The Aintree Festival / Grand National 2017

Brumerican

Thursday looks like a belter and Apples Jade can be had at 5/1 in the 3.25 . She's placing at the very least .

As for the National , I have no idea other than Cause of Causes .

Tips etc ...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The thing  I've learnt about the national these days is that it's mostly anyone's race. It's a lot easier than it used to be for the horses but it seems harder to pinpoint a winner.

Compressing the weights makes things a bit easier for the better horses and the fances have been altered to make them safer too so there are less fallers. I fancy Blaklion for it this year, did well in the national trial over the same fences and is a cheltenham winner. 14/1 looks nice to me.

There are a lot of very well handicapped horses in this year's National. A couple that really stand out for me are Thunder and Roses and, Measureofmydreams. Both Irish horses that are owned by the Gigginstown Stud, the owners of last years Cheltenham Gold Cup and Aintree Grand National winners.

Gigginstown's owner has recently had damning words to say about the British handicapper and, as a result, withdrew half of his declared runners due to them being unfairly handicapped, in his opinion. However, I think that the horses he left in can be treated as tips in themselves because the owner obviously must think they have been fairly treated by the handicapper.

Measureofmydreams was 3rd, beaten around 6 lengths off level weights, by Minella Rocco and Native River at last year's Cheltenham Festival over 4 miles. He was ridden by a lady jockey, albeit a good one in Katie Walsh, that day. Minella Rocco went on to be a fast-finishing second in this year's Cheltenham Gold Cup with Native River a close third. That is great form for Measureofmydreams! To put it into perspective, after finishing second in the Gold Cup, Minella Rocco was installed as ante post favourite for the National and would have had to concede weight to Measureofmydreams, a horse it beat only 6 lengths off level weights just 12 months earlier. With Minella Rocco missing the race it has to leave Measureofmydreams with great place claims at a big price!

Thunder and Roses won the Irish National 2 years ago, again ridden by Katie Walsh, and beat Rule The World off level weights. Rule the World went on to win last year's Aintree Grand National off 2lb higher than Thunder and Roses will carry this year. That has to give Thunder and Roses a great chance on form off a lightweight of just 10st 7lb.

Other well handicapped horses are Vicente, carrying the same weight that he carried to victory in last year's Scottish National. Houblon Des Obeaux, who finished a staying-on 4th to One For Arthur in the mud at Warwick over 3m 5f. Houblon Des Obeaux got beaten 19 lengths that day but is now better off at the weights and was staying on all the way to the line and the extra distance looks ideal for that horse, although it does appear to need soft ground, as does One For Arthur, who would be another horse with a great chance given his apparent liking for extreme distances. The Young Master is another horse who looks to have a great chance. He won a big race at Sandown over 3m 5f with a good field behind him, including a few of the other National runners.

Finally, 2 years ago, Many Clouds - the best horse to win the National for many years IMO - finished 6th beaten around 20 lengths in the Cheltenham Gold Cup and went on to carry the highest weight  to victory (11st 9lb) since Red Rum's days. Saphir De Rheu finished 5th in this year's Cheltenham Gold Cup and was staying on at the end. He is weighted around 5lb lower than the weight Many Clouds carried to victory and must have a chance if taking to the National fences. More of that is also well fancied after finishing 6th in this year's Gold Cup but, for me, Saphir De Rheu just edges it out of those two.

I'll be backing to win and place Thunder and Roses, Measureofmydreams and Houblon Des Obeaux at bigger prices on Betfair Exchanges and will probably throw in a few win bets on the other highlighted, lower priced, horses too.

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 1

Usually Thursday most always has the better class of horses racing. 

This year is the first time I've had a proper bet on the National, Since I've got more into racing over the years I think the National is the only race I never put my hard earned cash on out of the thousands of races each year. 

I sometimes pick 4 selections for the crack and have x24 Reverse Tricasts and x12 Reverse Forcasts since I had the first 4 as singles when Numbersixvalverde won it about 10/12 years ago. 

