Baseball

ianrobo1

Of course, Sox manager Ozzie Guillen is always there to calm the waters.

:lol:

The dynamic in Chicago, above and beyond the class dynamic is that the Sox, despite being marginally more successful over the past century or so, have never managed to dislodge the Cubs (who probably have something like twice the fans in the Chicago area and at least 10-20 times more fans outside of the Chicago area). As such, the White Sox have always been the poor sisters when it comes to media coverage (the Cubs being owned by the main newspaper, who also own a TV channel might have something to do with this), and everything associated with the club seemingly has a chip on its shoulder regarding the Cubs. This gets intensified by the Cub fans often refusing to admit that there's any rivalry: many Cub fans were rooting for the Sox when the Sox won the '05 Series, but I don't think any Sox fans would ever root for the Cubs.

Guillen (a longtime White Sox player, one of the rare good-to-great players who turned out to be a decent manager (to touch on another thread)) has developed quite a reputation for speaking his mind at press conferences:

On Magglio Ordonez (who had left the White Sox to sign with the division rival Detroit Tigers):

He's playing with fire. I'm not afraid of him. I have nothing to apologize to him for. I have nothing to do with Magglio wearing the Detroit Tigers uniform. Every time he played for me, he played good, but if he thinks I'm his enemy or I have something against him, that's up to him. Magglio is full of shit. Apologize to who? I don't have to apologize to anybody because, first of all, he's the first one to name me. He said I was pushing him to play [last season], and I was responsible. Don't make me feel like I was the bad guy in this. He never was my friend because I don't know him. If he thinks what I said hurt him, I don't give a shit. I didn't come here to make friends, I came here to win games. I've got a lot of friends. If Magglio doesn't want to be my friend, I'm not going to lose sleep at night. He's a piece of shit. He's another Venezuelan really bad person. **** him. He thinks he's got an enemy? No, he's got a big one. He knows I can **** him over in a lot of different ways. He better shut the **** up and just play for the Detroit Tigers. Why do I have to go over and even apologize to him? Who the **** is Magglio Ordóñez? What did he ever do for me? He didn't do shit for me. But he said I'm his enemy -- he knows me. Tell him he knows me, and he can take it how he wants to take it. Did he play good for me? Yes, he did. Did he play hard for me? Yes, he did. He might like me. He might be sensitive of me. He might be jealous of me, I don't know why. But saying I'm his enemy, he hates me, I could care less what that shit thinks. I don't give a shit what he does with the rest of his life. He **** with the wrong guy, and he knows that, too. He knows for a fact that he **** with the wrong people.

In a game on August 29, 2006 White Sox pitcher Freddy Garcia hit Tampa Bay Devil Rays batter Delmon Young in his 1st MLB plate appearance. Young had thrown a bat at a minor league umpire and was suspended 50 games for it earlier in the year. After the game, Ozzie claimed he didn't order it, saying, "Even when I order my guys to hit batters, they don't."

After a local journo criticized a decision, he referred thusly to the journo: "What a piece of shit he is, a **** fag." He later said that in Venezuela "fag" did not connote homosexuality and said:

If I hurt anybody with what I called him, I apologize, but I wasn't talking about those people. I was talking strictly about [Mariotti]. I will apologize to the people I offended because I should have used another word. Besides that, I'm still waiting for Jay. Why he's so afraid to show up to the ballpark? When you're afraid to do something, you feel guilty about something. Then tell him we'll pay his cab. Tell him to tell us where he lives, and we'll bring him to the ballpark and we'll have a conversation. But that's the way he is. He's garbage, still garbage, going to die as garbage. Period.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Mets fan the end of the regular season was painful to say the least.......again.

I'm going to be pulling for the Rays - how great would it be to see a team that has never had a winning record before this year go all the way to the WS?

Plus they have ex-Tokyo man Akinori Iwamura who I saw a lot of during his time in Japan - tidy little player.

Red Sox winning 4-1, middle of the 9th

Come on Pap... finish 'em off son!

Jason Bay has played well in his first play-off game... Ellsbury's had a bit of stormer too!

If the Red Sox don't win, I'd love to see the Rays get there. I'm not a fan of the White Sox at all... and the Rays' 2008 story is quite incredible!

I love it. Massive Braves fan, have been for many many years. Since before the Big 3 actualy.

Think we've got a real chance this year. Solid Starting pitching depth and an AL offence. Watch out Mutts and the Phillies, we're coming for you!

Did you know that the Braves were originally from Boston? They moved to Milwaukee in the 50's and then to Atlanta in the late 60's.

Thaks for the quotes Levi - some great ones there.

I remember during one broadcast, Ozzie was talking non stop to a rival fan next to the dugout during the game. The poor fan left late in the game and his seat was taken by another and Ozzie began bending the new fan's ear. The commentator said that they had to bring in a 'pinch listener'.

watching the Brewer/Phillies match now and one question why do they wear gloves in baseball makes it so easy for them

Heheh, have you ever tried to field a hard hit 90mph line drive?

To do that with bare hands is risking all your fingers.

cricket mate ...

some of the catches in the deep are made so easy compare it to cricket cathes without gloves ...

watching the Brewer/Phillies match now and one question why do they wear gloves in baseball makes it so easy for them

Heheh, have you ever tried to field a hard hit 90mph line drive?

To do that with bare hands is risking all your fingers.

cricket mate ...

some of the catches in the deep are made so easy compare it to cricket cathes without gloves ...

I think the difference is the way they hit a ball, I find trying to hit a cricket ball very awkward, while in baseball you have the power of your whole upperbody pretty much hitting the ball. I don't know what the average speed per hit or anything is, but I'd guess that a baseball is hit much harder, making it more dangerous to catch bare handed.

the speed of the pitch and bowl is much the same, maybe off the bats there is a n argument for the close fielders but those in the 'deep' come on ...

trust me and anyone who plays cricket will confirm the cricket ball is a bloody hard thing !!

the speed of the pitch and bowl is much the same, maybe off the bats there is a n argument for the close fielders but those in the 'deep' come on ...

I don't know how much baseball you watch but a line drive to the outfield can have quite a lot of speed in it even when it reaches the outfielders.

I've never played baseball properly, but I've played a little catch with my brother and trust me the gloves are absolutely necessary. We throw a real baseball and even with the gloves it can be painfull to catch if you put a little power in the throw.

I can't see a problem with baseball players wearing gloves.

After all, would you want your $100 million shortstop sitting on the sidelines because he injured his hand on a line drive?

Bear in mind that hand injuries are far more detrimental to baseball players as it can really affect the power in their swing.

no Mich I have not and world love to know if anyone has played the two at a decent level

Then you really don't know what you're talking about do you? :)

I don't really care about the cricket comparison. Catching a cricket ball may hurt like f... and maybe cricket players are harder than baseball players - fair play to them if they are.

A lot of footballers don't wear shin pads in training. Doesn't mean those who do wear them are wimps. It's about protecting what you rely on to make a living.

Plus, catching a line drive (or even a fly ball) without a glove is very difficult to do without dropping it or missing the ball completely. Baseball would be a completely different game without the gloves, as it would be far easier for the offense to get hits.

Baseball would be a completely different game without the gloves, as it would be far easier for the offense to get hits.

Think that is the key issue.

Bingo.

The dynamic in cricket is for scoring runs to be virtually automatic, compared to the paucity of scoring in baseball.

Â