Any body know anything about boilers? problem with high pressure

leemond2008

since we are coming into the cold season I thought I'd check the pressure on my boiler, for some unknown reason it is showing at 3 bars, it should only be around 1.

I've been using the heating a little bit and haven't had any problems but 3 bars is way to high, I have bled the radiators and that has made little difference, I've checked the valve under the sink and that is firmly off.

Anyone got any ideas, is there an easy fix or should I just get in touch with my landlord.

When I was bleeding the radiators it was just a constant jet, I was expecting it to die down as the pressure dropped but it didn't and the pressure didn't drop, I filled about three jugs of water from it.

I don't have a clue with this sort of stuff so any help will be much appreciated.

Get on to your landlord and get someone out.

I do remember the combi boiler at my mother's having a similar thing (it was just over 2 bar, I think). There was some sort of valve (like a screw that could be loosened or tightened) just below the actual boiler that allowed you to lower the pressure but it's a while since I/we did it and I guess they're all different and I'm no plumber/gas bloke.

Contact your landlord for certain. My tenants did with similar and I was happy to get someone in to sort it, most will be an it will likely be inexpensive. 

At the end of the day aside Tom any decent landlord not wanting their remnants to freeze they should want to keep you happy. Plus no landlord wants the boiler to blow or pipes freeze.

Also it ain’t your problem.

I think there must be a valve open. When the pressure is low, there is generally 2 valves near the boiler which can be opened to top up the system. This suggests to me that one of the 2 valves is open and is constantly topping the system up. I know in my house one valve had a knob to turn, but the other needed a screwdriver to turn it, kitchen knife would do it as well

8 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Landlord is gunna call me after 4, he can sort it out.

I'm not competent with this sort of stuff at all.

Did the engineer say anything at your last annual gas safety check?

22 minutes ago, limpid said:

Did the engineer say anything at your last annual gas safety check?

I've not been in there for 12 months yet so I've not had a check since I've been in the property.

It would have been due a check in the next month or two.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I've not been in there for 12 months yet so I've not had a check since I've been in the property.

It would have been due a check in the next month or two.

It'll be a small thing, as has been said, on boilers (combi/condensing etc) there are screws or little valves which can be opened up to let pressure in, it'll most likely be turning them off, or tightening them up which will stop it building pressure. 

If it was your house, you could google it, but as it's a LL, let them do it as you might void something in your lease agreement (tampering etc). 

• Like 1

Â