Horse ive been following in Ireland Stellar Notion,  Ive been backing it since around February as big as 80/1 and also at 66/1 NRNB (6 places) so hopefully it will turn out like Sizing John did for me in The Gold Cup at 66/1. 

This years Tricasts/Forcast Horses

Cause Of Causes

More Of That

One For Arthur 

Definitly Red. 

On a side note, Ryan Moores 4th ride on Saturday done me out of a small island.

Still can't grumble 1-1-1-2 all in multiples at AM prices :D

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The thing  I've learnt about the national these days is that it's mostly anyone's race. It's a lot easier than it used to be for the horses but it seems harder to pinpoint a winner.

Mate stick a bent fork in the card and never let the price put you off :D

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Mate stick a bent fork in the card and never let the price put you off :D

I pretty much discount every horse that is lower than 20/1. 

Then I throw the darts !:D

• Like 1

The National is a quality race these days with very few nags getting in the way. That's down to the fact they have shortened the distance and the fence heights. I had followed Rule The World early in its career and was bigging it up for one of the Cheltenham Festival novice hurdles about 4 years ago but it didn't win. I then lost track of it and suddenly it pops up and wins the bloody National 2016 at 33/1 - typical!

I have recently noticed a pattern where horses that run in big graded races do well when dropping down the grades into handicaps. A great example of this was Arctic Fire at the Cheltenham Fesitval. It was placed in the 2015 Champion Hurdle behind the great Faugheen and carried top weight in a handicap at the Festival. I was on at 25/1 and it came in for me. Many Clouds won the 2015 National after finishing 6th in that year's Gold Cup. That gives Saphir De Rheu and More Of That great chances on paper for Saturday's National.

How's about a horse that absolutely loves good ground? If the rain stays away and the ground is good on Saturday, a great each way shout is Lord Windermere. It won the Gold Cup 3 years ago and done very little since but has been lightly raced to be fair. It pulled up in last year's National but the ground was soft and far from his liking plus, he carried a stone more in weight in last year's race than he will carry this year and must have an each way shout if the ground continues to dry out, its odds are currently around 50/1. Don't be put off by it being 11 years old either. Vics Canvas was third last year as a 13 year old and Pineau De Re won it as an 11 year old, I believe. Neither of those horses are anywhere near the same class as Lord Windermere either!

Edited by villarocker

23 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Thursday looks like a belter and Apples Jade can be had at 5/1 in the 3.25 . She's placing at the very least .

I've backed AJ at 10/1 with SB and PP for the Liverpool Hurdle on Saturday but have a feeling they will keep it for Punchestown at the end on the month. 

Also backed Yorkist at 20/1 with 365 for the red rum chase on Thursday

The above also in ew multiples with Stellar Notion for the GN.

Edited by Kingman

Also had a lill tickle on Rashaan at 33/1 in the 3.25... Been running well in Ireland over the winter and will like the ground... Beat Apples Jade on penultimate start!.. 

• Like 1

On 04/04/2017 at 19:08, Kingman said:

I've backed AJ at 10/1 with SB and PP for the Liverpool Hurdle on Saturday but have a feeling they will keep it for Punchestown at the end on the month. 

Also backed Yorkist at 20/1 with 365 for the red rum chase on Thursday

The above also in ew multiples with Stellar Notion for the GN.

Yanworth @7/4 or Apples @ 10/1

No brainer !

2 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Yanworth @7/4 or Apples @ 10/1

No brainer !

Still Ante post mate so be mindfull of it not making the final decs. 

Will be announced around lunchtime but will be around 4/1 if confirmed runner. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, guyavfc said:

Anyone get a winner today? I didn't do too well. I'll have a little go tomorrow, but will save most of the pennies for Saturday because I'm going.

No winner's just an EW Double with Cloudy Dream and Yorkist with the above selections. 

Also had Yorkist in EW single so not to bad.

AJ is a N/R so will have it bounding on Yorkist and Steller Notion. 

Edited by Kingman

Â