January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm struggling, Pulisic is the one that comes to mind, he flirts with the edges of Chelsea's first team, which means he has quality, but I wouldn't necessarily say that's doing VERY well - he doesn't play much. There was that fella at Fulham with the slight big eyes, Dempsey was it and I think Fulham might have had a sort of military looking striker at some point - but neither of those were really better than middling.

There have been a few decent keepers though and I guess from that group Brad Friedel could have been described as having done VERY well - he played and he performed well anyway's.

Apologies, I haven't read the last few pages so I may be going over something you've already discussed, but I have a feeling that the answer is one...at a push.

1 hour ago, Chicago Villan 1974 said:

O-KMitch...... how many MLS players have come over to do VERY well in the Prem?? Are you sure about being an American ? There are plenty of players who would thrive at premier league clubs given the chance. 

MLS teams are starting to be able to buy some of the "better" first team players from top South American league teams which I think might be more the route we'd be looking towards. Durán being one for example

46 minutes ago, nick76 said:

How does this relate to me? I asked if anybody has watched him regularly to give us an opinion on him because quite a few videos has shown him being very poor player and a couple have been quite good.  So how does this comment relate to me? It’s unusual to have highlight clips looking so poor.  Just because other small clubs are into him doesn’t straight away mean he’s going to be an £80m player in two years.

It does because you don't want us to sign promising young players with world class potential. You also don't want us to overspend on players. Not sure what you want us to do?

You also said Rafael Leao looks no better than Ollie Watkins

40 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Probably need another CB as a top priority because Southampton may recall Bednarek. Also with the links to Alex Moreno and Truffert, I’m expecting us to cancel the Augustinsson loan deal. 

That will be a blow.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

MLS teams are starting to be able to buy some of the "better" first team players from top South American league teams which I think might be more the route we'd be looking towards. Durán being one for example

The MLS have also recently (in the last 5ish years) created academies in the big cities to mirror the European and SA development as opposed to wunderkinds and playing club and college football. 

Probably still another 10 years if development keeps up before impactful talents start hitting Europe but for now they’re all projects.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, messi11 said:

14/20 PL teams would probably love Ollie Watkins. 

I wouldn't sell him, until I was convinced we bought better.

The bench is not strong enough yet, to compete with other teams, so selling before we buy, seems fraught with danger to me.

Its not like we have this super record of signing better,on a consistent basis,  in terms of effectiveness.

1 minute ago, DJBOB said:

3x fullbacks

1x striker

2x outside mids

1x CB

1x GK

Prioritize them the way you want but that’s 8 incoming as well as several that have to go out. It will take some time. 

Presuming, we buy better, than we already have.

2 hours ago, Chicago Villan 1974 said:

O-KMitch...... how many MLS players have come over to do VERY well in the Prem?? Are you sure about being an American ? There are plenty of players who would thrive at premier league clubs given the chance. 

There have been several players over the years who have come from MLS and been decent in the Prem (McBride, Friedel, Guzan, Howard, Dempsey, Bocanegra, Donovan for his Everton loans, etc.) but absolutely none have turned into world class players who would thrive leading the line for Villa as we push toward European competition.  The two best players of all time to have ever come out of MLS have been Alphonso Davies and Miguel Almiron.  That says something about how shit the league is.  There is a reason why the USA failed to qualify for the 2018 world cup...  The team was made up of a majority of players who ply their trade in the MLS...  

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Presuming, we buy better, than we already have.

Some better, some just different. Digne is an example of someone who might seem like a lateral move but fits the style and profile better. 

Same at CB and the outside mid positions. UE has a lack of options when picking the squad vs the opponent as well so they can’t all be mass improvements. But he can’t pick Buendia and Mcginn every game. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, messi11 said:

It does because you don't want us to sign promising young players with world class potential. You also don't want us to overspend on players. Not sure what you want us to do?

That word " Potential " frightens me.....While I accept it has true meaning.

In International speak, we have been dining out on that "Potential" since 1966.

It is a concept that has a habit of not delivering, and the initial claim, being forgotten....thats the down side of it.

Its a cop out, I have a jaundiced view of.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Some better, some just different. Digne is an example of someone who might seem like a lateral move but fits the style and profile better. 

Same at CB and the outside mid positions. UE has a lack of options when picking the squad vs the opponent as well so they can’t all be mass improvements. But he can’t pick Buendia and Mcginn every game. 

I agree with that, but so did SG and DS.

This is where, it is so important, to give yourself the right options to tangibly change the game.....that's recruitment.

20 minutes ago, messi11 said:

It does because you don't want us to sign promising young players with world class potential.

When did I ever say that? I said the video clip of him which I posted looked awful and asked if anybody who watched him could give better insight.

21 minutes ago, messi11 said:

You also don't want us to overspend on players.

Again when have I ever said this?  I think we may have to overspend to attract elite players that wouldn’t come to us otherwise.  I don’t advocate for this but an odd player here or there could work.

So that’s two out of two wrong about me!

23 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Not sure what you want us to do?

Buy players that benefit the club whether young or old, cheap or expensive….I haven’t defined what I want down to detail, for me, unlike some fans I evaluate a player on a case by case basis rather than predefined criteria.

26 minutes ago, messi11 said:

When did I ever say this?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Would love Pulisic here. I’ve always been really impressed with him when watching him play. Maybe I’ve only seen the good games!

Phil, Emi and another in the same role?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Would love Pulisic here. I’ve always been really impressed with him when watching him play. Maybe I’ve only seen the good games!

Only seen the good games but he would add something that is missing from the squad. A directness and a dribbler. 

But otherwise, regularly fails to find the right pass, a bit like Ollie that he puts his head down and doesn’t look up until he’s at the keeper, and lost a lot of pace since his series of hamstring injuries. 

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think he’s far too injury prone, any time you see him in the league it feels like he’s just back from injury