Giants News

kkr

Right now, probably the worst team in the league or there abouts. Same as last year really, although you have a chance against Seattle this week as they have a load of injuries at WR, with their starter being the guy they just picked up from free agency!

If it wasn't clear Monday afternoon, it is 24 hours later: The NFC East is far and away the best division in the NFL.

Defending champion Dallas is at the top of most power rankings these days, and the Cowboys aren't the reigning Super Bowl champions. The New York Giants are, and I don't need to tell you where they are.

They're undefeated.

The NFC East is 6-2, and that's only because Washington lost to the Giants and Philadelphia lost to Dallas. Now look what happens when you go outside the division: Philadelphia clobbers St. Louis; the Giants torch the Rams; Dallas toys with Cleveland and Washington rallies to overcome New Orleans.

That's 4-0 by a combined score of 136-50, and it's proof that Joaquin Miller had it right when he wrote, "that good is good from east to east."

Look, I don't know much about Miller, either, and I probably care only slightly more than you. But I do care about a division that just gave us a memorable Monday night track meet and keeps reminding us that conversations about the balance of power in the NFC start here.

You can talk about the AFC South, but it's hard to make a case with Jacksonville off to an 0-2 start, David Garrard dodging pass rushers and Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew averaging 2.8 yards a carry and failing to combine ... combine ... for 100 yards.

Then, of course, there's Houston, and I'll always take the fourth-best team in the NFC East over the Texans. Of course, I'll always take the fourth-best team in the NFC East over the weak link in any division.

Kansas City? Oakland? Miami? Detroit? St. Louis? You name it, I'll trump it with the NFC East.

A year ago the division gave us three playoff teams, with Philadelphia left home. Now the Eagles are vastly improved, with Donovan McNabb looking like the quarterback who two years ago drew MVP attention before he suffered a season-ending injury.

But he's not the best quarterback in the NFC East. Tony Romo is. Or maybe it's Eli Manning. All I know is Manning has one Super Bowl ring the others don't and a 1.000 batting average when it comes to the playoffs, taking the Giants to three postseason appearances in three years as the full-time starter.

Tell me another division that has a better collection of quarterbacks than Manning, Romo, McNabb and Jason Campbell. You can't. All have passer ratings this season of 93 or better, with 13 touchdowns and three interceptions.

Manning is the NFL's fourth-quarter passing leader. Romo is its third-down passing leader. The Eagles lead the league in passing. Dallas is third. The Eagles are second in scoring. Dallas is fourth.

You get the idea. The NFC East is a cornerback's graveyard.

Now let's look at how these guys run the ball which, after all, is supposed to be a benchmark for championship teams. The Giants' Brandon Jacobs is the league's sixth-best rusher, averaging 5.8 yards a carry. Washington's Clinton Portis ranks ninth, Philadelphia's Brian Westbrook 14th and the Cowboys' Marion Barber 15th.

But Westbrook leads the league in scoring. Barber is second. And the two are tied for the lead in first downs.

Everywhere you look someone is getting called to the head of the class. Terrell Owens is tied for the league lead in touchdowns for wide receivers. The Giants' Plaxico Burress is second in receptions. The Cowboys' Jason Witten leads all tight ends in catches. The Giants' Domenik Hixson is the leader in punt returns. Cowboys rookie Felix Jones is the leader in kickoff returns. The Giants' Justin Tuck is second in sacks. The Redskins' Chris Horton is tied for second in interceptions.

Enough already. I get it, I get it. The NFC East is a beast again, with the conference's top three teams (sorry, Green Bay) and three of its best four quarterbacks. You win the division, you should win the conference. And if you don't ...

Somebody else in the NFC East will win it for you. It happened last year, and it should happen again.

East is Beast

Giants suspend WR Plaxico Burress for 1 game

Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Super Bowl star Plaxico Burress was suspended for one game by the New York Giants on Wednesday for an undisclosed violation of team rules.

