Second City

shambles

Second City  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Second City

• Birmingham
    • Manchester

It doesn't require much thought, its a fact - Birmingham

The reason being, the city of Manchester ISN'T that big, Manchester appear to want to add, Salford and all the other council areas to get their population figures - real population of Manchester is under half a million. These other areas include Bolton, Rochdale, Oldham etc etc and these are all towns in their own right, Salford is in fact another city. If Manchester can add up all those areas population then Birmingham can add the whole of the West Midlands conurbation, Its a close run thing but the population of the West Mids is still Greater than Greater Manchester

Isn't Brum already the second city?

Have a scout round t'internet and you will see Manchester marketing itself as the second city.

In fact they have a second city display in the urbis gallery discussing this, last time I checked it out the "debate" was being won by the brummies. It involved a load of post it notes on a wall

It doesn't require much thought, its a fact - Birmingham

The reason being, the city of Manchester ISN'T that big, Manchester appear to want to add, Salford and all the other council areas to get their population figures - real population of Manchester is under half a million. These other areas include Bolton, Rochdale, Oldham etc etc and these are all towns in their own right, Salford is in fact another city. If Manchester can add up all those areas population then Birmingham can add the whole of the West Midlands conurbation, Its a close run thing but the population of the West Mids is still Greater than Greater Manchester

If second city status refers specifically to size and size alone then you are bang on. The 2001 census shows that Manchester is actually about the 6th biggest city, some 600k people behind Birmingham. And as you say, even when refering to the the metropolitan areas/conurbations, "Greater" Birmingham (i.e. West Midlands) is still larger than Greater Manchester ( but only by approx 200k). I cant see that much has changed since the 2001 Census to change this all that much.

However, there is an argument that suggests second city should take into account more than just population size, so it depends on criteria. Based on population, Birmingham definately is the second city, although other criteria may suggest differently

There isn't actually any official recognised Second City. Birmingham is the second largest by a long shot, but opinion polls generally point towards Manchester, based on the fact that more people like it and 40% of all good bands ever come from there.

That said, I have a building sized chip on my shoulder about this and I will physically fight anybody who suggests it is Manchester.

Isn't Brum already the second city?

Have a scout round t'internet and you will see Manchester marketing itself as the second city.

In fact they have a second city display in the urbis gallery discussing this, last time I checked it out the "debate" was being won by the brummies. It involved a load of post it notes on a wall

Really? Interesting, shall have to go and make my point. Bicks is right in that, Manchester is surrounded by towns (Stockport, Bolton, Bury, Oldham etc) as well as the issue being confused with the Trafford area being run by a different council. More and more these towns are being associated with Manchester. If you look at the size of Manchester without these towns, it's really very small. I mean, Salford is almost part of Manchester city centre and Stockport must be about 4 miles away from it. The truth is even though I live in Manchester, Birmingham is by far the bigger and better city.

The second City is Birmingham. Fact. If they want to throw in oldham, salford and those lot, we'll start adding Wolves, Walsall and Cov!!! (mkaybe Kiddy :wink:)

Could we do that if wolverhampton and coventry are cities in there own right

EDIT: So is Salford so why the hell not

The second City is Birmingham. Fact. If they want to throw in oldham, salford and those lot, we'll start adding Wolves, Walsall and Cov!!! (mkaybe Kiddy :wink:)

Salford is a city in its own right, its boundary also starts about a mile or less from Deansgate in Manchster

Salford is a city in its own right, its boundary also starts about a mile or less from Deansgate in Manchster

Just realised after I submitted my response :oops:

EDIT: So is Salford so why the hell not

I'm quite sure that the residents of Wolves and Cov would be in uproar about being a part of Birmingham, in much the same case as those of Oldham, Stockport and Bolton would be as part of Manchester.

Manchester is not as big as Leeds.

Â