Giants News

kkr

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- People in this league do not forget.

"Hey," said Seahawks linebacker Lofa Tatupu, "sometimes they don’t forgive, either."

So, Giants coach Tom Coughlin had much more going for him to light fires than the Giants' 4-15 overall record off bye weeks or his own 2-2 after-bye Giants record. Much more than a receiving crew and offense that wanted to prove it could fly without suspended star Plaxico Burress.

Even more than the Giants attempting to stay perfect and reach 4-0.

Coughlin had a bunch that did not forget. And, apparently, did not forgive.

One that traveled to Seattle two Septembers ago and was being throttled 35-0 and 42-3 early before losing to the Seahawks 42-30.

Seattle gained the Giants full attention on Sunday. Their complete arsenal.

It was a Giants ambush, 44-6.

It was all payback.

The Giants rolled up 523 yards of offense. They rushed for 254 yards. They gained 27 first downs. They gained 14 rushing first downs.

We could go on and on and on and ...

"I wasn’t here two years ago, but I heard guys talking about that this week," said Giants receiver Domenik Hixon, who singed Seattle with the game’s first points on an acrobatic 32-yard catch from Eli Manning. "A couple of guys told me they had a bitter taste in their mouths from the last time they played Seattle. They did not like traveling all the way up there and not even showing up."

Giants veteran receiver Amani Toomer knew the score.

"When you are down 35-0 like we were up there, you have a choice to make," Toomer recalled. "You either roll over or keep fighting. We actually fought back to get closer in that game. We weren’t going to give them that little satisfaction today."

No, the Giants put their hearts into it. Their heads into it.

It is one thing to seek revenge, retribution. Quite another to be able to accomplish it.

The Giants did from the start.

Brandon Jacobs (136 rushing yards, two TDs) did the hammering on the Giants' first three plays -- runs of 9, 6 and 44 yards. That led to the Hixon score.

From there, the Giants' offense found it could run it, throw it, catch it, pound it, chuck it deep -- just pick a play. As the game wore on, Seahawks defenders were too often flattened on the ground instead of in the mix making tackles. Heck, it was going so good for the Giants that up 37-6 late in the third quarter, they showed Burress (suspended this game for violating team rules) up on the scoreboard making that winning catch in Super Bowl XLII.

Who could blame the Seahawks for thinking it was just one more of the eight Giants scores on the day.

Several of them in the locker room afterward seemed dazed. Here was a sampling:

Julian Peterson: "We can’t point any fingers after this one. Everybody messed up."

Julius Jones: "We just got whipped. No way around it. At this level, this is what happens when one team wants a game very, very badly and they happen to be a good team. A Super Bowl champion team."

Tatupu: "What happened? Whatever they wanted to happen. They dialed the pass. It worked. They dialed the run. It worked. I know personally, I didn’t play well. They played like they were pretty upset with us. You learn. You don’t forget. Now we’ve got something to remember."

A good place for Seattle to start remembering is how they became a dominant team in the NFC West and getting back to that blueprint. Seattle coach Mike Holmgren tried to assure all that this was one of those bad games, that is not necessarily a bad season for a team that's now 1-3.

"I believe we are a better football team than that," Holmgren said. "I believe we’re better than we played."

Well, in this league, you are what you are. Seattle lost by 24 at Buffalo, lost in overtime by a field goal to San Francisco at home, beat the Rams by 34 points at home before traveling and losing to the Giants by 38 points. That says this is a rotten football team.

Receivers Bobby Engram and Deion Branch returned from injuries to start in this game and were supposed to give the Seahawks a major jolt. Engram caught eight passes for 61 yards; Branch three for 31 and after the game was limping, wearing a protective boot on his right foot. He said there was no word on how long he might be out again. He said another player rolled up on his foot.

Well before that, the Giants rolled over the Seahawks.

The Giants are, indeed, 4-0 and played today at a level of consistency and execution that was impressive. No Super Bowl hangover here. No Burress, no matter. They travel to play at Cleveland in a Monday night game on Oct. 13 and plan to show the entire nation what Washington, St. Louis, Cincinnati and now Seattle already know, firsthand: These Giants when prepared and motivated can bring heat in a variety of ways.

"Eight years in the league for me now and we’re becoming a team that knows how to handle different situations and stay steady in our approach and results," Giants left guard Rich Seubert said. "That’s the way we want to play football, regardless of the extra motivation or reasons. And I have no doubt we will enjoy this and move on and get ready for Cleveland and not linger on anything other than holding each other accountable. It’s the way we operate."