General manager Jerry Reese and coach Tom Coughlin informed Burress of the suspension Wednesday morning before the team held a bye-week practice.

The suspension takes effect immediately, meaning Burress will miss the Giants' game against the Seattle Seahawks on Oct. 5.

Burress was not immediately available for comment. Drew Rosenhaus, his agent, did not immediately return a telephone call by The Associated Press for comment.

The Giants (3-0) did not specify why Burress was suspended. FoxSports.com said that Burress did not show up for work on Monday and did not telephone or answer phone messages to explain his absence.

Giants spokesman Pat Hanlon said the team was not confirming or denying any reason for the suspension.

Burress, who caught the game-winning 13-yard touchdown pass in the final minute of the Giants' 17-14 win over the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl, will be allowed to return to team activities the day after the Seahawks game.

Burress was off to a great start this season with a team-high 18 catches for 259 yards and a touchdown.

The Giants signed Burress to a two-year contract extension that will bump his salary into the $7-million range over the next five years. The deal, which included $11 million in guaranteed money that will be paid this season, was signed just hours before the Giants kicked off the season on Sept. 4 against the Washington Redskins.

Burress then caught 10 catches for 133 yards in a 16-7 win.

Burress was upset that the Giants had refused to negotiate his contract after the Super Bowl, and refused to practice during a mandatory minicamp in June. He was fined about $25,000.

Despite playing on a sprained right ankle all last season, Burress had a team-high 70 receptions for 1,025 yards and a career-high 12 touchdowns. He added 18 catches for 221 yards in the postseason.

Burress caught 209 passes for 3,227 yards and 29 touchdowns in his first three seasons with the Giants, with all the touchdowns being thrown by Eli Manning.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

link

1. Why has he done it!?

2. Why suspend him? Just fine him a wedge for **** sake!

3. If we lose i will be well **** off!

1. Why - god only knows

2. To stop the NFL getting involved if it's something bigger than just say breaking a curfew, thus it's only one game.

3. Who with the player or the franchise? It has to be the player.

As a 'Skins fan I don't like the Giants but do think that they've done a good thing here.

A fine would be sufficient punishment, suspending him is just cutting off our nose to spite our face really. If it is something bigger then the NFL will look at it and apply their own disciplinary action regardless of what the team do anyway.

With both.

Good point about the NFL.

I guess that they feel the need to make an example of him for whatever rule it is he's broken a fine would have to be pretty substantial for him to even notice it. This way it enforces the rule with the other players.

Good point about the NFL.

I guess that they feel the need to make an example of him for whatever rule it is he's broken a fine would have to be pretty substantial for him to even notice it. This way it enforces the rule with the other players.

Yeah that's the way it is with Coughlin, team concept first so this is just reinforcing that which is fine and i agree with it but i would rather we did it in a way that didn't jeopardise our chances of winning.

By all accounts it seems as though he has been suspended for missing a team meeting/practise which Strahan did all last training camp and was only fined so i think it would be best if there were set penalties/fines for things like this that we can implement rather than suspensions.

Although he has been disciplined in a similar way before as i think he missed a few series in one game and then a quarter or a half in another, but that was pre 2005, so perhaps this is the next step of disciplinary action for Coughlin to take, next strike so to speak.

The Seattle game will be huge now anyway as losing with him suspended could ruin the season and see Coughlin come in for some serious abuse. Win of course and he is a genius still who made a wise decision etc etc

Posted: 2 hours 0 minutes ago

Burress will appeal suspension from Giants for breaking team rule

Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Super Bowl star Plaxico Burress was suspended for one game by the New York Giants on Wednesday for missing a workout earlier in the week. His agent insisted the receiver had an undisclosed family emergency and will appeal the ban to the NFL Players Association.

Because the unbeaten Giants have a bye this weekend, Burress will miss the Oct. 5 game against Seattle if the suspension is upheld.

