90's Premier League Remembrances

maqroll

These Soccerbox uploads are quite good. I like how they interweave old match footage with the interviews. 

I discovered the Premier League in 1994 and quickly became obsessed. I loved it. I sent away for a English football historical tables book so I had a better frame of reference. 

Villa were so good back then too. Villa Park oozed mystique. I wanted to devour everything Villa and English football in general.

Villa hasn't featured much in these but if you love 90s Prem, these are a good watch.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

When you watch these old match clips...doesn't it all feel more intense? Maybe it's because they show notable games but my general feeling is that things were more intense, the crowds more passionate and loud, more menace to affairs, more side drama, etc.

I really miss those days!

• Like 1

Villaboy YT channel is really good for 90s gorging.

Got full match of Villa 5 Wimbledon 0 in December 1996 amongst others.

My favourite match in that period has to be Villa 3 Arsenal 2 (half time aside).

Think TJ Sports or something also has a channel where they generally show the goals round ups from MOTD in the 90s e.g. 6-7 matches condensed into about 5 minutes and get about 30 seconds from each match. And people today think MOTD is biased v certain clubs in terms of length of match shown.

One thing I would say even though I loved that period growing up.....the goalkeeping and defending is terrible compared to today's standards. So many basic bad passes from defenders and balls going through keepers hands/legs.

Difference is today mistakes are highlighted from analysis scrutinised to the nth degree which you didn't get 20 odd years ago.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

I have a better knowledge of the Premier League squads from 1994 than I do of today’s.

Mainly thanks to Merlin Premier League stickers and my ability to retain stupid amounts of information from my formative years.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I watched these all the time. What sticks out was just how shit PL football was, how archaic it was and how far away from European teams we were.

100mph. 4 4 2. Boot it. Hit the channel. Hit the stands.  It was awful.

But fun and enjoyable.

You say archaic and awful…. I say brilliant and entertaining! 

On 31/12/2022 at 15:13, Genie said:

I still remember clearly my first game at Villa Park, a 1-0 win over Chelsea. Dalian Atkinson scored a back post header right in front of us in the North Stand. October ‘93.

Samesies!  I think we’ve possibly spoken about this before but was it the ticket they gave from the QEMS football course things they used to do?

7 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Samesies!  I think we’ve possibly spoken about this before but was it the ticket they gave from the QEMS football course things they used to do?

Yeah, that’s the one! Good times, it was the summer before joining high school.

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yeah, that’s the one! Good times, it was the summer before joining high school.

We got tickets to the Wimbledon game when it snowed in 93 via the QEMS coaching. The coach was an old boy who loved throwing in crosses to get your head on. Always hurt because the balls were the cheap heavy ones.

8 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

We got tickets to the Wimbledon game when it snowed in 93 via the QEMS coaching. The coach was an old boy who loved throwing in crosses to get your head on. Always hurt because the balls were the cheap heavy ones.

Heading the ball is all but banned from junior football now. 

10 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

QEMS Tamworth? I went to school there. Now my eldest lad trains up there its weird seeing the place after all these years😄

28 minutes ago, Pongo's Socks said:

QEMS Tamworth? I went to school there. Now my eldest lad trains up there its weird seeing the place after all these years😄

Yes indeed, they used to run a 1 week Villa football school out of there in the summer holidays in the early 90s.  

Â