Giants kicker John Carney is in his 21st NFL season and first with the Giants. He saw what I see.

"A composed team," Carney said. "Being new here, I can still see a group of players with integrity. No bad apples causing distractions. They’ve already reached the pinnacle here. This group is establishing their quest to do the same. There are a lot of variables that go into becoming that kind of team with that kind of approach. I see a mature offensive line with a passionate bunch of defensive players mixed with a lot of young talent across the board."

A team that, when required, does not forget.

link

PLAXICO Burress Plaxico Burress isn't taking the Giants New York Giants anywhere except for another ride into the playoffs. He's a terrific player who not one teammate emulates when it comes to punctuality or the art of the phone call.

No one has to worry that the return of Burress from his one-game suspension will wreck the harmony that fortified a Super Bowl champion, a cohesiveness even more pronounced this season. Players, coaches and the front office brass last year heaped admiration on Burress for the way he excelled despite great pain, but no one is holding him up as a shining example of professional comportment.

The classic Burress screw-up is one of omission, not commission. He gets in trouble for what he doesn't do, who he doesn't call, what taxes he doesn't pay, what car registration he forgets to renew. He is consistently non-confrontational and frequently oblivious to the hubbub he has caused. His hero should be Mad Magazine's Alfred E. Newman because Burress lives by the famous credo: What, Me Worry?

His assertion that he doesn't care about being a team leader is spot-on. Tom Coughlin has 12 players on his leadership council and Burress isn't one of them. Coughlin this season, with the exits of Michael Strahan Michael Strahan and Jeremy Shockey and injury to Osi Umenyiora, added four players to the committee: Corey Webster, Fred Robbins, Justin Tuck and Brandon Jacobs. Burress wasn't included because he doesn't belong.

The last thing Burress needed was yet another meeting to attend. Can you imagine Coughlin getting up before his council and saying, "First thing I want to discuss are the fines for lateness. Plax, you have any suggestions? Plax? Plax? Anybody seen Plax?"

Just look at the way the two Miami workout guys handled the springtime mini-camp. Shockey arrived and made a fool of himself, finally getting into a verbal confrontation with general manager Jerry Reese. Burress refused to practice and calmly stated he was sitting out not because of any ankle issues but as a "business decision" based on his frustration with stalled contract negotiations. Burress never raised his voice and made it sound as if he was angling for the lead council job with the players union.

Both were misguided but Shockey was disruptive and eventually had to go. Burress stayed, got his money, kicked butt during games then one day blew off work. Second-year receiver Steve Smith wasn't joking when he said he didn't even notice Plaxico wasn't in the meeting room because, "I mean, Plax is Plax, he does what he wants, usually."

Does that mean Smith is going to copy Burress and start breaking the rules? No way. The impact Burress has on the team begins and ends between the lines. He has serious issues with responsibility and authority, but he's not close to being anything like one of those NFL superstar/felons sprinkled throughout the league. He almost gives off a childlike quality, a wide-eyed wonderment when confronted about his foibles, and he's popular because of his laconic good nature. The special treatment he receives is obvious; any marginal player pulling the same stunts would be long gone. News flash: Great players get breaks.

The beauty of Burress is that when he says he has no regrets, hasn't lost any sleep about the suspension and that all the fines "haven't really bothered me or affected me" you can believe him. If he cared about these issues, he'd correct them. When an adult says he couldn't come to work and didn't call in because he had to drive his 21-month old son to school, there is no rational response. None. You shake your head, walk away and empathize with the challenges that confront elementary school teachers.

"If you know Plaxico, that's just how he is," Strahan, now retired, said yesterday on the radio. "He's not going to back down. I think everybody expects somebody to back down and say 'I was wrong.' In his mind, he believes he was justified."

Inside the mind of Plaxico Burress is an interesting place to visit. Just not for long.

paul.schwartz@nypost.com

link

Nice article summing up Plax perfectly and making sense of what he was saying the other day. Basically Plax is so laid back he is lying down! He is not disruptive or a negative influence so you can make concessions for top players like that, like Villa did for someone not so long ago...!

Chiefs TE Gonzalez hopes for trade to Giants

TOM ROCK

October 13, 2008

It's unclear how much interest the Giants have in Tony Gonzalez, but he apparently is very interested in joining them. The all-time leader in yardage by a tight end reportedly has asked the rebuilding Chiefs to trade him to a Super Bowl contender, with the Giants at the top of his wish list.

A report yesterday on Foxsports.com, in which Jay Glazer spoke with Gonzalez, said the Giants are the "most attractive" team to him. That report described the Giants' pursuit of Gonzalez as "lukewarm."

