Tiger vs Nicklaus

xliosive

Who is the greatest golfer?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest golfer?

• Nicklaus
    • Tiger

In light of the recent events - Tiger's B game beating everyone else's A game, let's ask the big question in golf:

Who would win in a game between Tiger and Nicklaus, both playing at their best...?

I'm gonna suggest that Tiger, providing he doesn't get seriously injured, is gonna smash Nicklaus' major record within 10 years. So I would have to say that Tiger is the best player the world has seen.

Nicklaus every time for me. Especially if it was matchplay.

Technology these days helps Tiger far too much. I mean I hit my dirver a good 40 yards further now than when I was far younger and fitter.

go for Nicklaus, I said in the US open thread he had far greater competition around

tecnology is why Tiger is so dominant, to counteract his length they are making courses longer and longer yet it is only teh long hitters who can rach 600 yard par 5 in two they are making it easier for him to win

tecnology is why Tiger is so dominant

Is tiger the only one with this tecnology?

I think it is really hard to compare players from different eras, but if tiger surpasses Nicklaus in the amout of majors won then tiger would be the greatest.

Technology in golf enables mediocre players to play much better golf. With this in mind, dominating so much and for quite a long period of time would suggest that Tiger Woods is second to none. But in all honesty, I believe that you can never truly compare players from different eras.

The technology argument is a bit swing and a miss, because surely Tiger is not the only one with access to this technology so it definitely doesn'make it easier for him to win.

Tiger is projected to win quite a few more majors than Nicklaus, in a more athletic, professional and competetive field of players. He's the greatest ever.

(This should perhaps be a poll?).

Tiger is projected to win quite a few more majors than Nicklaus, in a more athletic, professional and competetive field of players. He's the greatest ever.

Yes, the first thing that springs to mind when you look at Westwood and Mediate is "wow, professional and athletic" :lol:

Nicklaus had better competition, no one in their right mind could argue otherwise. Woods will go past 18 majors at some point probably but comparisons between the 2 are unfair.

Technology in golf enables mediocre players to play much better golf. With this in mind, dominating so much and for quite a long period of time would suggest that Tiger Woods is second to none. But in all honesty, I believe that you can never truly compare players from different eras.

I'd agreee with that. Though a big thing for me about Woods is that he hasn't come from behind after 54 holes to win a major.

I'd venture that there is one thing that Nicklaus did which Woods won't - and that is win a major at the age of 46.

I'd agreee with that. Though a big thing for me about Woods is that he hasn't come from behind after 54 holes to win a major.

I'd venture that there is one thing that Nicklaus did which Woods won't - and that is win a major at the age of 46.

Woods also never seems to get opponents making charges at him on the final day either, Nicklaus shot 65-66 back in 1977 in the last 2 days of the open and sitll lost :shock:

Yes, the first thing that springs to mind when you look at Westwood and Mediate is "wow, professional and athletic" :lol:

Nicklaus had better competition, no one in their right mind could argue otherwise.

I guess I'm not in my right mind, then, because I disagree.

I think it is fairly safe to say that the average professional golfer of today works harder than the average professional a couple of decades ago. There are more players making a living from the game than anytime before and golf has become a global sport with several highly competitive tours. Westwood and Mediate may look like your average pub guest, but you know they work extremely hard at what they do and they still can't quite compete on a regular basis.

The likes of Els, Singh, Mickleson, Goosen (and I could go on) can strike the ball as well as anyone and would have shared plenty more majors between them were it not for Tiger. This playing field is more competitive than ever and to dominate it in the way that Tiger has, makes him the greatest ever for me.

Nicklaus every time for me. Especially if it was matchplay.

Technology these days helps Tiger far too much. I mean I hit my dirver a good 40 yards further now than when I was far younger and fitter.

Give them both the same technology and an even playing field, I still think Tiger would win. Of course, perhaps we need to take 'which course'? into consideration :winkold:

Give them both the same technology and an even playing field, I still think Tiger would win.

Me too. Golf is much more competetive than it was in nicklaus's time as its not just a sport for the elite now its a truley global game. It takes alot more talent to dominant now like tiger does than it took bak in nicklaus' day.

Can we have a 'one can't compare them as they're from different eras' option, please? :D

Hmm...no, but I will add a 'They would tie and force an 18 hole play off the next day' option of you like. :winkold:

But it helps every golfer the same yet he still dominates those with equal equipment. And it's the short game that wins you trophies. That's where he really excels and that's not as susceptible to changing technology as it's not a raw power thing.

FWIW I believe there has never been a golfer like Woods.

But it helps every golfer the same yet he still dominates those with equal equipment. And it's the short game that wins you trophies. That's where he really excels and that's not as susceptible to changing technology as it's not a raw power thing.

FWIW I believe there has never been a golfer like Woods.

FWIW I believe there has never been a golfer like Nicklaus for without him and the battles he had in the 60s and 70s with Palmer and Watson the game would be nothing like the one Tiger dominates now.

I accept that there are far more good golfers now, I don't think they are competitive and see beating Woods as a challenge to accept.

To answer another point raised: The game is global yet all it means is that a lot of mediocre players are now making a living at it.

And back to BOF, short game technology. I bet Nicklaus wished he had a club (60degree wedge) that he could stop on a sixpence - he didn't have that. Also the advance in putting equipment is unbelievable too.

A bit off topic but it looks like Woods was injured before the US Open and did himself some serious damage during the tournament:

Injured Woods out for the season

US Open champion Tiger Woods will miss the rest of the season to undergo surgery on his injured left knee.

That means Woods is ruled out of the Open at Royal Birkdale, Ryder Cup and USPGA Championship.

"It was important to me that I disclose my condition publicly at an appropriate time," Woods said on his website.

"Now, it is clear that the right thing to do is listen to my doctors, follow though with this surgery, and focus my attention on rehabilitating my knee."

The website also stated that Woods needed time to recover from a fracture of the left tibia in his leg which were "attributed to Woods' intense rehabilitation and preparations for the US Open".

More to follow.

A bit off topic but it looks like Woods was injured before the US Open and did himself some serious damage during the tournament:

Injured Woods out for the season

US Open champion Tiger Woods will miss the rest of the season to undergo surgery on his injured left knee.

That means Woods is ruled out of the Open at Royal Birkdale, Ryder Cup and USPGA Championship.

"It was important to me that I disclose my condition publicly at an appropriate time," Woods said on his website.

"Now, it is clear that the right thing to do is listen to my doctors, follow though with this surgery, and focus my attention on rehabilitating my knee."

The website also stated that Woods needed time to recover from a fracture of the left tibia in his leg which were "attributed to Woods' intense rehabilitation and preparations for the US Open".

More to follow.

Yeh, just noticed that. My odds on Michelson winning the open chamionship have just gained 10 points in my favour. Could collect some winnings now!

Yeh, just noticed that. My odds on Michelson winning the open chamionship have just gained 10 points in my favour. Could collect some winnings now!

The kind of situation where it would pay to open up a betfair account and lay Mickelson, I'd have thought.

Â