Tiger vs Nicklaus

xliosive

Who is the greatest golfer?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest golfer?

• Nicklaus
    • Tiger

This kind of story just convinces both sides that they are right. The ones who think Tiger is the best ever will see him winning with 1-leg as proof. Same goes for those who think the competition isn't as fierce nowadays :)

FWIW I believe there has never been a golfer like Nicklaus for without him and the battles he had in the 60s and 70s with Palmer and Watson the game would be nothing like the one Tiger dominates now.

I accept that there are far more good golfers now, I don't think they are competitive and see beating Woods as a challenge to accept.

To answer another point raised: The game is global yet all it means is that a lot of mediocre players are now making a living at it.

And back to BOF, short game technology. I bet Nicklaus wished he had a club (60degree wedge) that he could stop on a sixpence - he didn't have that. Also the advance in putting equipment is unbelievable too.

Nicklaus also had Player, Trevino and later on Ballesteros to compete with in his career. Woods nearest 'challenge' is Ernie Els with a piffling 3 major titles to his credit.

Nicklaus had Player (9 majors) Palmer (7 majors) Watson (8 majors) Trevino (6 majors) Ballesteros (5 majors) to deal with, along with several others who had 3 or more. There may be a lot of good golfers around today to challenge Woods, but no 'great' ones. It's not just about hitting balls all day, the players back then used to practise just as hard - it's about mental toughness and this lot at the moment are a bunch of chokers, with the exception of Woods himself. Might be what you said about even the average players on your making fortunes out of the game...just no hunger there any more.

Mediate proved the point I've just made in that playoff - he had that title won and choked.

Nicklaus record in the majors is just amazing, even the ones he never won he was usually right up there:-

Starts - 163

Wins - 18

2nd place finishes - 19

Top 3 finishes - 46

Top 5 finishes - 57

Top 10 finishes - 73

Longest streak of top-10s in majors - 13

I have to say that I am not convinced that Woods will beat Nicklaus's record.

That is not to say that he won't beat it.

However, it is not the 'guaranteed' thing that it was. I am doubtful that Tiger will stay fit enough to be able to manage it (I actually think that this latest surgery is a last ditch attempt to extend his career - much though I am not a fan, I hope this is not the case).

We are talking about a knee injury and also, apparently, a double tibia fracture - they've not even mentioned his hip joints which some think are under extreme pressure because of the dynamics of his swing.

I have to say that I am not convinced that Woods will beat Nicklaus's record.

That is not to say that he won't beat it.

However, it is not the 'guaranteed' thing that it was. I am doubtful that Tiger will stay fit enough to be able to manage it (I actually think that this latest surgery is a last ditch attempt to extend his career - much though I am not a fan, I hope this is not the case).

We are talking about a knee injury and also, apparently, a double tibia fracture - they've not even mentioned his hip joints which some think are under extreme pressure because of the dynamics of his swing.

I have actually pointed this out on another site a while back and got crucified for being a 'hater' - the way Woods swings a golf club is not going to allow him longevity in the sport, no way. He's going to have to make adjustments as age kicks in, as Nicklaus did. Nicklaus was good enough to do it, is Tiger? Time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeh, just noticed that. My odds on Michelson winning the open chamionship have just gained 10 points in my favour. Could collect some winnings now!

The kind of situation where it would pay to open up a betfair account and lay Mickelson, I'd have thought.

Big Phil has drifted back out to about 16s for The Open.

I hope you didn't miss the boat, X?

Â