Full 90 Friday

sir_gary_cahill

Doesn't feel like the best time for the club to be focusing on last years play-off success considering that there's a very good chance that that success could be all undone the way the season is turnng out, think it would have been better for them to do this if/after we confirm our safety, feels bittersweet at the moment.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

This week on full 90 Friday at 7pm, they are showing our famous 1-0 victory over Bayern Munich in the European Cup final in 1982 :)

I’ve got it on DVD somewhere, to be honest it’s not the most exciting game you’ll ever watch. 

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

I’ve got it on DVD somewhere, to be honest it’s not the most exciting game you’ll ever watch. 

Is it a backs to the walls job? I’ve never seen the whole match, so I’ll definitely be tuning in

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Is it a backs to the walls job? I’ve never seen the whole match, so I’ll definitely be tuning in

Think of Bayern Munich-Chelsea in 2012 and it's not far off that. We did ride our luck at times but Bayern had a fantastic team so was expected.

Interested who does the comms, Brian Clough was rooting for us big time on the ITV highlights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just watched it, it wasn’t pretty to say the least but we got the job done, it was backs to the wall for virtually the whole 90 minutes. We never do things the easy way, it’s just not synonymous with Villa, did anyone else watch it just now? If not, you can watch it again on VillaTV on the official site

I watched it live on TV when I was eight years old, apart from a period of play of about 20 minutes from the first half to the second half when I cowardly ran upstairs to hide in my bedroom as I couldn't take the stress. (In my defence, I did bravely tune into the match on my radio while I was up there, which seemed a bit less unbearable). Fortunately I ventured downstairs back into the living room in time for our goal, phew. It seems like a dream to me now but I'm very glad I watched it, well, most of it! I must have been a proud little kid at my primary school the following day. : )

Edited by robby b

15 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Just watched it, it wasn’t pretty to say the least but we got the job done, it was backs to the wall for virtually the whole 90 minutes. We never do things the easy way, it’s just not synonymous with Villa, did anyone else watch it just now? If not, you can watch it again on VillaTV on the official site

To be fair, we dominated the first quarter of the game, more or less, which is a great achievement against Rumenigge and Breitner and co.. I loved watching the whole game last night, for the first time since 1982. In the first half I noticed a cheeky guard dog near the halfway line leaping and barking towards one of our players as he took a throw-in, which got me thinking. 🤔 Was that police dog angry or excited and happy? Despite being Dutch maybe it wasn't neutral and had decided to bark for the Villa on the night? And what about the dog that we can hear barking very loudly throughout the second half?! I can't help thinking it may have been the same dog I just mentioned. Woof.

Edited by robby b
  • Haha 1

I watched the 1994 league cup final on AVTV last night. I watched it live on television that day back in 94 too but just can't remember where! :s Lost in the mists of time. Maybe at a friend's house in Woking, my hometown, or maybe at my student house in Leicester. 🤔 Anyway, last night it was very nice to see us beat Man United for a change! 😅 Hahaha.

What a team we had back then!!! Holy McGrath, Atkinson, Saunders, Richardson, Bosnich, Staunton, Townsend and twisty turny Daley with his electric pace on the left wing (he was probably my favourite player when I was growing up). What a team! Wow. And the other three players, who I remember less, seem to have been pretty good too: Fenton, Teale and Barrett. Daley was so unlucky not to score that day, in the last few minutes he smashed a shot from the edge of the area against the bar (which led to our penalty a few seconds later, which Saunders scored to put the game to bed, 3-1). The whole team played really well, they stunned big favourites United (who had an even more stellar starting line-up than us: Cantona, Giggs, Kanchelskis, Keane, Hughes... !) That was a magnificent day.

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â