Check Out The Stats On That!

bickster

23 hours ago, Xann said:

441247146_10162483162407494_4948638243953944792_n.jpg

Most of the patterns on this make sense, but the random black dots really fascinate me.

Why is 0698 so rare compared to 0798?

Me and the Mrs have the same PIN numbers for our main bank accounts that we have both had since before we met 

would be interesting to know what statistically the chances/odds are on that 

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

Me and the Mrs have the same PIN numbers for our main bank accounts that we have both had since before we met 

Similar thing, but I got a company credit card through work and the pin I was assigned was the same 4 digit pin I use basically anywhere else I need a pin (and have done for 20 years). Although ironically not for my own credit card.

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

1:10,000

Because it doesn't matter what the one number is the other just has to match

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Probably slightly less, as I think certain numbers like 1234 or repeating all the same numbers are not allowed as PINs so wouldn't be issued. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

It does matter what the other number is, because saying it's 1 in 10,000 depends on each number available for selection is equally likely to be selected, contrary to the above image.

34 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It does matter what the other number is, because saying it's 1 in 10,000 depends on each number available for selection is equally likely to be selected, contrary to the above image.

I disagree. Whatever one number is, the other has to match, the first number isn't relevant

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

I disagree. Whatever one number is, the other has to match, the first number isn't relevant

This just isn't right

Let's invent some numbers, the chance of any random person having 1234 is 1 in 100, because it's an incredibly common and stupid pin. The chance of any individual having a pin of 9307 might be 1 in 20,000 because it's not a sequence, a date, repeated numbers, etc

If Follyfoot's pin is 1234, the chances of him meeting a partner who happens to share his pin is substaintially more likely than if his pin is 9307.

So, in the interest of calculating the odds of it, we need @Follyfoot to tell us his pin.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

You're both right. If the second PIN is randomly chosen, then it's 1 in 10,000, but... They're not. banks don't issue some numbers as the initial PIN, and people don't randomly select their own PINs - cards don't get sent in the post with 1111, or 1234 etc, because, obvious.

Folk often pick birthdays, or years of birth, or etc. Which makes it way more complicated.

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This just isn't right

Let's invent some numbers, the chance of any random person having 1234 is 1 in 100, because it's an incredibly common and stupid pin. The chance of any individual having a pin of 9307 might be 1 in 20,000 because it's not a sequence, a date, repeated numbers, etc

If Follyfoot's pin is 1234, the chances of him meeting a partner who happens to share his pin is substaintially more likely than if his pin is 9307.

So, in the interest of calculating the odds of it, we need @Follyfoot to tell us his pin.

It is a random pin number beginning with an 8

The Mrs thinks it was a sign we should be together, I think it is a curse 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

You're both right. If the second PIN is randomly chosen, then it's 1 in 10,000, but... They're not. banks don't issue some numbers as the initial PIN, and people don't randomly select their own PINs - cards don't get sent in the post with 1111, or 1234 etc, because, obvious.

Folk often pick birthdays, or years of birth, or etc. Which makes it way more complicated.

Yes but forget the exceptions, they aren't that significant. 1:10,000 is a ballpark figure :) 

What @Davkausis trying to say is the distribution of PINs isn't equal as the above graph shows but that is because people have the ability to change their PIN and that again isn't relevant as both these PINs were issued by the bank

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

that again isn't relevant as both these PINs were issued by the bank

This information was not available at the time of me beginning to argue the toss.

• Haha 1

Â