Fan 'pushed over by police'

BOF

Birmingham City v Aston Villa: Fan 'pushed over by police'

Click the link above to see the video, as it won't embed in here ...

A video appearing to show police officers pushing a football fan to the floor is being investigated.

The footage was recorded as fans walked home from a Championship clash between Aston Villa and Birmingham City on Sunday.

Reiss Mahon said his father Rodney was set upon by officers "without provocation".

West Midlands Police said it would take action if officers had acted inappropriately.

Birmingham City fan Mr Mahon, said he was walking "calmly" with his father and brother Callum on a footpath near City's St Andrew's ground when it happened.

"I have never seen anything like it in my life," said the 22-year-old, from Rugby.

"It [The police behaviour] was completely unacceptable."

As well as hurting his elbow, Mr Mahon said his father, in his 40s, hit his head on the floor in the fall and suffered a gash on his leg.

_92225376_e90929cb-938a-4563-91f9-36d1c5

He said his father, who has had to take time off from his job as a warehouse worker, went to see a doctor and was told he may have chipped his elbow.

The video, taken by Scott Findlay, has been shared dozens of times on social media.

Ch Insp Brian Carmichael, from West Midlands Police's standards department, said: "The circumstances surrounding the incident and actions of the officers involved will be investigated…we expect the highest standards from all our staff and anyone found to have acted inappropriately will face disciplinary action."

Officers arrested 14 people during the afternoon, on suspicion of a range of offences including violent disorder, pitch encroachment and affray.

The match marked the first time the second city rivals had met in a league game for five years and followed Villa's relegation to The Championship.

It finished 1-1 after goals from Gary Gardner and David Davis.

No surprise that WMP are heavy handed thugs, tbh. I've had few complaints about any other force in the country about how I've personally been treated (I know, I know, SYP aren't exactly great!), but I always get the impression some of WMP can't wait for something to kick off so they can wade in. 

Bonus points for the officer who shoves away the other fan for checking if the fallen bloke is ok, while the police don't give a shit. Scum.

Edited by Davkaus

That article might be a decent response to the WMP Villa tweet that complimented our fans on their behaviour :P

"Thanks.  Looks like you lot need some practice though :thumb: "

that looks like a johnsons coach in front so i'll assume thats a villa fans coach, the copper who pushes him over looks like he's trying to rush past him to give the bloke on the floor a bit more of a pasting, which seeing as at least 2 cops have their sticks out im guessing he was up to no good

its bad and based on the bloke seemingly doing something wrong already being on the floor surrounding by several coppers its unnecessary for him to join in, its also unnecessary for the copper to use the force that he did but tin hat on its not quite what the story is portraying, its occurred because of a lack of consideration for him, i dont think theres any malice involved 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

that looks like a johnsons coach in front so i'll assume thats a villa fans coach, the copper who pushes him over looks like he's trying to rush past him to give the bloke on the floor a bit more of a pasting, which seeing as at least 2 cops have their sticks out im guessing he was up to no good

its bad and based on the bloke seemingly doing something wrong already being on the floor surrounding by several coppers its unnecessary for him to join in, its also unnecessary for the copper to use the force that he did but tin hat on its not quite what the story is portraying, its occurred because of a lack of consideration for him, i dont think theres any malice involved 

Yeah, I thought it was going to be a blatant shove and a sneer, whereas it looks like Plod pushes the guy out of the way in a rush to get to some action.

Â