Gas explosions in Massachusetts

LakotaDakota

A couple of other noteworthy Mass. stories- Mayor Joe Curtatone of Somerville, first generation Italian-American, just officially announced that his city (historically populated with Italians) will no longer recognize Columbus Day, but instead Indigenous People's Day. Massive gesture. I am really proud of the mayor. I'm Italian-American from that area and I know how much shit is raining down on him right now. 

Also, the former mayor of Somerville and current  fairly progressive US Congressman for that district Mike Capuano, just got ousted in the Dem primary by an African-American woman, Allyana Pressley, who some consider more centrist. Capuano had the support of the Congressional Black Caucus, too. Huge upset in Mass. politics.

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

A couple of other noteworthy Mass. stories- Mayor Joe Curtatone of Somerville, first generation Italian-American, just officially announced that his city (historically populated with Italians) will no longer recognize Columbus Day, but instead Indigenous People's Day. Massive gesture. I am really proud of the mayor. I'm Italian-American from that area and I know how much shit is raining down on him right now.

Good on him!

When I teach US history, I always make debunking the Columbus myth my first order of business. 

Edited by Michelsen

Â