The Apple Thread

Stevo985

2 hours ago, av1 said:

This might be a silly question, but I’m still relatively new to Apple and I seem to be getting conflicting answers online. 

I’ve just popped to the pub and noticed my phone battery is dying, but my watch is practically full. My watch doesn’t have it’s own data and relies on my phone for connection. So does that mean I can’t use Apple Pay with my watch if my phone dies? 

This is not specific to Apple.

No, there is no handshake when you pay contactless. Otherwise it wouldn't work if your phone was out of coverage.

• 10 months later...

I’ve ordered a new, but slightly old phone.

I had a brief return into the Android market with the Google Pixel 8 and didn’t get on with it. Great phone, just not for me.

Looking for a newer higher spec than my current iPhone 12 I learned that in many people’s views the 13 Pro was the peak, and that the 14 and 15 barely bring anything new despite its being more expensive.

I’ve ordered a Grade A, opened box but unused 13 pro from a reputable seller (cheapest_electrical) on eBay and it’ll arrive later today. I’m looking forward to getting it all set up. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Genie said:

I’ve ordered a new, but slightly old phone.

I had a brief return into the Android market with the Google Pixel 8 and didn’t get on with it. Great phone, just not for me.

Looking for a newer higher spec than my current iPhone 12 I learned that in many people’s views the 13 Pro was the peak, and that the 14 and 15 barely bring anything new despite its being more expensive.

I’ve ordered a Grade A, opened box but unused 13 pro from a reputable seller (cheapest_electrical) on eBay and it’ll arrive later today. I’m looking forward to getting it all set up. 

iSheep, Apple fanboi, etc ;) 

I'm still using a refurbed 8. Does the job. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Xela said:

iSheep, Apple fanboi, etc ;) 

I'm still using a refurbed 8. Does the job. 

I have it mostly setup now. It’s surprising just how much newer the phone feels with sharper, brighter screen, 120Hz refresh etc. 
I made the right decision with that eBay seller, it was listed as B+ condition but it came sealed in its origin box, 100% new item. Full 12 month apple warranty available.

£395, and I should get over £200 back from selling my current handset.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

Not the Pixel 8? They're £700 brand new, so you should be able to get more than £200, especially if you've barely used it.

I bought the pixel 8 a few months ago and then sold it again a week later for pretty much what I paid. I stayed with my iPhone 12.

I actually bought and sold the new Pixel 8 for about £440. 

Now I have the 13 pro I can sell my 12 for £240. I just dropped it off at the post office actually.

• Like 1

On 14/05/2024 at 11:33, Genie said:

I just dropped it off at the post office actually.

Phone has been at the Warrington sorting office for 2 days now 😐

I used the companies pre-paid Royal Mail label, I hope it covers the value of the phone if it never emerges 

My 15 year old, maybe more, iPod decided (or my computer decided) that it needed its software restored. Possibly due to the age of the iPod, possibly due to the latest Apple computer OS update, who knows. But it's taken me nearly 4 hours so far to try and get it sorted. Multiple attempts on the Mac, all failed with an unknown error

Screenshot.jpg

So I connected it to a win PC and managed to restore its software on that. SO now it would at least be recognised as a an iPod, not a corrupted external drive. Back to the Mac. Reformat the iPod to the Mac format (from Windows Fat32) and after 3 attempts, the Music sapp can now see it as an iPod that needs its software restored. Click restore and....it's just sat there, taking ages.

Screenshot 1.jpg

I mean it's good that a 15 year old iPod is still working (or was) and it's good that it's still compatible with modern computers, but FFS...

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, blandy said:

My 15 year old, maybe more, iPod decided (or my computer decided) that it needed its software restored. Possibly due to the age of the iPod, possibly due to the latest Apple computer OS update, who knows. But it's taken me nearly 4 hours so far to try and get it sorted. Multiple attempts on the Mac, all failed with an unknown error

Screenshot.jpg

So I connected it to a win PC and managed to restore its software on that. SO now it would at least be recognised as a an iPod, not a corrupted external drive. Back to the Mac. Reformat the iPod to the Mac format (from Windows Fat32) and after 3 attempts, the Music sapp can now see it as an iPod that needs its software restored. Click restore and....it's just sat there, taking ages.

Screenshot 1.jpg

I mean it's good that a 15 year old iPod is still working (or was) and it's good that it's still compatible with modern computers, but FFS...

That reminds me of a few years back, I bought both children an iPhone 6s as a present. Got it all set up and everything ready for them to open several weeks before the big day.

The problem was for the life of me I couldn’t remember the pin locks I setup on either phone. After a few failed attempts they lock for hours. 

I wasn’t very popular.

Had to connect them to iTunes to reset them but had all sorts of hurdles like updating the software on the phones, updating the software on the laptop. Absolute nightmare. Took **** hours.

• Like 1

Â