Rape Culture in India

maqroll

Just when you've seen the most depraved and cruel rape case coming out of India, another new story shocks the soul. What makes it even more scary for women over there is that often times it's a male family member (or more) committing the crime. Who do you turn to when even your father and uncles and cousins are the perpetrators? And the courts and police are useless while society at large shrugs it off. 

Rape obviously is a problem in every society and culture, but is seems like India is fertile ground for sexual violence.

People should not travel there in protest to motivate the govt to act meaningfully.

Per capita India is a mere footnote. The US has a much more significant problem in comparison and South Africa dwarfs that. Rape is the lowest of the low. Its a sickening form of violence and it is a complex subject matter. It is without question an issue for all countries but per Capita it is not something that India should be singled out for.

World Population Review

1A3183F8-898B-4324-9678-26DB18C50442.jpeg

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Per capita India is a mere footnote. The US has a much more significant problem in comparison and South Africa dwarfs that. Rape is the lowest of the low. Its a sickening form of violence and it is a complex subject matter. It is without question an issue for all countries but per Capita it is not something that India should be singled out for.

World Population Review

1A3183F8-898B-4324-9678-26DB18C50442.jpeg

Be careful quoting figures comparing countries. You run into all sorts of problems like what what a country considers to be rape and whether a rape was reported (and therefore recorded) at all. Sweden features high on these charts because their definition of rape covers a lot of acts that would be considered ‘sexual assault’ in other countries and women in Sweden are more likely to report an incident to police.

Attitudes towards women in some parts of India are truly shocking to read about though. I suspect there may be many more cases that are occurring but are not being recorded in these records quoted. 

• Like 1

I understand your point, @Seat68 relative to per capita statistics. I think that perhaps because this happens in India- an influential country, culture, society, regional power, major global player, biggest democracy, etc. suggests that maybe massive scale sexual violence and institutional apathy is worth more scrutiny than Lesotho and Suriname. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

I understand that it's statistics and this detracts a little from the overall issue. I am not intending to do that. My point is there is a problem but India is not alone in all of this.  

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I understand that it's statistics and this detracts a little from the overall issue. I am not intending to do that. My point is there is a problem but India is not alone in all of this.  

Well you could also say bring in those statistics is a distraction from the topic being discussed. If you were to take those statistics at face value you would conclude that women in Syria and Yemen are many orders of magnitude safer from being raped than women in Sweden or Norway. That statistic does not pass the ‘sniff test’ for me.

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Any view on why the rates are so high in Sweden?

Anyway, let's park that for this thread. You're completely distracting from the thread with a naive use of statistics. Statistics are only as good as the data collection that underpins them. In India this collection is poor and sexual violence and rape against women is not taken seriously by the police so the figures on these crimes are heavily biased downwards.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

When I worked in the university I remember a project regarding sanitation that failed cause the toilets were to far from the houses. This was India,  Pakistan and Nepal iirc. 

Basically women didn't use the facilities installed due to the risk of rape when it was too far from their house. So they did their business as close to their front door they could. 

We didn't even consider that thing at all. It's hard to understand cultures you have no experience from. 

28 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My point really was not to single out a lone country. Worldwide there is a problem.

But you can differentiate where rape culture is worse in the world due to, well, cultural reasons and institutional failures etc and thus have specific discussions about those countries and cultures. We should be able to do that.

If we just sit back and say well, there's a worldwide problem, then why bother having discussion in the first place. Coming in with points like that really offers very little.

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

But you can differentiate where rape culture is worse in the world due to, well, cultural reasons and institutional failures etc and thus have specific discussions about those countries and cultures. We should be able to do that.

If we just sit back and say well, there's a worldwide problem, then why bother having discussion in the first place. Coming in with points like that really offers very little.

I have no experience of culture outside of the UK so all of my reference is articles and statistics. I would suggest you ignore what I am saying and not be distracted by my posts that you disagree with and instead move on to the wider discussion. 

The fact that India has a high % of men vs women might play some part. One of the highest % in the world.

Almost almost 108 men per 100 women or close to 52% male population. 

In isolation it's not that much but over 1.34 billion it turn into 70.000.000 more men than women.

Obviously this doesn't help explain why men feel they have the right to do something like that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sne said:

The fact that India has a high % of men vs women might play some part. One of the highest % in the world.

Almost almost 108 men per 100 women or close to 52% male population. 

In isolation it's not that much but over 1.34 billion it turn into 70.000.000 more men than women.

Obviously this doesn't help explain why men feel they have the right to do something like that.

It’s not relevant in that more ‘single’ men should never ever lead to rapes.

It is relevant in why there are more men than women. Male babies are seen as having more ‘worth’ than female. Something that then follows females all through their life, worth less. For a wide and not wholly well researched number of reasons there are more male babies and more of them survive to adulthood.

• Like 1

Â