The Giants refused to say why Burress was suspended, but agent Drew Rosenhaus claimed the nine-year veteran did not attend Monday's workout because of a family emergency that has now been resolved.

The suspension took effect immediately, meaning Burress will not be allowed to return to team activities until the day after the Seahawks game. He will miss two paychecks, totaling $235,294.12 of his $2 million annual base salary.

Rosenhaus said that Burress spoke with Giants special assistant Charles Way on Monday evening, but he added there was "miscommunication" between the player and the team.

When asked specifically why Burress did not telephone the team Monday to discuss the absence, Rosenhaus avoided answering the question.

"Again we're acknowledging that there should be some repercussion, but not to the extent where he is denied his right to perform his livelihood to play," Rosenhaus said in a conference call. "We think it is very serious and not very common, but there are things that do take place in the NFL that you could say are worse and have not led to suspension."

Rosenhaus said the NFLPA has not advised him when an arbitrator would hear the appeal, but he hopes Burress is back in the lineup for the Seattle game.

"I hope we can get this worked out and get back out on the practice field and back to playing football for the Giants. That's where he belongs," Rosenhaus said.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin said the Super Bowl champions were making a loud and clear statement about being responsible.

"We have had success here because of the team concept," Coughlin said after practice Wednesday. "And the team concept means basically that everyone is accountable and responsible and that we don't let the other guys down. And that is what we are trying to do."

Coughlin insisted that the suspension will not be a distraction.

"This is a team that is focused and displayed mental toughness and they will do the same thing with regard to this."

Coughlin and general manager Jerry Reese informed Burress of the suspension Wednesday morning before the team held practice.

"I think he was very surprised and very, very disappointed," Rosenhaus said of Burress' reaction to the suspension. "I spoke with him immediately after his meeting. ... He certainly did not anticipate his conduct would lead to him being suspended."

Burress was not immediately available for comment. He was off to a great start this season with a team-high 18 catches for 259 yards and a touchdown.

"It is something we just have to deal with and move on," quarterback Eli Manning said. "That is what our focus is, get ready for Seattle and try to get a win there."

Burress has had other problems with the Giants since signing as a free agent in 2005. He was benched for the opening quarter against San Diego early in 2005 for being late for a meeting. He said his wife was pregnant and he went with her for a test.

Burress was upset this summer after the Giants refused to negotiate his contract after the Super Bowl. He refused to practice during a mandatory minicamp in June and was fined $42,000. The Giants signed Burress to a two-year contract extension just before the opener that will bump his salary into the $7 million range over the next five years. The deal included $11 million in guaranteed money that will be paid this season.

Burress then caught 10 catches for 133 yards in a 16-7 win over Washington.

Burress caught the winning 13-yard touchdown pass in the final minute of the Giants' 17-14 win over the Patriots in the Super Bowl. And despite playing on a sprained right ankle all last season, Burress had a team-high 70 receptions for 1,025 yards and a career-high 12 touchdowns. He added 18 catches for 221 yards during the postseason.

Burress caught 209 passes for 3,227 yards and 29 touchdowns in his first three seasons with the Giants, with all the touchdowns being thrown by Manning.

Wide receiver is one of the Giants' deepest positions. In addition to Burress, there's Amani Toomer, Steve Smith, Sinorice Moss, Domenik Hixon and rookie Mario Manningham.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

link

I will be disappointed if he was attending to family issues and we have suspended him. He should still be punished for going AWOL and not informing the organisation where he was but in light of the circumstances perhaps we could have kept to a reduced punishment and not informed the media as i think going on what is reported somewhere along the lines some sort of wires will have been crossed and Plax did try to get in touch but it either didn't get passed on at all or correctly, ah who knows its all secrets and in house with Coughlin which is why im surprised we came out and announced it in the first place.

I actually like Drew Rosenhaus for once also! Hopefully the suspension will get overturned and we can then have him in the team and focus on walloping the Seahawks with Plax going over 100 and a TD!

