Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

That's been greeted as good news by Villa fans, but I was hoping that her signing a professional contract would have already been pre-agreed when she joined the club last summer. Have been slightly concerned that Arsenal might try and take her alongside van Domselaar

Some big free agents available this summer. Highly unrealistic and most likely impossible but still Fran Kirby would be some signing. 

Arsenal also letting Miedema leave on a free is crazy to me. 

• Like 1

Ruby Mace, Katie Robinson, and Poppy Pattinson all out of contract in the summer, all would be good signings for us, similar profile to the Salmon and Parker signings last summer. If Melanie Phillips is appointed as our manager, which is probably a possibility as would be a surprise if she isn't on the list, then maybe that would give us a better chance of Robinson and Pattinson

Kirsty Hanson named players' player of the year, and Rachel Daly supporters' player of the year

No young player of the year been announced, I thought they might have given it to Poor or McLoughlin, I hope that that they haven't given it to Poor isn't an ominous sign for her Villa future, losing her now would be a more worrying indication for our future than losing any other player, although I don't think the mens' team have announced their young player of the season either.

Danielle Turner got goal of the seaon for goal against Manchester City

Leat is out of contract at the end of the season, so unless we're going to give her the No.1 Spot then I think her leaving was always a strong possibility, I personally think she's a very good goalkeeper, I think her stats bear that out too, we've been very lucky to have had a second choice that good, wouldn't complain if she did stay on as No.1, but if club wants someone more high profile or proven as first choice, the wouldn't blame her for leaving for more game time, or the club for that matter if they think they can get someone better

I don't know anything about Sabrina D’Angelo but Arsenal fans seem gutted she's leaving

We might need two goalkeepers, depending on whether we think Poor is ready to be No.2, presuming Poor signs professional terms with us,

Manager Carla Ward said: “Rachel is someone I’d previously worked with before her arrival at Aston Villa, and she has become a prominent figure within the playing squad ever since she joined us a couple of seasons ago. Her experience and leadership has played a hugely important part in our success in recent years and that will remain invaluable in 2024/25.”

Seems strange to have a quote like that from a departing manager

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Manager Carla Ward said: “Rachel is someone I’d previously worked with before her arrival at Aston Villa, and she has become a prominent figure within the playing squad ever since she joined us a couple of seasons ago. Her experience and leadership has played a hugely important part in our success in recent years and that will remain invaluable in 2024/25.”

Seems strange to have a quote like that from a departing manager

Could be a deal, quote and all, that was all sorted out and ready before Ward decided to depart, and has only just been announced? Otherwise it is a tad strange, yes, would have expected Billiard to be the one to give the quote otherwise

• Like 1

I see that Arsenal women are now going to play all their home games at the Emirates due to the amount that want to watch them play.

Pity our women cannot play all their games at VP other than a handful of games. Admittedly we dont get the same amount turning up to watch as Arsenal women though.

Surely Corsie new contract suggests we've got a manager lined up for next season as wouldn't make sense to give her a contract and then appoint someone who might not want her

If so suggests to me someone who has already worked with Corsie, as wouldn't really be an obvious choice to give her another year, I had kind of taken it for granted she would be leaving

First name that comes to mind is Remi Allen, she's played with Amy Rodriguez who is now a manager, and Laura Harvey was her manager at Utah Royals, I think that would be a coup for us, so not sure if realistic, although Tom Garry who is realiable said the job would attract high level candidates, there's also Carla Ward herself of course, but am presuming she' hasn't had a change of mind

It's going to be interesting. We've retained Corsie now and I presume Patten has time left on her contract.

Yet something has to be done about that back line.  It's been more leaky than Old Trafford's roof this season.

Posted (edited)

Patten has two years left on her deal, normally a good player, but in recent times have noticed a few too many passes straight to the oppositon, when normally bringing the ball out from defence is her strength. I imagine we will bring in at least one more central defender, maybe two, depending on whether Turner gets a new deal or not, also might depend on where we use Lucy Parker. Corsie I would have thought will be more of a back-up player next season.

Edited by useless

England U17s have reached the final of the Euros, our U21 leftback Rachel Maltby has started every game so far, and completeld the full ninety minutes in all but one, and then she played 78 minutes

Posted (edited)

This is very, very interesting. From her interview she sounds like she's absolutely done with management for the time being, to keep that relationship going in a less intensive role would be great.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wishywashy said:

This is very, very interesting. From her interview she sounds like she's absolutely done with management for the time being, to keep that relationship going in a less intensive role would be great.

She has great takes on the development/health of the women's game in general, too. She seems very committed to seeing the women's game develop in a positive way that focus on the well-being of players/staff. Could definitely see her working well in a behind-the-scenes role

• Like 1

There had been some speculation that she decided to leave because of lack of support for the women's team, but I think her comments today and if she stays on in some capacity, would contradict that speculation. Monchi and Vidagany being involved is also a good sign

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

I imagine this means Daphne van Domselaar is leaving for Arsenal then? Would be a shame, as I think she’s been very good for us in her first season. Or just to replace Anna Leat maybe? 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

Â