, don’t think he’d be an option or under consideration for us.

2 hours ago, Anything11 said:

he i certainly high up that list (along with Chiesa by all accounts)

If, by some miracle, we signed Chiesa…

How would we line up exactly? 🤔 

With attacking options of Watkins, Zaniolo, Diaby…. and Chiesa…

Not sure we would play with two wingers if Emery persists with what appears to be his favoured system and too much attacking flair would mean a sacrifice in defensive prowess… we need to maintain that balance… McGinn is very useful for us in the role that he fulfils… particularly in terms of helping out on the defensive and physical side of the game…

23 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I’ve seen very little of Dybala but he has a good reputation… when I have seen him, he’s never impressed me. Never made much of a mark for Argentina either?

How good is he? And how does he compare to a settled or on form Felix, for example?

He has recently said that he’s happy there and has a real connection with the fans, don’t think he’d be an option or under consideration for us.

No, he hasn't. He has the technical tools, but lacks mental determination, I think. Out of 38 games for our national team, I believe I was only impressed with his perfomance ONCE. I very much agree with the Felix comparison, both are very gifted players that should've accomplished more with their careers and their individual levels at this point. I'd give an edge to Paulo, for two things: he's a superior scorer, and I believe he wants to be better, he just doesn't know how to make that final leap, whereas I believe Felix doesn't really care. Also, I believe present Dybala to be the best he's ever been (credit to Mourinho for that), I don't think Joao has done anything better than his last season at Benfica/first season at Atletico, more than 4 years ago.

Paulo is a smart guy and pretty chill, I believe he looks up to Mou, I don't think he'd leave if he was coaching him still or unless a top club in the world came looking for him.

Here's a nice anecdote on his character by a former teammate. Perhaps it's the same self-conscious attitude that makes him a likeable guy that prevents him from being a bonafide superstar.

Edited by Daulmakan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

If, by some miracle, we signed Chiesa…

How would we line up exactly? 🤔 

With attacking options of Watkins, Zaniolo, Diaby…. and Chiesa…

Not sure we would play with two wingers if Emery persists with what appears to be his favoured system and too much attacking flair would mean a sacrifice in defensive prowess… we need to maintain that balance… McGinn is very useful for us in the role that he fulfils… particularly in terms of helping out on the defensive and physical side of the game…

3241… 

Martinez 

konsa Carlos Torres 

Kamara Luiz 

chiesa tielmans/McGinn Zaniolo  Daiby 

Watkins  

simples … 

7 minutes ago, thabucks said:

3241… 

Martinez 

konsa Carlos Torres 

Kamara Luiz 

chiesa tielmans/McGinn Zaniolo  Daiby 

Watkins  

simples … 

So no fullbacks. Just all the attackers. This is a joke surely?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

So no fullbacks. Just all the attackers. This is a joke surely?

Pep and Bayern don’t play with fullbacks often … Kamara steps back into defence with Konsa and Torres playing RB / LB in defence. Tielmans/ McGinn dropping back next to Luiz…. 

City and Bayern both won their respective leagues playing that formation … 

Edited by thabucks

36 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Again, just wishful thinking on my son's part really...

Dybala would fit the second striker role but also plays right side, guess we have that in Diaby now (right side).

I meant into our existing or Unai’s preferred system really… 

I don’t think he would suddenly implement a new formation/system just to force players into the side, it has to work and to the optimum level… balanced and effective.

He’s more likely to tweak it than go for radical change imo… and such a change is less likely to happen once the season is underway…

First of all, they’d have to compete and fight for their places (how great would that be?) and I think  at least one of them would have to start on the bench more often than not…

Until Zaniolo shines, it would probably be him at first… with the investment in Diaby and what it would take to get Chiesa… they would be more assured as starters… so Moussa would probably support the CF and Chiesa on the wing (why am I indulging in this fantasy? 😂)…

Maybe we drop Ollie! 😂 Could Zaniolo surpass him in that position? 

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Again, just wishful thinking on my son's part really...

Dybala would fit the second striker role but also plays right side, guess we have that in Diaby now (right side).

Sure, and it’s all good fun. Just always wondered how good he really is and whether he lives up to the hype - I haven’t seen it myself but not seen enough of him to make a judgement call.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Daulmakan said:

No, he hasn't. He has the technical tools, but lacks mental determination, I think. Out of 38 games for our national team, I believe I was only impressed with his perfomance ONCE. I very much agree with the Felix comparison, both are very gifted players that should've accomplished more with their careers and their individual levels at this point. I'd give an edge to Paulo, for two things: he's a superior scorer, and I believe he wants to be better, he just doesn't know how to make that final leap, whereas I believe Felix doesn't really care. Also, I believe present Dybala to be the best he's ever been (credit to Mourinho for that), I don't think Joao has done anything better than his last season at Benfica/first season at Atletico, more than 4 years ago.

Paulo is a smart guy and pretty chill, I believe he looks up to Mou, I don't think he'd leave if he was coaching him still or unless a top club in the world came looking for him.

Here's a nice anecdote on his character by a former teammate. Perhaps it's the same self-conscious attitude that makes him a likeable guy that prevents him from being a bonafide superstar.

Thanks again for your input, alway highly valued 👍

Maybe worth mentioning that Dybala is starting to approach the tail-end of his career whereas Felix still has time on his side but needs to sort himself out! Needs the right move and environment and to get his head straight and focussed.

5 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Once again, it’s Twitter. It’s a cesspool. Morons will always exist. Gotta stop giving them a spotlight.

I don’t think it’s a cesspool… there are plenty of decent and sensible people on there…

It’s usually not the tool that is the problem but the “tools” that use it in the wrong way…

I find that it’s the most convenient and easiest place to get news/info on stuff that I’m interested in too… even if I hate it’s “transformation” now… hoping for a good replacement/alternative…

I actually think it’s a good idea to name and shame people too, can block them then too!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

FFS do we really have so many clueless t*ssers in our fanbase or are they mostly just undercover Bluenoses??? 😂😂😂

I'm pretty sure the women's team spend doesn't even count towards FFP too unless they've changed the rules.

And even if it does I hope it continues getting as much investment as possible. The whole of Aston Villa Football Club should be striving to be the best it can be.

Edited by villan95

If and it’s a big if, we got Chiesa, we’d either play a 433 or 4141 surely with Chiesa and Diaby the wide options, supported by JJ, Bailey, McGinn, Zaniolo and Bidace.

Midfield if we were playing with a 4141 we’d have Kamara as the Dm and then any 2 from Luiz, Tielemans, McGinn and Zaniolo. 

We could play a more offensive version with a LW and RW or a more conservative version with Ramsey as a LM and McGinn/Zaniolo as RM with Luiz and Tielemans in the middle. 

A World class LW would give so many tactical options. We’d be able to take it to the low block teams but then also change things up tactically against the up end of the table.

If it’s not Chiesa I can see us going for a LW though, perhaps Goncalves instead

I personally think Zaniolo was brought to provide cover for Buendia so we might see a right sided attacker come in (Cherki or Kudus perhaps?)

I’d like to see 4 new signings a LW/IF, a LW/LM/AM, a RB/CB and a RW/AM in that order.

Not a lot to ask for 🤪