Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not that defensive of him, just opposed to folks, claims, for wanting him gone.....I think the reasoning, is flawed, and contrived.

I can’t understand how mate. There’s so much data, results, league position, poor performances, just watch us play every week. The beale thing. How after all this information is available can you think the reasoning is flawed. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

your questioning, is tedious at best.

I am not that defensive of him, just opposed to folks, claims, for wanting him gone.....I think the reasoning, is flawed, and contrived.

Keeping it really simple then, if someone wanted rid of Gerrard for not fulfilling the "continuous progression" remit that Purslow stated as the reason for dismissing Dean Smith, would you consider that "contrived"?

I appreciate you offer an alternative point of view amongst the general vibe of this thread and I do enjoy your posts even playing devils advocate but where is the line for you?

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I’m not so sure the bar is that low, Paul. I think it’s higher than that. I suspect them feeling relegation is a realistic possibility over a period of another month or so and they’ll pot him, but I also feel that for him to be here next season, there’s going to have to be much better performances and results than he’s managed over the past year. I think they obviously accept that he’s a relative rookie and they chose him because of his standing and Purslow’s personal admiration for him. I also think having fully backed him with wages and buys and sales, they’ll be reluctant to pull the trigger and essentially admit they got the choice wrong. But on the other hand everything they’ve done to date has tangibly been with a clear aim of returning the club to the top part of the premier league and if Gerrard continues to have the team play dull football, bimble around the bottom 5 or 6 and generally look completely outthought and out of his depth in games then he will be gone by the end of the season, and maybe sooner if they have the pieces in place to get rid earlier.  There’s not a lot of crossover between ambition and sentiment.

Reasonable rendition Pete.

but there wasn't that much wrong when he pitched himself against Pep.

The low block opposition has been an achilles heel for us, for some time, way before SG.....and yes, we can't keep harping on about what was before, he has to fix things.

Like everyone else, I am tired, at swearing at the TV and pin pointing to my wife, why something simple is not executed and I do see why folk, question the Coaching.....but I say again, unless we see them in training, we are speculating.

I see during a game, questionable performances, things that I would expect a pro footballer with aspirations of international call up, would be on top of, They can't all be lead by the hand, or hide behind the coach.

I am not sure, where the club are with his job, I would suspect, my claims of relegation or the fans in the stadium turning, may prompt a rethink.

I am not suggesting for one minute Pete, that he is teflon, and neither is he, he accepts the criticism.....but the club took a gamble on his winning mentality, as I have....and he hasn't, so far been able to instill it in his players with any consistency.

I accept, being a winner, and getting someone else to be one, is a whole lot trickier.....maybe, I was hoping for too much too, like them.

9 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

In that case he is toast because there is a very serious threat to our Prem league status. A quarter of the way through the season we sit 2 places and 2 points above the drop zone and hand on heart given the tripe we have served up I think the 9 points we have flatter us.

I think the being blind here would be to actually back the manager who after 37 games in charge, 2 transfer windows (resulting in a big increase in the wage bill) and a full pre season, is serving up dire, negative, clueless crap and over the last 30, 20, 10, 5 games is averaging no more than a point a game.

The risk is not in getting rid of him.  The risk is in keeping him and blindly hoping he turns it around when all the evidence of the past year tells you that is cloud cuckoo land.

Well, as you know Mark, I value your opinion.

The benchmark will be if the hierarchy agree, (who I fancy know more than we do, from inside), if they do, fair do's......He's Toast.

If not we need to make to best of a bad situation.

There's a video somewhere with Gerrard quoting if he knew 10% of what Beale knew about tactics  systems he would be happy. So now Beale has gone, what does he really know? Without Critchly I think he would be proper in the shit.

If people are honest with themselves, he only won with Rangers, cause all it takes up there is just hard work with a minimum skill set.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If it was just about this winning mentality,  we should have kept Smith and signed someone like Coady and saved some money.😂

The giving him time like Arteta has had is just a little flawed. As I have said in a different thread, Arteta has had 200 mill to spend and was taught by Pep at arguably the best club in the world. Gerrard was taught at Rangers by Beale, who has just started his managerial career with QPR, see the difference?

well they have bought well too.

6 minutes ago, KitKat said:

Keeping it really simple then, if someone wanted rid of Gerrard for not fulfilling the "continuous progression" remit that Purslow stated as the reason for dismissing Dean Smith, would you consider that "contrived"?