"At this point in my career, I want to play for a known contender," said Gonzalez, 32.

Since Jeremy Shockey was hurt last December (and eventually traded to the Saints), the Giants have not thrown as much to tight ends, relying on three- and four-receiver sets. In that span they are 9-1.

The Packers, Eagles and Bills reportedly also have expressed interest in Gonzalez. The NFL trading deadline is 4 p.m. tomorrow.

link

Plenty of rumours surrounding this possible trade happening and we allegedly offered a 6th round selection whereas they are looking for a 2nd and a 5th like we got for Shockey. Not sure how interested we are but to have offered one of our draft picks i would say we are very interested.

Gonzo is a hall of fame TE and leads all TE's ever in every statistical category, ever! Bringing him in would be great and a upgrade over Shockey let alone Boss, although when we have run behind Boss' blocking we average crazy numbers so if the trade happens great, another weapon who can cause mismatches and more problems for Defences but if it doesn't then oh well we are doing very well anyway.

He is 32 so wont have too many more years in him so it would be ideal for us really as he can come in here learn the playbook and play sporadically whilst Boss plays plenty still as he is more than an adequate starter nevermind understudy. The leadership that Gonzo would bring combined with how he could tutor Boss until he retires makes me think that this trade would really be excellent for the Giants.

We already have two 2nd round and two 5th round picks with some compensatory selections to come this year also due to last seasons free agent losses so its not like trading for him would be killing us in the draft either.

Trade deadline is 4pmEST tomorrow so 9pmBST. I dont think it will get done, not unless the Chiefs take a cut price deal to allow Tony G his wish of playing for a contender which they might do but they aren't going to give him away. I reckon a 4th and a 6th or a 3rd straight up might be enough to get it done and if that is the case get it done asap please Jerry Reese!

Chiefs Pro Bowl TE Gonzalez on trade block

Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Tony Gonzalez, the most productive tight end in NFL history, will be traded to a contender if the Kansas City Chiefs get the right price.

Three people familiar with the situation told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity that the nine-time Pro Bowl player could be dealt before the Tuesday trade deadline. The sources didn't want to be identified because a deal hasn't been struck.

Gonzalez, who holds the NFL tight end record for receptions, touchdown catches and yards receiving, is active in civic and charitable affairs and enjoys great popularity in Kansas City. He has always said he would like to end his career with the Chiefs, who drafted him in the first round out of California in 1997.

But the Chiefs (1-4) are rebuilding from the bottom up and not likely to contend for the Super Bowl any time soon. In spite of all his personal accomplishments, Gonzalez, 32, has never even won a postseason game.

He would like an opportunity to play in a Super Bowl and the rebuilding Chiefs would like to acquire extra draft picks.

Two people involved in the situation said there had been discussions with the New York Giants, but that talks had not been productive.

The Giants traded tight end Jeremy Shockey to New Orleans last summer for second- and fifth-round draft picks in 2009. Shockey's replacement, Kevin Boss, has been a disappointment even though the defending Super Bowl champs are undefeated.

Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson is a notoriously tough negotiator and would probably demand at least a second-round pick for the man many Chiefs fans believe is the greatest offensive player in team history.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

link

• 3 weeks later...
Yes! I voted the Giants at every position though, i figure thats what Dallas fans did last year to get their whole roster to the Pro Bowl!

Yep.

THey have too many highlight players anyways, like Roy Williams. I'm a better safety than this guy, but because every now and then he makes a big hit he's considered an elite safety? Please, I'd own him all day long if I was matched up against him! Most of their players are like this too.

Ah well, shows how silly the Pro Bowl selections are when only 1 of the Super Bowl winning team gets in!

Super Bowl hero Tyree placed on injured reserve by Giants

Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFPORD, N.J. -- New York Giants Super Bowl hero David Tyree will miss the rest of the season.

Tyree, who made " The Catch" in New York's Super Bowl victory over the Patriots in February, was placed on injured reserve by the Giants on Wednesday due to a lingering hamstring injury.

He had spent the entire training camp on the physically-unable-to-perform list before the start of training camp. He seemingly never had a chance to make the active roster after pulling a hamstring once he started practicing on Oct. 15.

"The medical people say he was not ready," coach Tom Coughlin said in making the announcement.

The Giants had until 4 p.m. ET to make a decision on Tyree.

The 28-year-old Tyree earned a spot in Super Bowl history with a leaping grab in traffic on the team's final drive in the fourth quarter, securing the ball against his helmet as he fell to the playing surface. The 32-yard play set up Eli Manning's touchdown pass to Plaxico Burress in the final minute.

