Royal Family or Republic

Richard

Royal Family or Republic  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Royal Family or Republic

• Royal Family
    • Republic

I just don't see your point, what actually is it? The Royal Family reprisents tradition, and gives our country some national identity, they are a great international embassidor, I find it quite funny that Kiwi's love the Queen, as do most Aussies I know, and the Queens face is on their money.

Yeah there has been some embarrassments, in the shape of Phillip, but Tony Blair (The man who wanted to be head state) did many, many more..

Acutally Nick, any PM is voted in

the head of state is not

like I asked Tony who refused to answer how do you reconcile being a democrat and having the head of state just because they were born into the family (and is it still the male ?)

keep the royal family as a freak show but strip them of all privledge and the head of the state

The Royal Family reprisents tradition, and gives our country some national identity,

Right so much so we're actually fookin German and Greek? Thats just codswallop Nick and you know it, the Royal spongers are no more British than Ho Chi fookin Minn and represent now to do with Britishness at all

In fact Fergie and Princess Died of Paris were much closer blood relations to Charles II than any of this bunch

Ian, I do debate, but there is no point in going round in circles, not to mention whena point is raised that you cannot answer, you deflect, and draw the debate in a different directs, like I said there is no point!

They don't do anything, yes the principle of someone being born into a higher power isn't quite on, but... well, they don't do anything. They just act like PR for Britain on their jollies round the world. And we love our pomp and circumstance so it gives us an excuse to keep it up. Seems a bit of a waste of time to get rid of them. Besides being a republic would just replace them with a President who happens to actually have power and be keen to use it. So you replace a dusty old tradition with a new, modern, forward thinking bloke with a shitload of power he can actually use, and it's all because want to vote for their head of state? Nah thanks.

your weird Nick, totally, in a thread about the royal family, I think the point I am making is quite clear

the reason you refuse to answeris that I suspect as a supporter of the royal family as head of state it is undemocratic to keep them

would you be so keen if the next king was a nutter or a labour supporter ?

very true

ha ha ha

and Chindie they still have power but it has never been exercised in public, but in private it is know that charles is constantly harranging teh governemnet regardless of colour ...

only by birth does he get that privledge

The Royals bring in more income than what they get in benfits, although the benefits they get is too much (Prince Charles and his farms spring to mind) but as they bring in revenue they still have a use.

Sooo...people visit Versailles because they want to see the French Royal family? Oh no! They're dead!

Maybe the tourist income would continue even if they weren't there? Well, probably.

Actually, I'm just refining some business plan projections of the likely effect on national income and expenditure of hanging the royal family from lampposts, one by one, and selling tickets and TV rights. Initial findings are that while it would have a net benefit to the economy, lampposts are probably too restricted a platform to maximise the revenue stream. Limited views and all that.

So I agree that they have a clear economic value. Just not necessary to allow them to prance about at our expense in order to realise that value. Other methods are available.

I know they retain power Ian, they just dont use it since it's too contraversial for them to do. I believe the last time they were used was to attempt to sort out the mess government was in and to actually put a PM place, back in the 70's I think? It's hardly like they ride round the country on the backs of the peasants and arbitrarily picking someone out and decreeing 'OFF WITH HIS HEAD!', is it? :lol: . Beyond the principle of it... it seems pointless to change it.

thing is chindie there is power and it resides because of birth ...

strip them off the power and no need for them, figure heads are nothing

maybe the power will never be used but whilst it is we can not be democratic

though I knwo the linkes of Gringo and Bicks will debate whether any system in place is 'democratic'

Well unfortunately it's a principle that doesn't really bother me until they abuse it, which isn't going to happen. I'd feel much much less confident with a bloke in power who is thoroughly expected to use a far greater amount of power. Look up some of the quotes from the old French Presidents. 'I am France' and the like. No thank you.

As for the democratic debate... thats a whole new area and one that the phrase can of worms seems unfit for, so I'll say it'd be more accurate to say it's a supertanker of worms.

I'd feel much much less confident with a bloke in power who is thoroughly expected to use a far greater amount of power. Look up some of the quotes from the old French Presidents. 'I am France' and the like. No thank you.

A republic does not have to be organised like that, Chindie. Read up on your comparative politics ;)

I'd feel much much less confident with a bloke in power who is thoroughly expected to use a far greater amount of power. Look up some of the quotes from the old French Presidents. 'I am France' and the like. No thank you.

A republic does not have to be organised like that, Chindie. Read up on your comparative politics ;)

Thought you'd have gathered I'm not a lover of this aspect of politics Mich ;):lol: . I do tend to think when people say they want a republic they think France or the US however.

Still dont have any problem with the modern incarnation of our royal family. They're like wallpaper.

Â