Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

On 08/01/2023 at 11:06, chrisp65 said:

There is part of me that would be genuinely fascinated to go along to this.

spacer.png

I’ve noticed the last time I’ve gone through Monmouth there were a few ‘NO2NATO’ stickers, then last week, a sign stuck above the tunnel.

Didn’t have Monmouth down as the birthplace of the revolution, but there you go.

The venue has cancelled the event and returned the booking fee.  Galloway is mouthing off about suing them for his expenses.   He is literally threatening to a church with legal action. 

• Haha 1

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

3 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Ceausescu, Hoxha, Salazar, Milosevic, Duvalier, Mobarak, Gaddafi, Hussein, Pol Pot, Idi Amin etc ring a bell?

Or alternatively 1917 in Russia, which specifically overthrew a dictator-like Tzar?

It's not far-fetched for Russia to end up in a revolution, I just think it'll take much more than it would in i.e Romania due to the Russian population being treated like dirt as a way of life for decades.

• Ceausescu - in power 24 years
  • Hoxha - 41 years
  • Salazar - 36 years
  • Milosevic - wasn't exactly a spontaneous internal revolution, given Nato involvement inside Serbia's borders
  • Duvalier - the dynasty lasted 29 years
  • Mubarak - 30 years
  • Gaddafi - 42 years
  • Hussein - 24 years (and as per Milosevic...)
  • Pol Pot - brought down by the Vietnamese, not by his own citizens
  • Idi Amin - brought down by a military coup

Popular revolutions and coups happen, but they're relatively rare, and once a dictator is dug in, he can weather all kinds of storms which look completely intolerable to outside observers.

Putin's been in power for 23 years. I think he could go in the next 5 years, but it will need some kind of catalysing event beyond just the Ukraine situation. Probably a military coup of some sort. Or foreign intervention, but that seems so unlikely given the nuclear situation.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KentVillan said:
  • Ceausescu - in power 24 years
  • Hoxha - 41 years
  • Salazar - 36 years
  • Milosevic - wasn't exactly a spontaneous internal revolution, given Nato involvement inside Serbia's borders
  • Duvalier - the dynasty lasted 29 years
  • Mubarak - 30 years
  • Gaddafi - 42 years
  • Hussein - 24 years (and as per Milosevic...)
  • Pol Pot - brought down by the Vietnamese, not by his own citizens
  • Idi Amin - brought down by a military coup

Popular revolutions and coups happen, but they're relatively rare, and once a dictator is dug in, he can weather all kinds of storms which look completely intolerable to outside observers.

Putin's been in power for 23 years. I think he could go in the next 5 years, but it will need some kind of catalysing event beyond just the Ukraine situation. Probably a military coup of some sort. Or foreign intervention, but that seems so unlikely given the nuclear situation.

Agreed, but many on that list did start facing severe trouble at around 23 years where Putin is now, and that was without a war which is costing several 100ks worth of men apart from Hussein and Milosevic.

The point was that dictators do get overthrown fairly often. At least when there's outside factors like NATO equipping a brilliant fighting force with good weaponry (see Milosevic - Croatia\Bosnia receiving NATO equipment).

Bear in mind that Afghanistan was one of (many) reasons for the Soviet Union's collapse.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

The venue has cancelled the event and returned the booking fee.  Galloway is mouthing off about suing them for his expenses.   He is literally threatening to a church with legal action. 

Did that happen at this venue too? I know it happened at the original Manchester venue on the Putin Shill UK Tour

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

UK considering supplying CHallenger 2 tanks to Ukraine according to Sky News

Hopefully. It's miles better than anything Russia has, but I presume it's ones not under the "LEP" programme, meaning older v2's.

It could spur on the Leo2 discussion too.

55 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

He's such a rat  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, magnkarl said:

It's at least good that these Pro-Putin shills put together posters for our authorities of who's worst, in ranking order. I mean, Mick Wallace? Really? Putin must've run out of cash.

2 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Did that happen at this venue too? I know it happened at the original Manchester venue on the Putin Shill UK Tour

I picked up the poster from an account advertising that the church venue was on twitter and perhaps what had to be done, was for everyone to tweet the church with the CV’s of the various speakers.

I guess sufficient people tweeted the church. I suspect they simply didn’t have the insurance to potentially be the next Cable Street.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Really good article from Illia Ponomerenko a defense and security reporter at the Kyiv Independent. He's also a Donbas native. 

It's quite a long article and I've only posted half of it. The link is for anyone that is interested in reading the rest. Well worth the read for a few minutes and gives a good account of the situation in Bakhmut. 

As Battle of Bakhmut nears culmination, Ukraine’s artillery gasps for more ammo (kyivindependent.com)

BAKHMUT, Donetsk Oblast — It’s the last days of December and the heat of the holiday season. But an artillery battalion with Ukraine’s 24th Mechanized Infantry just couldn’t care less. 

For them, it’s like Groundhog Day – just another day of war that keeps repeating over and over. From their place in an abandoned village in Donetsk Oblast, they support Ukrainian infantry repelling Russian frontal attacks in Bakhmut. The site of the most grueling battle of Russia’s war in Ukraine so far, Bakhmut has been drawing comparisons with World War I’s deadly Battle of Verdun.  A 122-millimeter 2S1 self-propelled howitzer Gvozdika is waiting in the bushes, the dry grass around it charred after the gun’s multiple shots on the spot.   The gun is on standby. The artillerymen are in an abandoned house nearby, where they try to keep close to the cellar. The radio buzzes: A warning comes that Russians counter-shot some of this battery’s guns this morning, “so you guys better watch out.” 

Edited by limpid
reduced extract and quoted

Â