Christian Purslow

villan-scott

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

We can't even agree what day of the week it is! 

As any social media, you have a few here that know what they are talking about, a few that like to arguing the opposite view either it’s right or not, and a few that live in coco land.

6 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

As any social media, you have a few here that know what they are talking about, a few that like to arguing the opposite view either it’s right or not, and a few that live in coco land.

Thanks mate, appreciate it! 

41 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

So what you’re saying is… Purslow might actually not be so bad at making big decisions?

That is probably one of his attributes that his tenure in Liverpool backs up, he is a smart man imo. But what I am trying to say with my comment is that suggestion that he didn't do, not just do a good job, but an outstanding job at Liverpool, is not understanding what his job was at Liverpool or not being able to see the link between the job he did at Liverpool and the footballing success that Liverpool are enjoying.

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

"Purslow, the founder of a private equity firm, was brought in to find a new buyer. Instead many believe he sold the club’s soul."

Did you use that quote to back up the point you are making or did you kindly add it to support the point I am making? 🤣 

How is Liverpool's soul looking since Purslow sold the club to the current owners?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Type in Christian Purslow Liverpool in Google and see how many positive articles are written about him. 

I thought these quotes seem quite relevant. 

Liverpool.com

"Worse, he made the assumption with a club who have idolised and immortalised figures such as Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley, men who brought not only a tenacious ability to win top honours but also a relatable amount of humility and decency to their trade. That the self proclaimed “Fernando Torres of finance” thought this was in any way plausible gives explanation as to why the players renamed him “Forrest Gump”, according to an article published by Tony Evans in The Telegraph earlier this year, apparently due to his desire to be the central figure of all matters."

Joe.ie

"Even still, ending up in Rafa Benitez' black book of enemies is no disgrace; by the end of his time at Liverpool Rafa had taken a lot of names. More damaging was Benitez' accusation - made against nameless "directors" but obviously aimed at Purslow - that his bosses at Liverpool "knew nothing about football. You couldn't talk to them about football."

Independent

"Purslow, the founder of a private equity firm, was brought in to find a new buyer. Instead many believe he sold the club’s soul."

So in the resulting 12 years since he left Liverpool mean nothing and now we are trusting plop fans opinions on someone who most on here wouldn’t be able to describe his full remit. Clutching at straws bringing sound bites from over a decade ago and as pointed out working at a club for sale.

15 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

That is probably one of his attributes that his tenure in Liverpool backs up, he is a smart man imo. But what I am trying to say with my comment is that suggestion that he didn't do, not just a good job, but an outstanding job at Liverpool, is not understanding what his job was at Liverpool or not being able to see the link between the job he did at Liverpool and the footballing success that Liverpool are enjoying.

He got the club sold to good owners. Selling the club was his main objective and he succeeded.

FSG have played a big part in Liverpool’s success but CP hasn’t been involved in that. Purslow was however disappointed when FSG sacked Dalglish:

https://www.tribalfootball.com/index.php/articles/ex-liverpool-chief-purslow-shocked-dalglish-sacking-3180241

While at Liverpool, CP also made some smaller and more football related decisions. He signed a couple of shit players on high wages. He appointed a shit manager. And he tried to interfere with signings even when the new manager was in place:

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2010/dec/11/roy-hodgson-liverpool-nesv

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

He got the club sold to good owners. Selling the club was his main objective and he succeeded.

FSG have played a big part in Liverpool’s success but CP hasn’t been involved in that. Purslow was however disappointed when FSG sacked Dalglish:

https://www.tribalfootball.com/index.php/articles/ex-liverpool-chief-purslow-shocked-dalglish-sacking-3180241

While at Liverpool, CP also made some smaller and more football related decisions. He signed a couple of shit players on high wages. He appointed a shit manager. And he tried to interfere with signings even when the new manager was in place:

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2010/dec/11/roy-hodgson-liverpool-nesv

He signed Hodgson to be a safe pair of hands that would accept not spending money in the transfer market and wouldn't cause any trouble during the sale of the club. Emotional fans may call that shit, smart business people would call it astute. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

He signed Hodgson to be a safe pair of hands that would accept not spending money in the transfer market and wouldn't cause any trouble during the sale of the club. Emotional fans may call that shit, smart business people would call it astute. 

