Ran out of petrol...

rsjg80

What do you think?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Your fault completely!
    • Not your fault at all - just one of those things!
    • Eh, wait a second, I see what you're saying....

The other day I was driving to a wedding, I was doing really well and had been fortunate with speed camera and traffic jams so I was getting there a lot quicker than I thought I would when I set off.

Anyway with about a third of my journey still to go the petrol warning light came up but it wasn't a good time to buy fuel as it was expensive, I thought at the speed I was going I could probably get all the way there before I needed to top up. I complained to the missus that the fuel was low but decided to carry on going.

I kept passing all these petrol stations but the cost of it was ridiculous or it was cheap Supermarket fuel when I only like to put Premium in. I kept going and then hit a tiny traffic jam and that ruined the whole journey.

By this time I'd passed all the petrol stations and then the inevitable happened. I ran out of fuel. This cost me a lot in having to have the tank drained fully, refill from scratch and I didn't even get close to my destination. Now a lot of people are saying that's my fault, I should have at least had a splash and dash and then filled up when it I could find my Premium fuel petrol station.

The insurance company agree and are saying I'm solely to blame. But if the right fuel isn't available or I thought I could make it on what fuel I had then surely it wasn't my fault and was just purely an accident? Even if I'd made it the missus thinks it was foolish to even gamble that on getting to such an important event.

What do you think?

Should have stopped mate..........

Or carry a container with a couple of quids worth in it, in the boot for emergencies (I do this as my old motor hasnt got a warning light)

And yes I know its illegal, but I really don't give a fook

Ah Petrol Roulette, my favourite game, its bitten me on the ass a few times but I've never missed a deadline or anything because of it. Recently I ran out of petrol at the top of the hill which had my local petrol station at the bottom, I coasted my way in :)

BTW, you're fault

Your fault i'm afraid especially as you had a petrol warning light blinking at you.

I can remember breaking down on an island in town about 15 years ago ( Paradise circus I think it was ). It was about 4.30pm so I caused chaos with the traffic and I got some lovely comments as I strolled back to my car, petrol can in hand then had to stand there putting the petrol in getting some right dirty looks.

P.S. I should note I can't drive. In fact what I really am writing should be:

The other day I was trying to get Villa into Europe, I was doing really well and had been fortunate with injuries and suspensions etc so I was getting there a lot quicker than I thought I would when I set off.

Anyway with about a third of my season still to go the thought I had a tiny squad came up but it wasn't a good time to buy players as it was expensive, I thought at the rate I was going I could probably get all the way to Europe before I needed to reinforce. I complained to the press that the squad was small but decided to carry on going.

I kept passing all these transfer windows but the cost of it was ridiculous or it was cheap short term solutions when I only like to put Premium in. I kept going and then hit a tiny injury crisis and that ruined the whole campaign.

By this time I'd passed all the transfer windows and then the inevitable happened. I ran out of steam. This cost me a lot in having to attract new players with no carrot and I didn't even get close to Europe. Now a lot of fans are saying that's my fault, I should have at least had a 'splash and dash' and then reinforced when it I could find my Premium players.

The press agree and are saying I'm solely to blame. But if the right player isn't available or I thought I could make it on what team I had then surely it wasn't my fault and was just purely an accident? Even if I'd made it the missus thinks it was foolish to even gamble that on getting to Europe.

What do you think?

If only buying a player was as straightforward as electing to stop at a petrol station then this would be a relevant analogy.

An analogy is used to describe something similar - not exactly the same! Otherwise it is not an analogy but purely talking about what you're talking about. I think this is extremely relevant analogy, whether you agree with its perspective or not...

Or carry a container with a couple of quids worth in it, in the boot for emergencies (I do this as my old motor hasnt got a warning light)

The problem is that in my experience a couple of quid in a can sometimes isnt even enough to get the car started.

If only buying a player was as straightforward as electing to stop at a petrol station then this would be a relevant analogy.

An analogy is used to describe something similar - not exactly the same! Otherwise it is not an analogy but purely talking about what you're talking about. I think this is extremely relevant analogy, whether you agree with its perspective or not...

I've read my post back and I didnt say it had to be the same did I? Only that i think the difference is sufficient enough for it to not be relevant. Sorry.

Fwiw i'm very disappointed by this window. (and quite impressed by the complexity of your analogy!)

edit - which is probably the only time i say that sentence this weekend! :lol:

The problem is that in my experience a couple of quid in a can sometimes isnt even enough to get the car started.

Well its worked for me about 4 times since last August ;-)

I've read my post back and I didnt say it had to be the same did I? Only that i think the difference is sufficient enough for it to not be relevant. Sorry.

Fwiw i'm very disappointed by this window. (and quite impressed by the complexity of your analogy!)

edit - which is probably the only time i say that sentence this weekend! :lol:

LOL - fair enough. I have far too much free time today, that's all!! I did push it further later by suggesting all these other guests had got to the petrol station first and used up all the Premium fuel but I thought that would be getting far too obvious!! I obviously need to do something more constructive today!!!

I think MON has more petrol in his car than you give him credit for ......

and is confident he won't need another refuel until The Summer.

I'm inclined to agree with him

alternatively ......

MON stopped at 2 different petorl stations along the way, and refuelled with both premium juice and standard juice, just in case that the amount he knew he had in the car proved to be insufficient, although he thought it was really enough. Better to be safe than sorry he thouhgt, and filled to the brim with both quality fuel and standard fuel.

BUT: the new fuel didn't seem to work so well in his car, and he'd lost time getting to his destination. The car was heaver, was weighed down by the new fuel, and kept spluttering. It was just far slower than before. It almost stopped completely. The mix wasn't right, and he had wasted time and money and upset the running of his car.

MON then vowed to have more faith in his original belief that he had plenty of fuel to complete the full journey without any need for panic stops along the way. :nod:

How's that? :nod: :mrgreen:

It's your wife's fault for complaining. :nod:

Can't she just trust you on every decision you make?

Surely she could see that you were doing brilliantly until the traffic jam and only the vagaries of the transport infrastructure prevented you from getting to your destination?

You were the best husband she could get and she and her friends and family showed so much joy when she got you.

Are there any other husbands out there who are better?

The hard shoulders are littered with arguing couples who have run out of fuel or whose car has broken down.

Most times the wife is saying, "I told you so."

In your case, your wife would be saying, "You told me so."

alternatively ......

MON stopped at 2 different petorl stations along the way, and refuelled with both premium juice and standard juice, just in case that the amount he knew he had in the car proved to be insufficient, although he thought it was really enough. Better to be safe than sorry he thouhgt, and filled to the brim with both quality fuel and standard fuel.

BUT: the new fuel didn't seem to work so well in his car, and he'd lost time getting to his destination. The car was heaver, was weighed down by the new fuel, and kept spluttering. It was just far slower than before. It almost stopped completely. The mix wasn't right, and he had wasted time and money and upset the running of his car.

MON then vowed to have more faith in his original belief that he had plenty of fuel to complete the full journey without any need for panic stops along the way. :nod:

How's that? :nod: :mrgreen:

A knowing (your sad too) nod to your attempt!! :lol:

Â