Do you read?

Luke_W

I've always thought the only similarity between the GOT books and the LOTR books is the fact that they are both set in a fantasy world.

They are VASTLY different in pretty much every other way.

For what it's worth I think they are both incredible series of books and I would absolutely love to have the kind of mind that could create those worlds.

I've always thought the only similarity between the GOT books and the LOTR books is the fact that they are both set in a fantasy world.

They are VASTLY different in pretty much every other way.

For what it's worth I think they are both incredible series of books and I would absolutely love to have the kind of mind that could create those worlds.

That was kind of the point of my "GTFO" - it seemed like a slightly inappropriate comparison. 

I've dipped into GRRM, and I don't like the writing style, and I've seen clips of the TV series and don't feel moved to watch it - but I can see that they are excellent examples of their craft, and I fully understand why people like them. 

Just not for me, that's all. 

Lord of the Dance is a song!

I just knew it the minute after I'd posted that maybe that wasn't a book. Especially with that wink. Sometimes I'm just stupid. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HbJqEc_2Qc

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How about George RR Martin envisioned a deeper and better world than Tolkien?

GTFO.

It is. It's better and less ghey.

For the record I do like LOTR.

At least Tolkien has some ideas for how to end his books, A Song of Ice and Fire has just descended into aimless rambling. And it has none of the depth of LOTR, with all the histories, cultures and languages that Tolkien came up with. 

GTFO.

At least Tolkien has some ideas for how to end his books, A Song of Ice and Fire has just descended into aimless rambling. And it has none of the depth of LOTR, with all the histories, cultures and languages that Tolkien came up with.

I agree on the first point, he is incredibly frustrating. Don't agree about the lack of depth, histories and cultures at all though. There's no end of prequel potential.

GTFO.

I agree on the first point, he is incredibly frustrating. Don't agree about the lack of depth, histories and cultures at all though. There's no end of prequel potential.

The potential is there, but I don't believe it's been developed beforehand. I'm not sure about the order Tolkien did all his work in, but I believe he'd invented the entire history of middle earth before LOTRs and I think that shows through. 

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested in reading something a little more experimental, then I recommend this

a-girl_fb-500x697.jpg

It's brilliant. Really, really bloody brilliant. I suggest reading the first page before buying it (although I'd say do that with any book). If you find the prose annoying, run away, far far away.

Anyway, I'm going to read 'Jesus' Son' by Denis Johnson, then I'm going on a Brontë binge.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Â