Gran Turismo Sport

Straggler

I’m up to B now. 

I think you just improve it by doing well in the daily races. That’s basically all I do on the game so it must work :) 

And by do well I mean just aim to finish above your starting position. Like I said before I’m still yet to win a race. So that doesn’t come into it (although I’m sure if you win a race your rating goes up even more).

i don’t think I’m particularly good. I’m just fairly consistent and pretty clean. If you can acoid crashes and put consistent lap times in you’ll make up positions just by other people crashing.

oh I also read that it’s linked to your SR in some way. So you can’t be a level A if your SR is less than a B (or something like that). So race clean!

Edited by Stevo985

Finding it very frustrating now.

I'm up to DR B. Which is great, but everybody else is much better, obviously. So I'm back down in that middle pack of racers. Not good enough to be one of the 2 or 3 drivers who pull out into the lead, and not bad enough to be at the back.

So I'm in that middle pack where it's constant battles, and rarely clean. 

There's no waiting for the right opportunity to pass, people will just barge their way through whenever they get close to you. Damaging your SR. Which in turn means you have to do the same when you get close to anyone, because if you slow down to wait for the right opportunity, then you can bet the guy behind you will do it to you.

I'm flitting between a B and C SR, despite me getting up to S before. As hard as I try to do a clean race, I find it almost impossible. Even if I don't do anything dirty, you can guarantee a few people will barge into you, which is enough to send your SR down.

ARGH! The **** SR system. 

It must get stricter as you get a higher Driver Rating. I did a good 10 lap race last night, seemed so clean yet my SR didn't improve. Thought that was weird so jumped into another daily race around Brands Hatch.

4 laps. I joined late so only got one practice lap in, so I started from last place.

I basically did nothing. And I actually counted how many times I did anything "dirty". It was 3. No cuts, no penalties. I made contact with the car in front 3 times, and two of those the contact was so light I didn't actually know I'd made contact until the red SR symbol came up, so it was incredibly minor contact.

Race finishes, SR has gone from B to C.

word removed!

They class any contact as bad sportsmanship, even if it's innocuous or not your fault. I think the only time you don't get penalised is if it's really really obvious, like someone completely punting you off the track.

It must just be really strict as you get a higher DR. I got to an S SR no problem when I was at a crap DR.

I honestly can't see how people race completely clean when you're in that middle pack of cars. Even if you do nothing wrong, you're bound to have someone bang into you, which is enough to get marked down.

The SR system is definitely a good thing, but it really needs some fine tuning. Even the penalties for cutting, which again are obviously a good thing, can be crazy. 

On Mount Panarama, which is a really good circuit, there's a really technical section on the far end of the course. It's fast and narrow, but completely surrounded by walls. So it's impossible to cut a corner. I got it a bit wrong in a race yesterday and rammed into the wall on the inside of a corner. Completely **** me over, lost about 10 seconds. 
And it gave me a 10 second penalty! Presumably for cutting, which is impossible. Crazy!

On a positive note, the Mt Panorama daily race yesterday was really good.

The fuel usage was turned up so much that it was actually a two stopper if you went full power.

I made up about 5 places at the end of the race because I wised up to it and turned my fuel mix down to save enough fuel for the last lap, whereas half the field had to dive in for a splash and dash.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Why does your SR go down if you get hit?

I've asked myself this many times!

My guess is the game isn't clever enough to distinguish who was at fault. So it goes down as a bad mark against both drivers.

It's not always like that. If someone absolutely punts you off the track, you don't get penalised. But for general racing incidents, if you're side by side for example and you make contact, you both get penalised.

Don't get me wrong, it is definitely a good thing. It really encourages clean racing. It can just be frustrating at times. You have to be so careful.

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've asked myself this many times!

My guess is the game isn't clever enough to distinguish who was at fault. So it goes down as a bad mark against both drivers.

It's not always like that. If someone absolutely punts you off the track, you don't get penalised. But for general racing incidents, if you're side by side for example and you make contact, you both get penalised.

Don't get me wrong, it is definitely a good thing. It really encourages clean racing. It can just be frustrating at times. You have to be so careful.

what happens if the rating goes down too much? 

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

what happens if the rating goes down too much? 

The main thing is you get matched in the Daily Races with other racers of the same SR rating. So if you race dirty, you get put in with other dirty racers.
The cleaner you get, the cleaner the races.

It seems to work pretty well, it just makes it tricky to get out of the lower ratings because if you're surrounded by rammers it's very hard to avoid contact.

I also THINK, but I'm not sure, that your Driver Rating is linked to your SR in some way. I've seen on Reddit people suggesting that you can't become an A rated driver with a Sportsmanship Rating below B, for example.

Right, I've gone to the length of uploading a video of a race to show how **** frustrating this system is.

This is a dirty race. As in my SR goes down as a result of this race, as evidenced by the red C at the very end. But someone watch this and tell me how you can consider this to be dirty!

I realise I miss the first lap and a half (Only saves 15 minutes) where I might have gone on a rampage but I promise you I didn't. At the most in the first lap and a bit there was one bit of contact, but very minor. 

FYI I started 17th. This isn't an amazing race, mainly because the Veyron is like a **** boat, and nothing terribly exciting happens in this video, which is kind of the point :D But it's a good example of how just racing consistently will gain you plenty of places as other people just crash around you!

The 5 second penalty at around 5:08 is particularly annoying. I couldn't even tell that I'd touched him. Annoying!

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Loved the Tokyo Speedway Daily Race yesterday. That track is cool. The mammoth straight makes things really interesting (although it does restrict you to a handful of cars given the obvious advantage for cars with better top end speed)

The first lap is carnage given there's no run off areas, but if you survive that it's a really cool track.

Tactical pit stopping worked a treat as well. I was diving into the pits a lap early and then making sure I put in a killer outlap. Leapfrogged about 4 places doing that.

Got a 3rd place finish from 11th on the grid which was good.

I really need to put more time into qualifying. I often find in the races that I'm competitive. In that race I finished closer to the leader than I was at the start of the race (finished 7 seconds behind and you end up about 10 seconds behind at the start because of the rolling start). but because I don't put much time into qualifying I often start way down the grid. I need to WIN!

Edited by Stevo985

Â