Internet Service Providers

rjw63

Having been with Virgin's excellent speeds for a few years I'm now having to get used to the idea of going back to phone-line internet as Virgin haven't put lines down where we are moving to.

So, who has experience of a decent company that works off phone-line? I've heard lots of complaints about Sky/BT and a few others.

Plusnet any good? TalkTalk?

Thanks in advance.

14 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Having been with Virgin's excellent speeds for a few years I'm now having to get used to the idea of going back to phone-line internet as Virgin haven't put lines down where we are moving to.

So, who has experience of a decent company that works off phone-line? I've heard lots of complaints about Sky/BT and a few others.

Plusnet any good? TalkTalk?

Thanks in advance.

Used plusnet b k in the day and they were fine, good customer service.

Mother has basic phone bband package with post office, who have just sold their Bband concern to  Shell, she has had endless problems but has a poor connection giving 2-4mb, v poor and whenever I've had to call up CS or Tech its a chore and with tech u get thru to talktalk tech ppl.

Goodluck pal.

• Like 1

Switched to a Zen FTTP deal last month (prompted by 8 years of Sky's constant price-hikes making our ADSL/phone line/TV package utterly untenable), they've been great so far.  Coverage is great, speed is great, stability is great and the one issue we had during the setup (transpired that the OpenReach engineer plugged the wrong lead into the router) was troubleshooted with relative ease with their helpdesk.  Early days but I can't recommend them enough at this point.

7 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Switched to a Zen FTTP deal last month (prompted by 8 years of Sky's constant price-hikes making our ADSL/phone line/TV package utterly untenable), they've been great so far.  Coverage is great, speed is great, stability is great and the one issue we had during the setup (transpired that the OpenReach engineer plugged the wrong lead into the router) was troubleshooted with relative ease with their helpdesk.  Early days but I can't recommend them enough at this point.

Never heard of them, thanks for the tip.

On 12/04/2021 at 14:24, rjw63 said:

Plusnet any good?

I've got them, and have unusually stayed with them for a good few years now. I'm not sure their customer service is anything to celebrate - usual hassles of having to chase stuff up - they never seems to sort things out first time....But stuff doesn't usually go wrong and best of all, for me - there's none of this having to renegotiate every year - they, unprompted, seem to offer renewal at a lower price in advance. I've got the lower speed fibre version for 22 quid a month - it's easily fast enough for iPlayer and on-demand telly stuff without buffering. Better than Sky and better than the Virgin dial up I had before that. But I'm not a massive user of broadband, really (except for WFH because of the fungus pandemic).

• Like 1

Yep, I'm with Plusnet and have no complaints.  I get good speed and on the one occasion I've had to phone them up (the new router they sent me wouldn't connect) they were friendly and got it sorted in no time. 

• Like 1

I've literally just had an email from Vodafone saying they're putting my price up by £3 a month. Speed and service was great until I saw that but reckon I'll switch once we move house (hopefully) in a few weeks. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/04/2021 at 13:16, GarethRDR said:

How are you finding the FTTP? We're moving to Cheshire next week and it looks like it's a fibre black spot and I'll struggle to get anything above 10MB speedwise. 

Apparently Airband have introduced FTTP to the area with super fast speeds but I've never heard of them or used FTTP before. 

8 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

How are you finding the FTTP? We're moving to Cheshire next week and it looks like it's a fibre black spot and I'll struggle to get anything above 10MB speedwise. 

Apparently Airband have introduced FTTP to the area with super fast speeds but I've never heard of them or used FTTP before. 

Night and day.  We only had an ADSL line before so it was always going to be a noticeable bump, and I've no experience on the difference between FTTC and FTTP so can't speak to that, but I couldn't ever go back.  We only took the 300mbps (in real terms we get speeds somewhere between 240-260mpbs down and 40-50mbps) deal; there were faster options of 500 or 900 but were told for our 2-person household we realistically wouldn't need more than the 300 (pleased they didn't try to upsell me something I wouldn't need) but the 300's been comparatively lightning quick for streaming and downloads and crucially, really stable.  Don't think we've had single outage, whereas with our old Sky package we were getting so many that it was the main driver for us jacking it in.  Wifi coverage has been fine too; I'm working pretty much on the other side of the house to the router and there's been no issues (that being said we do live in a prefab bungalow so the internal walls aren't massively thick) and we haven't needed to plump for the additional signal booster.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Night and day.  We only had an ADSL line before so it was always going to be a noticeable bump, and I've no experience on the difference between FTTC and FTTP so can't speak to that, but I couldn't ever go back.  We only took the 300mbps (in real terms we get speeds somewhere between 240-260mpbs down and 40-50mbps) deal; there were faster options of 500 or 900 but were told for our 2-person household we realistically wouldn't need more than the 300 (pleased they didn't try to upsell me something I wouldn't need) but the 300's been comparatively lightning quick for streaming and downloads and crucially, really stable.  Don't think we've had single outage, whereas with our old Sky package we were getting so many that it was the main driver for us jacking it in.  Wifi coverage has been fine too; I'm working pretty much on the other side of the house to the router and there's been no issues (that being said we do live in a prefab bungalow so the internal walls aren't massively thick) and we haven't needed to plump for the additional signal booster.

Sounds good. Zen aren't in our new area so looks like I'll try Airband and see what they're like. Assuming you've got a new box on the side of the house, is it massive/ugly/awkwardly placed or alright?

No worse than the previous Sky box, to be honest I don't really notice it.  It's certainly not big or anything (that's what she said).

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1

Â