Rush vs. Blue Oyster Cult

leviramsey

Rush v. Blue Oyster Cult  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Rush v. Blue Oyster Cult

• Rush
    • Blue Oyster Cult

It's tough to come up with bands to compare with Rush, but I'll try for rough contemporaries with the "thinking man's hard rock/borderline metal" tag. Queensryche and Dream Theater were considered, but as they come somewhat later, were dismissed.

Relevant youtube vids:

Rush - YYZ

Blue Oyster Cult - Take Me Away

Rush - Anthem

(I'm not totally sure whether I prefer the Metallica cover or the original)

Hmmm, more interesting for me, this one. Unlike the prvious polls, where I had a deep emotional attachment ("soundtrack of my youth") to the artists concerned, these two are "just bands" to me. And furthermore, just bands in a genre that I have only a passing interest in. So....

Rush. Always struck me as a sort of poor man's Yes/Zeppelin hybrid. Good musicians though. The whole Ayn Rand ultra-individualist business with "The Trees" rather turned my stomach, and in their later years they seemed to be "doing a Genesis" and trying to sound more "modern". Dunno.

BOC. Well, let's face it, "Reaper" is a classic of Byrds-influenced metal, but what else is there? I bought "Agents Of Fortune" onthe strength of it and was a little disappointed (the presence of the pretentious Patti Smith didn't help much). Other than that I've only heard odd tracks, and they all sounded a bit... cartoonish.

SO, unlike the 60s polls, where I couldn't choose between acts I loved with a passion, with this one I have two bands I'm equally lukewarm about.

I think I "approve" of BOC more, but Rush seem like they've produced better albums (2112 and Farewell To Kings seem pretty impressive), so I've voted Rush.

I do like BOC but it would have to be Rush even though the last good album they released was Grace Under Pressure in 1983. Their new stuff doesn't do it for me at all, but the period from Caress of Steel to Hemispheres particularly, was a huge influence on me when I was younger. Dunno if its significant with mjmooneys comments but I never got (couldn't stand) Yes and only had a passing interest in Zeppelin, so they do seem to not totally crossover. Or maybe I'm just poor :P

As for BOC I don't think Agents of Fortune is that good, and though DFTR is a good track, its not typical. Secret Treaties would be the one to listen to for me, although I do quite like the debut too.

Rush. Always struck me as a sort of poor man's Yes/Zeppelin hybrid. Good musicians though. The whole Ayn Rand ultra-individualist business with "The Trees" rather turned my stomach, and in their later years they seemed to be "doing a Genesis" and trying to sound more "modern". Dunno.

tbf, Neil Peart has written in his book Travelling Music (which I highly recommend: a travelogue through the American Southwest combined with a memoirs of sorts of his youth, told via the CD changer on the journey... it contains a substantial discussion on the Beatles vs. the Beach Boys, and I confess that major portions of my posts in that thread were influenced by his writing... I guess he's okay for someone born in '52 ( ;) )):

To a 20-year-old struggling musician, The Fountainhead was a revelation, an affirmation, an inspiration. Although I would eventually grow into and, largely, out of Ayn Rand's orbit, her writing was still significant stepping-stone or waystation for me, a black-and-white starting point along the journey to a more nuanced philosophy and politics. Most of all, it was the notion of individualism that I needed: the idea that what I felt, believed, liked, and wanted was important and valid.

The Genesis comparison is apt (though I have to say my favorite Genesis period is the Collins-dominant '80s... I also like Collins' solo work). Indeed, perhaps Rush v. Genesis is the real comparison to be made, although Rush always seemed to lean more towards the heavy British blues sound rather than prog; their third phase, which has generally toned down the keyboards is much more in that vein (e.g. http://youtube.com/watch?v=ygs0eJm8Sn4... that version is from their 2002 tour, and the song ended up being dedicated to John Entwistle....).

Obviously I voted for Rush, if the fact that I own the various Peart books hasn't given that away :D

Two bands that I love, but for me Rush.

BOC have made some great music, but they have interspersed with some real turkeys. Also, when they were 'big', their live performances were disappointing. Fortunately they are a bit better live nowadays.

For me Rush from their inception through to Moving Pictures are simply the finest band that I have known. Signals onwards the direction was a little too different for me,although I can still pick out some good moments, but last year's 'Snakes and Arrows' was reminiscent of past glories. I have never seen a bad live performance from them either.

But, having said all that, I wouldn't have compared these two bands, but then accept that it is difficult to find a comparison for either.

Rush. All the way. Any band who can survive over 30 years, change their musical sound yet still be recognisable, play live with perfection and have lyrics that actually make you think deserve respect, even if not to other's musical taste. Simply one of the best bands ever IMO.

Valentine is done

Here but now they're gone

Romeo and Juliet

Are together in eternity...Romeo and Juliet

40,000 men and women everyday...Like Romeo and Juliet

40,000 men and women everyday...Redefine happiness

Another 40,000 coming everyday...We can be like they are

Come on baby...don't fear the reaper

Baby take my hand...don't fear the reaper

We'll be able to fly...don't fear the reaper

Say no more.

Â