Hodgson was given a 3 year contract by CP, but sacked by FSG after being at the club for 6 months. Some expensive safe hands.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Hodgson was given a 3 year contract by CP, but sacked by FSG after being at the club for 6 months. Some expensive safe hands.

And FSG didn't want a safe pair of hands as they wanted to improve the football and bring the club forward from a footballing perspective. CP wanted to sell the club

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

Did you use that quote to back up the point you are making or did you kindly add it to support the point I am making? 🤣 

How is Liverpool's soul looking since Purslow sold the club to the current owners?

The point I'm making is that he wasn't viewed as the success you seem to make out. Like I said, type in Google and see how many positive articles come out. 

And whilst you keep mentioning his remit was to sell the club, that's the business side of things, whereas quite clearly he is heavily involved in the football side of things here. So not sure that means much. 

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

So in the resulting 12 years since he left Liverpool mean nothing and now we are trusting plop fans opinions on someone who most on here wouldn’t be able to describe his full remit. Clutching at straws bringing sound bites from over a decade ago and as pointed out working at a club for sale.

Clutching at straws? 

This was in response to someone claiming he was a success at Liverpool. I think I'd trust Liverpool fans and the reporting of his time there over a villa fan on VT who leaps to defend every aspect of the club in every single post. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

The point I'm making is that he wasn't viewed as the success you seem to make out. Like I said, type in Google and see how many positive articles come out. 

And whilst you keep mentioning his remit was to sell the club, that's the business side of things, whereas quite clearly he is heavily involved in the football side of things here. So not sure that means much. 

That's because the comments are from people that were judging success as success on the football pitch. He probably didn't care what happened on the pitch, his job was to sell the club which he did. And the sale could not have worked out much better for Liverpool

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Clutching at straws? 

This was in response to someone claiming he was a success at Liverpool. I think I'd trust Liverpool fans and the reporting of his time there over a villa fan on VT who leaps to defend every aspect of the club in every single post. 

It is not clutching at straws. You clearly don't understand what his objective at Liverpool was, yet you even posted it in a comment above. He was brought into Liverpool to sell the club. That was his objective and focus

Look at guardian article above 

"Roy Hodgson has revealed Christian Purslow, Liverpool's former managing director, handed him a list of players to sell in the summer and believes the team's recent improvement stems from his decision to ignore the businessman's advice."

Yep, sounds just like a yes man brought in to never disagree with Purslow. 

😂😂

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

It is not clutching at straws. You clearly don't understand what his objective at Liverpool was, yet you even posted it in a comment above. He was brought into Liverpool to sell the club. That was his objective and focus

So such a clear and obvious success that only the odd villa fan sees it. Strange. 

You make a lot of assumptions about why he hired Hodgson and that he probably didn't care about what happened on the pitch. 

But then you just dismiss any Liverpool fan or journalist writing negative about it as being emotional and not getting it. 

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think the whole footballing world would see Purslow's sale of Liverpool as a huge success. 

But if everyone knew that was his remit. And e everyone viewed the end game as a huge success, why so much criticism for what he did to achieve it? 

Why that safe pair of hands for a manager telling the press he was right to ignore Purslow getting involved in football business?

Why all the criticism? Why hated by the fans?

Just now, DCJonah said:

But if everyone knew that was his remit. And e everyone viewed the end game as a huge success, why so much criticism for what he did to achieve it? 

Why that safe pair of hands for a manager telling the press he was right to ignore Purslow getting involved in football business?

Why all the criticism? Why hated by the fans?

I doubt he was trying to make friends at Liverpool and I also understand why we would want players sold while trying to sell the club. But this discussion is a bit crazy, it is not talking about hypothetical, we have the benefit of hindsight to see what happened. Purslow was employed to sell the club. He sold the club. Liverpool has gone on to have amazing success under the new owners. That is a success, it could not have worked out much better. Dragging up comments from fans who wanted to see Liverpool competing on the pitch while Purslow was there or ex staff is completely irrelevant. 

• Haha 2

Â