Academy General Topic

smetrov

Has Daniel Crowley left for Arsenal? I've seen a lot of reports that says just that, but I can't find out if true. I know it has been discussed in here earlier, but as far as I remember, nobody back then, really knew what had happened.

Has Daniel Crowley left for Arsenal? I've seen a lot of reports that says just that, but I can't find out if true. I know it has been discussed in here earlier, but as far as I remember, nobody back then, really knew what had happened.

It was confirmed. It's cited in the media. It's also a matter of controversy over the new youth football regulations since Villa are not going to be compensated for Crowley's true value. He had yet to sign a full professional contract so Arsenal are only liable to us for his training expenses.

It was confirmed. It's cited in the media. It's also a matter of controversy over the new youth football regulations since Villa are not going to be compensated for Crowley's true value. He had yet to sign a full professional contract so Arsenal are only liable to us for his training expenses.

That sucks!

But thanks for the quick answer.

The argument was not over the lack of pro contract. He was 15 and therefore Villa were compensated for an u16 player to the tune of £200,000. However, Villa argued that as he was playing at u18 level they should be compensated for an u18 player.

The bigger argument was over the fact that the new category system is supposed to ensure the best players are in the best academies (category 1). It seems that nobody really thought about players switching between category 1 academies and it isn't really how it was intended to work.

Needless to say, I am sure you can guess which side won the battle.

SSN -

Aston Villa academy director Brian Jones feels more help from the government is needed to help youth football.

In the wake of FA chairman's Greg Dyke's demands for better coaching standards, Jones feels that the government need to make an impact at junior school level.

"For me football at youth level was in the decline from the 1980s when teachers went on strike and ended their involvement and from that moment at youth level the game has been in a decline," he told Sky Sports News.

"And I don't think it is a Premier league problem or an FA problem I think the government has to look more closely at junior school, so it makes more sense to me to put sports teachers in junior schools."

Jones also feels that clubs need to take responsibility for bringing on players and not blame managers for signing foreigners.

"If I was a first-team manager on a three-year contract, I would want to keep my job for probably 15 years, so if that means getting the best players in then fine, if those best players are foreign? What is the answer? He will bring them in and and fine.

"We have got to produce better young player in this country to stop the influx."

Jones also feels that academies including Villa's need to be more selective.

"We are not, in my opinion, selective enough, we have too many players in our academy - where 50 per cent of them don't have a chance to carry on let alone reach the Premier League."

2nd time in about 4 months he's said that the academy is full of players that wont make it, talks a lot of sense, of course being criticised for demotivating the youth by saying they wont make it but the percentage chance of making it is ridiculous so I agree with him saying it, most of the kids probably need it

Edited by villa4europe

• 2 weeks later...
Â