Second City

shambles

Second City  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Second City

• Birmingham
    • Manchester

Have lived in both cities, the only thing Brum does better is curries.

What do you prefer in Manc? Not having a go, just interested. Personally i prefer Liverpool to Manchester as a city and have never liked Manc at all

Not answering for Risso, but as another (sort of) "both Cities" bod, I would say Manchester has a lot going for it.

The centre of town is quite well contained, has been modernised very well. The pubs are, overall, better. The public transport is better, with the Trams.

You can get a good curry in both places, IMO. Chinatown is better in Manchester, perhaps.

Where Manchester falls short is that it is less "international" than Brum - it does seem more provincial (which doesn't have to be a bad thing).

While they might try to claim (ridiculously) that they are the second City, they are more realistically the top Northern City (despite size).

I like Liverpool a lot, another place with great pubs and culture, but it's kind of like an Island. It is "different". It's basically the underdog, and plays that part, whereas Manchester plays the Big "I am".

The music scene is vibrant in both Manchester and Liverpool, more so perhaps than Brum.

Basically all 3 places kind of reap what they sow. Brum for Donkeys years has been selling itself on it's central position and links with Europe, Manchester sells itself on boldness and Liverpool plays the plucky underdog with some serious virtues.

Manchester's regeneration and distance from London are what it bases it's claim around - because of the distance, it has a media hub for the North, whereas Brum is too close to warrant a similar media thing.

Manchester was also the birthplace of the co-operative movement, unions, standing up for the little man, and general reactionary forces for change.

They're all great places, but only Brum has the Villa.

I've never heard Manchester being referred to as the second city?

It's Brum, always has been, always will.

Close the thread please, there's nothing to see here.... :winkold:

Manchester has considered itself to be Britain's 2nd for a while. But it isn't. Birmingham has and always will be Britain's 2nd City. End of.

I live in Preston. At school the other day i had this argument, and because of where preston is positioned i just got told Birmingham is a ****hole. i asked the people who said manchester whether they had ever been to brum and they said no.... so how the **** can they make their mind up..... i stood my ground obviously and fought for my city..... i have lived in both cities and can tell you all who might like the life up north then stay away..... its cold and dirty.......birmingham 4ever

Â