Royal Family or Republic

Richard

Royal Family or Republic  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Royal Family or Republic

• Royal Family
    • Republic

Do you think we should have a Queen / King or should we have a republic?

I ask because of the "royal" wedding at the weekend. The new wife of Princess Anne's son gave up her religion so that he could retain his position as 11th in line to the throne. For me that was obviously so he could retain his privilege and whatever allowance he gets.

So do you think we should retain the monarchy?

Poll now added

Allowance from where, Richard?

He doesn't receive anything from the civil list, I don't think.

Maybe he's planning a bit of a coup? :D :winkold:

Anyway, I'm a republican at heart - not that I don't recognize that our head of state does play a part in many things from ceremonial occasions to tourism to raising the national profile.

At least the Queen is paying tax (whereas a great deal of those in the same bracket wealth-wise aren't).

With a republic comes the difficulty of electing or appointing a head of state. The former would require great constitutional change and the latter - well, appointed by whom? We've had enough problems with peerages for sale let alone 'head of state'-ships. :lol:

I thoughtb his mother got an increased allowance based on her children and their closeness to the throne, I could be wrong. He still gets title and privilege from his position though

I thoughtb his mother got an increased allowance based on her children and their closeness to the throne, I could be wrong. He still gets title and privilege from his position though

Anne may receive some sort of allowance from The Queen but that would come direct from the Queen's coffers and not from the taxpayer via the Civil List.

Peter Phillips doesn't have a title.

Does he still work for Williams (F1)?

The Royals bring in more income than what they get in benfits, although the benefits they get is too much (Prince Charles and his farms spring to mind) but as they bring in revenue they still have a use.

The Royals bring in more income than what they get in benfits, although the benefits they get is too much (Prince Charles and his farms spring to mind) but as they bring in revenue they still have a use.

I'm sorry but has anyone ever actually quantified that line that always gets trotted out about them bringing in more revenue than they recieve? Its up there with "they do so much for tourism in this country", People do not come here because we have a royal family, they come here to see the sights just like they do everywhere else in the world

And its quite possible to have a Royal Family and be a republic anyway, you just take away their constitutional entitlements, let them live their lives and tax the **** like everyone else. And the queen doesnt pay tax like the rest of us either, she just makes a "donation" to the public coffers, she hardly has customs & excise round inspecting the books does she

Title of 11th in line to the Throne!

:lol:

Ok. I meant Prince, Lord, Marquis, Duke, etc.

As pointed out earlier, though, 11th in line doesn't mean much - in fact he will only, in all likelihood, move further away from the throne (when other children are born) unless we have something akin to the Nepalese palace massacre. :)

And the queen doesnt pay tax like the rest of us either, she just makes a "donation" to the public coffers, she hardly has customs & excise round inspecting the books does she

Well, she (like Charles) pays tax voluntarily (since 1992) but I'd say that it is more than a 'donation'. (Though this is obviously speculation without the crown opening up its accounts to the public like Charles has done).

I'd be pretty confident that she pays a higher amount in tax (and a higher proportion of her income) than the likes of Philip Green, Mittal, Abramovic, the bloke running Northern Rock, etc.

Anyway, going a bit off topic, so I'll desist. :P

.... its quite possible to have a Royal Family and be a republic anyway, you just take away their constitutional entitlements, let them live their lives and tax the **** like everyone else. And the queen doesnt pay tax like the rest of us either, she just makes a "donation" to the public coffers, she hardly has customs & excise round inspecting the books does she

spot on Gareth. Keep the buildings/history, and have them as tourist attractions, relics if you like to a bygone age.

The tourists will still flock to see the history, not the people, as you don't get to see them now anyway.

I'd like an elected head of state i think, although i'm not sure i'd trust the general public to vote in someone suitable.

we'd end up with someone like Jade Goody as head of state! we'd be a laughing stock ...

:lol:

Â