The Canaries

StefanAVFC

Just got back from another wonderful week in Gran Canaria.

Which islands have people been to? Where do you keep going back to? Where should you go? Where should you avoid?

We go to the same place every year (7 times now I think)

A fishing town/village called Puerto De Mogan on the south-west coast of Gran Canaria. Amazing little town, micro-climate so you're guaranteed the weather. I prefer my winter breaks to the summer one now!

I have done both Tenerife and Lanzarote a few times since the mid 80’s. A place called Costa del Silencio in Tenerife the last time being 1991 which is quite a small place around 20 miles from the livelier areas of Las Americas. Done Puerto Del Carmen on Lanzarote a couple of times which has a bit of everything and am actually going back to Lanzarote this year for a couple of weeks.

I find in the Canaries the Spanish seem a lot more friendly than on the main land or the Balearics. I love the Greek Islands and we have tried to go to one at least once a year as find the Greeks really accommodating and welcoming but also love the Canaries especially as you say for a bit of winter sun relatively close.  

Went Fuerteventura a few years back and really enjoyed it.

Heading to Lanzorote with the folks in a couple of weeks time. Haven't been away wth them for years, but so desperate for a break and some sun and they kindly offered to pay. Any recommendations? Been told about el diablo restaurant where the food is cooked from the volcano heat 

Sailed round Gran Canaria for a week a few years ago. I saw little of the place that would encourage me to go back and stay on dry land.

I also got the trots from snorkelling too close to a previously unspotted outflow pipe so that might have some bearing on my feelings for the place.

Had a week in Lanzarote a couple of years back. As mentioned you're guaranteed the weather, which was terrific all week (at the end of Sept), although towards the end of the week the sands from the Sahara blew over which acts as kind of a blanket keeping the heat in. Stifling.

I didn't eat at El Diablo, but did visit in the day as part of an 'island in one day' tour type thing. Timanfaya, Yaiza, Costa Teguise, Teguise, Jameos del Agua, Cuevo de los Verdes, are all worth seeing/visiting, plus the cave thing that produces unique waves on the coast - the name of which I can't remember. Can't even remember what it was near actually...

I would have liked to visit the small island the north, we ran out of time in the end. I also enjoyed the digs that the locals made at any opportunity to put down Tenerife. They really seemed to have a burning hatred for it.

• 5 years later...
Â