I appreciate you offer an alternative point of view amongst the general vibe of this thread and I do enjoy your posts even playing devils advocate but where is the line for you?

when one manager has had 130 pops at getting it right, and the other c35......do you think thats a fair judgment?....I don't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

well they have bought well too.

They have been able to kick on because of success, this allows them to buy well. The direction we are are going, we couldn't even tempt a player from Brighton and have to do with Southampton's cast offs. 

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

There's a video somewhere with Gerrard quoting if he knew 10% of what Beale knew about tactics  systems he would be happy. So now Beale has gone, what does he really know? Without Critchly I think he would be proper in the shit.

If people are honest with themselves, he only won with Rangers, cause all it takes up there is just hard work with a minimum skill set.

38 players signed, a great coach behind him, one trophy in 9. A great achievement in now they won the league. But celtic also had a part tp play in it. The warning signs were there 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I can’t understand how mate. There’s so much data, results, league position, poor performances, just watch us play every week. The beale thing. How after all this information is available can you think the reasoning is flawed. 

The Beale thing....he presided over 12 defeats last season, how can you just dismiss that, and not  legitimate questioning.

Just now, TRO said:

when one manager has had 130 pops at getting it right, and the other c35......do you think thats a fair judgment?....I don't.

Artetas stock was far higher than Gerrards. He has the pedigree.

All about decisions too, an Gerrard has made some awful ones.

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Reasonable rendition Pete.

but there wasn't that much wrong when he pitched himself against Pep.

The low block opposition has been an achilles heel for us, for some time, way before SG.....and yes, we can't keep harping on about what was before, he has to fix things.

Like everyone else, I am tired, at swearing at the TV and pin pointing to my wife, why something simple is not executed and I do see why folk, question the Coaching.....but I say again, unless we see them in training, we are speculating.

I see during a game, questionable performances, things that I would expect a pro footballer with aspirations of international call up, would be on top of, They can't all be lead by the hand, or hide behind the coach.

I am not sure, where the club are with his job, I would suspect, my claims of relegation or the fans in the stadium turning, may prompt a rethink.

I am not suggesting for one minute Pete, that he is teflon, and neither is he, he accepts the criticism.....but the club took a gamble on his winning mentality, as I have....and he hasn't, so far been able to instill it in his players with any consistency.

I accept, being a winner, and getting someone else to be one, is a whole lot trickier.....maybe, I was hoping for too much too, like them.

There was also nothing wrong when Daniel Farke pitched himself against Pep in September 2019. Norwich won 3-2. Where did Norwich end the 19/20 season?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

They have been able to kick on because of success, this allows them to buy well. The direction we are are going, we couldn't even tempt a player from Brighton and have to do with Southampton's cast offs. 

Catch 22....I accept, been to story of our time.

but Brentford and Brighton seem to navigate the big money, well, and Newcastle have made a good start with reasonable transfer fee's.

its about getting square pegs in square holes and blending a balanced unit.....something we have struggled to do for some time.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

The Beale thing....he presided over 12 defeats last season, how can you just dismiss that, and not  legitimate questioning.

Why focus on that rather than the rest of the question, which actually makes up for more of the reasoning. We still played some nice football at times last season. Beales gone to QPR, relied on loans and free transfers and sits one point off top of the league. It’s not a coincidence. 

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Artetas stock was far higher than Gerrards. He has the pedigree.

All about decisions too, an Gerrard has made some awful ones.

Fair comment.....but he has not long been running through the Gauntlet....come through the other side and now its all hunky dory.

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Why focus on that rather than the rest of the question, which actually makes up for more of the reasoning. We still played some nice football at times last season. Beales gone to QPR, relied on loans and free transfers and sits one point off top of the league. It’s not a coincidence. 

Not the narrative, I get.

Just now, sparrow1988 said:

There was also nothing wrong when Daniel Farke pitched himself against Pep in September 2019. Norwich won 3-2. Where did Norwich end the 19/20 season?

The fans have to admit, it wasn't Villa at 110% either, Man City looked poor and could have quite easily ripped us a new one if they were on it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

but we haven't ended the season yet......we are 9 games in.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Catch 22....I accept, been to story of our time.

but Brentford and Brighton seem to navigate the big money, well, and Newcastle have made a good start with reasonable transfer fee's.

its about getting square pegs in square holes and blending a balanced unit.....something we have struggled to do for some time.

Maybe they just have better managers?

Â