What the ****. That's shit, he's in my fantasy team as well, bugger.

If we lose to Seattle I'll be well pissed!

Are you sure!

Im pretty sure he is in mine!

I have him on my NFL.com one. I gave up Owens as part of a 4 man trade for him as well.

If it was for family issues that's a bit unfair to suspend him, I'm sure it will be resolved, he's probably our most important player at the moment!

• 2 weeks later...

I've read a few times that with Plaxico suspended Domenik Hixon is expected to start at WR. He barely ever plays so wouldn't be the choice I'd have made, then again I suppose it doesn't really matter who gets the 'start' stat.

Hopefully we get to see a bit of Manningham this weekend!

Hixon has develpoed well over the last year and had a great preseason also. If you were to rank our receivers based on their talent and what they have shown so far then it would probably go something like this -

Plax, Toomer, Smith, Tyree, Hixon, Moss, Manningham

The thing is though that each position of receiver requires different skill sets of the player occupying the position, i.e. Plax is the X receiver, the split end which lines up on the line of scrimmage where as Toomer is the Z receiver, the Flanker who lines up behind the line of scrimmage. So you would naturally assume that seeing as Smith is our 3rd best receiver that he should start over Plax, but Smith is superb as the Y receiver, the slot receiver as he finds holes in the defenses zone coverage very well and as such excells in this position.

To play as the X receiver this player will be lined up on the line of scrimmage (seeing as there needs to be 7 players there always) most times and they will see the most aggressive press coverage fall their way, that is unless they are a tall, physical, quick player (Plax, TO, Moss etc) who can easily beat the Jam and burn the defensive back covering them. With this in mind Hixon at 6'2" with his speed and ability to make big plays e.g. in the return game for example, is the logical choice and the best choice to replace Plax as the X receiver this weekend as it allows Toomer to stay as the flanker and Smith in the slot.

Having said that im sure all players will be roatated in and around to see if a good matchup can be made against one of their defensive backs. I also doubt Manningham will play seeing as he has had flu this week but hopefully he can get over it for Sunday. If he doesnt then i want to see more of Moss play as i think he has the talent but just lacks the application. He has the most speed out of any of our receivers and that gets respected in the NFL so i would like to see him in the game more. He played one game last year where they got about 4 or 5 comeback routes to him every time for nice 6-12 yard gains.

With our receiving corps as deep as it is currently, Tyree is on the Physically Unable to Play list still remember, then his position on the team is in doubt and that was before all the trade rumours. I want him to get some playing time this year though as if he can be anywhere near as good as his brother at Washington then we will have another big weapon for Eli. Again though i think he has the talent but something is stopping him from showcasing it properly, perhaps lack of effort or perhaps not being able to learn the playbook but that would be speculation. Him being brittle doesnt help also!

Good post, and I understand now what you mean about certain receivers playing as different receiver spots, makes sense. I didn't actually think Hixon was that tall! I don't know that much about him, but I just assumed since he was a KR/PR guy that he was smallish, guess not.

On Sinorice, I have to say I've been very disappointed with what I've seen of him in general. He tries to do too much! I remember in our home game vs Washington (last season) I think, that he caught a few balls, then ran backwards to try and gain yards by beating somebody but ended up losing yards which resulted in us having to punt, very frustrating!

I don't like playing Seattle in Seattle, they have some amazing fans up there, but in New York I'm sure we'll take the W.

I like playing Seattle in Seattle i just don't like playing them there with Jay Feeley kicking field goals or Tim Lewis coaching Prevent D! Those two things = our last two losses.

Seattle are crap going from coast to coast, like 1-5 in their last 6 so that will be in our favour and if we can pressure Hasselback and move the ball with the running game and not drop far off with Plax out we will win but their D is tough and they have all their receivers back so it will be tough and a close game for sure.

Â