UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

• 4 weeks later...

UFC 104 time!

Machida will beat Rua but it will be a good fight.

Tough first fight in the UFC for Rothwell, Velasquez is a top 5 heavywheight at least. I'm not calling this one, it's close.

"Rumble" Johnson is always entertaining, I think he'll take Yoshida out.

Yushin Okami is 8 and 1 in the ufc and the only loss is to Franklin. Tough time ending up in the preliminary card with that record. That said, he's been rather non entertaining.

Main card

* Light Heavyweight Championship bout: Lyoto Machida © vs. Mauricio Rua

* Heavyweight bout: Cain Velasquez vs. Ben Rothwell

* Lightweight bout: Gleison Tibau vs. Josh Neer

* Lightweight bout: Joe Stevenson vs. Spencer Fisher

* Welterweight bout: Anthony Johnson vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida

Spike TV card

* Light Heavyweight bout: Ryan Bader vs. Eric Schafer

* Heavyweight bout: Antoni Hardonk vs. Patrick Barry

Preliminary card

* Middleweight bout: Yushin Okami vs. Chael Sonnen

* Middleweight bout: Jorge Rivera vs. Rob Kimmons

* Light Heavyweight bout: Kyle Kingsbury vs. Razak Al-Hassan

* Heavyweight bout: Stefan Struve vs. Chase Gormley

It's on now. I predict Machida (too much craft for a non *coughs* supplemented Shogun), Velasquez (pure athlete, young, hungry and skilled in every area), Neer (This will probably be a non event but Neer should win), Stevenson (very thick yet quite skilled, think Rooney) and Johnson (weighed in miles over weight, is a 205er naturally and would be too good anyway).

Man, Shogun got **** by those judges. What a joke of a decision. I'm a massive Machida fan, I love his style but he didn't do enough to justify a unanimous decision. He only really had Shogun in trouble once, and even then he was caught with a good counter.

Having said that, I can understand to some extent why the judges didn't give the fight to Shogun. Shogun fought for the decision from round one and never looked like getting a KO. Kicks to the body and legs are great as part of a fight strategy but they were his entire strategy. He could have been a bit more aggressive and gone for the jugular, Machida was shot after the 3rd round.

Still, very harsh,. I expect to see a rematch.

Just got round to watching it.

Shogun got screwed. I'd say he arguably won all 5 rounds. The third was theh only one won by Machida in my eyes but even that was debatable.

Ridiculous decision, Rua won by a mile.

I think Machida won 2 and 3. The reason Shogun didn't get the decision could have been down to his negative tactics, giving Octagon control to Machida. Also leg kicks are unspectacular so judges may not score them too highly.

All things considered though, Shogun deserves an immediate rematch at the very least.

'granville', you are correct Machida controlled the pace of the fight to suit his style.

Some of you do not seem to understand the concept of the challenger having to beat the champion. :winkold:

Was Machida ever in severe trouble? No, apart from the leg kicks Shogun hit him once in the face. In contrast Machida answered practically every leg kick with a straight lead left to the face and on many occasions actually retaliating with a 1-2 combo.

There were two occasions where Machida actually had Shogun in trouble covering up on the fence; Shogun never once went for Machida. Machida had his gameplan which was founded upon elusiveness and not recklessness like the majority of many other pro-fights. Shogun was very reserved because he knew of Machida's countering strengths, if Shogun had over-comitted then he would have got knoocked out!

A very interesting night of fighting. I also thought Rua did enough to win and I'm a massive Machida nut hugger! Thank god for the quote below. A very undecided title as of now.

Dana White admitted that he believed Shogun had outscored Machida in the 1st, 4th, and 5th round, winning the fight. A Fightmetric analysis of the fight indicated that Rua had been more aggressive, landed more blows to the head and legs than Machida, and had overall controlled the pace of the fight. At the post fight conference, Dana White confirmed that he had scheduled an "immediate rematch" to be held at an unannounced date.

Velasquez really showed his potential. Rothwell is no can by any means.

Stevenson was also impressive in the way he handled Fisher but that cut really was a factor.

Struves submission was also nice.

Fight of the night and KO of the night was never shown in Hardonk vs Barry. I'll have to find that one somewhere.

Fight of the night and KO of the night was never shown in Hardonk vs Barry. I'll have to find that one somewhere.

It was shown live in the prelims! It was a cracker, Barry had an amazing night and then burst into tears.

Ah, I only got the PPV. Ah well, google is my friend ;-)

Â