Tyree, who is in his sixth season, was not immediately available for comment.

"He actually took it very well," said Coughlin, who told Tyree of the decision earlier in the morning.

The Giants had the option of adding Tyree to their active roster, placing him on injured reserve or releasing him, but they still would have owed him his salary for the year.

Tyree said Monday that he felt he would help on special teams, a spot where he earned Pro Bowl honors in 2005.

However, he faced a tough time making a contribution at receiver with Burress, Amani Toomer, Steve Smith, Domenik Hixon, Mario Manningham and Sinorice Moss all playing well.

Tyree said he thought about playing for another team but he liked being a Giant.

"Obviously, for what my career has been up to this point, this is definitely where I prefer to be, but I also prefer to play football," he said Monday.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

The man who made THE catch on IR

I was hoping we would cut Drougnes to make room for him but at least we keep him until next year and he will get his shot in camp.

Another player released recently, Kabeer Gbaja Biamilla (KGB) i wouldn't mind us picking up as a situational pass rusher also. Aside from having what i think is the best name in world sport i think we could bring him in for Wynn or McDougle who haven't contributed that much or seen the field anyway and give us another weapon to rush the passer with.

Cut McQuarters sign Hall

Cut McDougle sign KGB

Only if they come cheap on the 1 year deal, i.e. half a season.

KGB wouldn't be the worst move, he could well be useful for us. Though I'm liking what I'm seeing from Dave Tollefson so far this season, been a nice surprise.

DeAngelo Hall.. it sounds great to begin with, but I think Corey Webster is going to be an FA at the end of the year? And to be honest, I'd rather keep him as he's been pretty great for us this season, if we can have both then that's great, not sure what our cap situation is like to be honest.

Giants, Jets looking at free-agent cornerback DeAngelo Hall

The Giants might have another shot at acquiring DeAngelo Hall. The Giants reportedly are one of five teams interested in signing Hall, who was released by the Raiders on Wednesday and went unclaimed on waivers. Hall is expected to make a decision in the next day or two, with the Giants, Redskins, Patriots and Steelers all interested, according to NFL.com.

Sources say the Jets are also taking a look at the free-agent cornerback. Hall is looking for a long-term situation, which would make the Jets a longshot. They have two young corners, Darrelle Revis and Dwight Lowery, although Lowery was benched in last week's game.

The Giants were mildly interested in trading for Hall in the offseason, but the price was too high in both draft picks and salary. Hall, 24, was traded by the Falcons to the Raiders for a second-round pick last March. The cornerback signed a seven-year, $70million deal with the Raiders, who paid Hall $8million but did not want to pay another $16 million in injury-guaranteed bonuses.

The Giants are down a cornerback with Kevin Dockery (back) out. - With Rich Cimini

NY Daily News

Another player released recently, Kabeer Gbaja Biamilla (KGB) i wouldn't mind us picking up as a situational pass rusher also. Aside from having what i think is the best name in world sport i think we could bring him in for Wynn or McDougle who haven't contributed that much or seen the field anyway and give us another weapon to rush the passer with.

Cut McQuarters sign Hall

Cut McDougle sign KGB

Only if they come cheap on the 1 year deal, i.e. half a season.

KGB wouldn't be the worst move, he could well be useful for us. Though I'm liking what I'm seeing from Dave Tollefson so far this season, been a nice surprise.

DeAngelo Hall.. it sounds great to begin with, but I think Corey Webster is going to be an FA at the end of the year? And to be honest, I'd rather keep him as he's been pretty great for us this season, if we can have both then that's great, not sure what our cap situation is like to be honest.

Yeah Tollefsons play has been good but i think getting in somone like KGB for McDougle would upgrade the pass rush even more so and give us the depth to run the four-aces package like last year with 4 quality ends on the dline but instead of Kiwi, Tuck, Stray and Osi we would have Tollefson and KGB in there instead of Osi and Stray.

The only pick-ups i'd want us to make would be for the rest of the year only, so if we could get Hall or KGB in for a half year deal then do it. The priority this offseason is signing Webster and Jacobs though, i would be gutted if either left especially Jacobs.

Giants' Tuck fined $7,500 for hit on Bollinger

It was a terrible call by the officials to flag this hit in the first place, but to back it up with a fine? What a load of BS.

HERE is the hit for those that didn't see it, it was late and he didn't do anything wrong, he should win the appeal.. surely.

Utter bullshit isnt it! They want to turn it into a sport for queers or something. Second BS unecessary roughness penalty in two weeks after the call on Kenny Phillips against the Steelers.

Â