Second City

shambles

Second City  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Second City

• Birmingham
    • Manchester

It doesn't require much thought, its a fact - Birmingham

The reason being, the city of Manchester ISN'T that big, Manchester appear to want to add, Salford and all the other council areas to get their population figures - real population of Manchester is under half a million. These other areas include Bolton, Rochdale, Oldham etc etc and these are all towns in their own right, Salford is in fact another city. If Manchester can add up all those areas population then Birmingham can add the whole of the West Midlands conurbation, Its a close run thing but the population of the West Mids is still Greater than Greater Manchester

If second city status refers specifically to size and size alone then you are bang on. The 2001 census shows that Manchester is actually about the 6th biggest city, some 600k people behind Birmingham. And as you say, even when refering to the the metropolitan areas/conurbations, "Greater" Birmingham (i.e. West Midlands) is still larger than Greater Manchester ( but only by approx 200k). I cant see that much has changed since the 2001 Census to change this all that much.

However, there is an argument that suggests second city should take into account more than just population size, so it depends on criteria. Based on population, Birmingham definately is the second city, although other criteria may suggest differently

What other criteria?

It doesn't require much thought, its a fact - Birmingham

The reason being, the city of Manchester ISN'T that big, Manchester appear to want to add, Salford and all the other council areas to get their population figures - real population of Manchester is under half a million. These other areas include Bolton, Rochdale, Oldham etc etc and these are all towns in their own right, Salford is in fact another city. If Manchester can add up all those areas population then Birmingham can add the whole of the West Midlands conurbation, Its a close run thing but the population of the West Mids is still Greater than Greater Manchester

If second city status refers specifically to size and size alone then you are bang on. The 2001 census shows that Manchester is actually about the 6th biggest city, some 600k people behind Birmingham. And as you say, even when refering to the the metropolitan areas/conurbations, "Greater" Birmingham (i.e. West Midlands) is still larger than Greater Manchester ( but only by approx 200k). I cant see that much has changed since the 2001 Census to change this all that much.

However, there is an argument that suggests second city should take into account more than just population size, so it depends on criteria. Based on population, Birmingham definately is the second city, although other criteria may suggest differently

What other criteria?

People have suggested that economic productivity, peoples awareness of the city from other countries , the influence of the city on the political structure of the country, the historical importance of the city and the impact the city (and its inhabitants) have had on popular culture should all be considered, as well as a host of other criteria, rather than just the size of the place. God knows what the second city is if all this is taken into account. Im from Brum tho, so for me that will always be the second city

Unfortunately, Birmingham City FC are still based in Birmingham.

When they become Oswestry Town Ladies FC, Birmingham will be so much better off ;)

I think the fact manchester has one of the biggest football clubs in the world makes more people aware of it across the globe, whereas we have a bunch of clowns representing our city

As a foreigner who've been to both cities, I have no doubt Birmingham is the bigger city in every meaning of the word. However, being a Villa fan does make me biased so it would certainly be interesting to hear from someone who disagrees and thinks Manchester is bigger.

Once you're tagged 'The Second City' I don't think you can go back. Chicago is still called the Second City even though Los Angeles has passed it in terms of population. So, even if Manchester was to annex enought towns to pass in population there's precedent for you.

The only reason Manchester is even considered for the second city is because it spends so much money on claiming to be. Its council seems to be obsessed with self promotion. Birmingham is bigger, more important politically (the largest council in europe), financially, geographically (the centre of England, providing links to the whole country used so much by industry) and educationally (universities).

Manchester go on about their cultural importance by quoting a few bands from a 10 year range, so what? If that was an important factor the scousers would be higher up the ranking. They go on about their sporting facilities but apart from the football stadiums they only have a few things built for the commonwealth games, does the cycling track stand up to the NIA in terms of international competitions.

Just a quick thought. Given his high profile and his influence within the local media, how much difference will the death of professional Manc, Anthony H Wilson (god rest his soul) make in the number of claims Manchester makes of its own importance?

Im sure he was a driving figure behind a lot of it.

No contest.

Bleeding manc is a dog hole , always was, always will be, made me laugh going back to the supposed "hey day" of Madchester - had you ever been to Manchester - it was awful - much better nights out in towns like Sheffield, Newcastle.

Just this media invention on the back of oasis and The happy Mondays

As somebody has pointed out, if you go to Manchester you'll see loads of small companies calling themselves "Second City...(this, that or the other)". I'm sure loads of Mancs actually think that they are officially second.

But they're wrong.

It's always been Brum, it always will be.

When they become Oswestry Town Ladies FC, Birmingham will be so much better off ;)

I think the fact manchester has one of the biggest football clubs in the world makes more people aware of it across the globe, whereas we have a bunch of clowns representing our city

This is Man Citeh we're talking about? Man Utd being part of Trafford!

look at some factors

football - We invented the Football league, thay have Man Ure - draw

Cricket - the Bears won the league 5 years ago, the manc neary 70 - win

music - We have Black Sabbath, they have the Wilson lot and more - narrow loss

Industy - city of a thousand trades, the spitfire, Austin 7, Jag, they have the Cotton inductry and IT - Convincing win

Politics - more cabinet level minister than any other city than London, Joe chamberlin, founder of the modern city - easy win

This is Man Citeh we're talking about? Man Utd being part of Trafford!

yeh but its not called trafford united is it? Manchester United raises global awareness of Manchester, whether it is located there or not

Â