Check Out The Stats On That!

bickster

There's no real topic for this already, I see it as a companion topic for the Map thread

I come across interesting or amusing stats and graphs all the time

This one was bound to happen but it amuses me all the same

39onurdygha81.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bickster said:

There's no real topic for this already, I see it as a companion topic for the Map thread

39onurdygha81.png

Looking at that I wonder if the name Siri or Ciri has fluctuated similarly but with a spike around the time The Witcher series was out

6 hours ago, Eidolon said:

Looking at that I wonder if the name Siri or Ciri has fluctuated similarly but with a spike around the time The Witcher series was out

If it helps, I don’t know anyone called Kay Google.

No? Oh well.

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, bickster said:

39onurdygha81.png

I feel like at this point Bickster might respond to say the completely arbitrary scales of the 2 Y axes are manipulated to create an artificially interesting graph. See? That's what it feels like 😛😛

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, bickster said:

ndtsln086ac81.jpg

spoiler for Spider-Man: No Way Home

Spoiler

May doesn’t count then?

Edit: never mind, took me a moment to figure it out 😅

Edited by Eidolon

• 2 years later...

If you have access to Apple News or Scientific American, there's an interesting quick read about why relying on summary statistics vs. visual representation of data sets can be dangerous:

https://apple.news/A8T7tlqy1Ts6xayxncaioUw

They reference Anscombe's Quartet of 4 very different data sets (as seen by their graphs) that have identical mean, SD and corellation coefficient.   Some people took it further and created the Datasaurus Dozen which shows you can change data points while keeping the summary stats the same and get wildly different results.   The gif below cycles through the baker's dozen scatter plots of data sets that all have the same summary statistics.

https://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2017/05/the-datasaurus-dozen.html

DataSaurus%20Dozen.gif

• Like 1

Â